DRAM led lights continuously

satellite1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Have a ASUS motherboard M4A87TD. The DRAM light stays on and monitor will not display. Read the manual and it said to hold down mem ok button. Did this and the monitor displays and goes to an Asus screen where the internet can be accessed and some other choices. This is not the screen that the computer normally boots to. The internet can be accessed and displayed from this screen. However, if the internet is not picked from this screen in 10 sec's or so it will go to another Asus screen. Some choices from this screen are boot menu , core unlocker and a couple more. Tried to access bios( to reset factory settings) or any other choice from this screen but mouse and keyboard will not work. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
It sounds to me like using the Mem ok button is doing what it is supposed to. That board has a feature called "ASUS Express Gate" that is supposed to let you access the internet without actually booting into an operating system. I have an ASUS motherboard that has that and it did come up by default when I first installed the mobo. I've never actually used it because it doesn't support a wireless network. If you're getting into that then the system is Posting.

However, in order to help you any further meor info. is necessary.

1. Are you building a new system?
2. Are you trying to upgrade an existing system?
3. Is this a new problem with an existing system that has worked before?
4. Regardless of the answers to questions 1, 2 and 3, what is your complete system specs?
5. What OS are you running or planning to install?

satellite1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Since Express Gate is posting, does this mean it is a software/bios issue rather than a component?

System was built about 19 months ago. Approximately 4 months ago the system had a new psu, motheboard and videocard replaced. No video signal to the monitor. The system has worked without the light coming on and being able to boot to the main screen.

Still cannot get to the main screen where all the programs show up for Windows. After holding led light down it will get to Express Gate and then to the motherboard where somehow BIOS was accessed. Tried one section of the Bios that said restore system defaults. The light still came back on and not being able to get to main screen. Not sure of how to get to Bios again. Sometimes the keyboard or mouse will not work. Need some step by step advice. Thanks for your help.

System specs:

Motheboard- Asus M4A87TD/USB3
PSU- Thermaltake TR2 500W
Video Card- EVGA GeForce GT430 1024MB DDR3
CPU- AMD Phenom II X3 720
Memory- Corsair 4gb DDR3
Hard Drive- WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
Case- Cooler Master Centurion 590
OS- Windows 7 Home 64 bit

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
OK, what I am hearing is that this is an existing system that has worked before, that you have recently done some upgrades after which the system worked fine for about four months. Soo... it's basically a brand new problem. Make sure you have a wired keyboard and mouse. Wireless keyboards do not always work with the BIOS screen.

In answer to your question, "Since Express Gate is posting, does this mean it is a software/bios issue rather than a component?" Possibly, but we need to figure out where the problem is originating from.

Did you follow itzdanielp's suggestion to clear CMOS and try to reboot again. You can clear CMOS by either shorting the Clear CMOS jumper or by removing the battery for a few minutes and then putting it back. Make sure the power is OFF before you do either. Look in your motherboard manual for how to do it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I have been taking a look around the ASUS Forums for the DRAM LED lights continuosly issue. Seems a fairly common problem. One that I found enlightening though suggests that the you could have a RAM failure. I should've thought of that right off. Have you tried using only one stick of RAM at a time. Check your mobo manual to be sure of which slot to put it into. Cycle each of your ram sticks through one at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them works and the other(s) don't.

satellite1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The motheboard has 4 slots for the ram to be put into. To explain how the sticks were changed: from left to right A,B,C,D slots. The sticks are in A and B slots. Stick 1 in slot A and stick 2 in slot B. Removed stick 2 from slot B and rebooted and computer got to the proper startup screen. This worked. Put stick 2 in slot A and removed stick 1 from slot A, works. Put stick 1 in slot B, no stick in slot A works. Put sticks back into original position and the light came on and did not work. Stick 2 slot A and stick 1 in B slot, not working. Seems that having both sticks in at once it will not boot up. Thanks.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
OK, now we're getting somewhere. I finally managed to get the ASUS Manual for your mobo downloaded so I can look at your specs a little better. For some reason the ASUS website was broken yesterday.

Here's some things to check.

First you lets redefine the layout of the your memory slots to match what the manual says. Manual labels them as Dimm_A1, Dimm_A2, Dimm_B1, Dimm_B2. Slots A1, B1 are the first pair referred to as Channel A and slots A2, B2 are the second pair, Channel B. A1 is the one closest to the CPU socket. Install your memory sticks in slots A1, B1 (first and third slots) and see if it works. If it does that could be your solution but I would still suspect a problem with one of your memory sticks until you can prove otherwise.

So, since you said that both of your memory sticks work individually, now make sure that they are actually fully functional.

You'll need to Get a copy of Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/download.html ) and verifiy that the first memory stick installed in slot A1 is working by running a test overnight. Then do the same with the second stick. If both sticks pass this test then install both sticks in slots A1,B1 and try to run memtest again.

satellite1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Ran memtest86 and then some on one stick. No errors so far. Stopped test. How long should the test be run for? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS