England2010

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi guys,

I have an issue after upgrading my PC recently and am having difficulty finding a solution. The problem is a BSOD during the windows 7 splash, right after the POST screen. It happens everytime i turn on the pc with the new hardware installed. I haven't overclocked anything, everything is compatible with each other, plenty of airflow and my CPU temperature (according to BIOS) is well under control at about 29C.

The spec i am attempting to run, is an i7 950 (stock speeds...for now), 6GB DDR3 1600mhz OCZ Platinum, Asus 5770 1gb card, all hooked up to an Asus P6x58D-E board powered by a 500W OCZ PSU. I am using 2 HDD, both of which were from my previous PC, 1 of which contains my OS (windows 7 professional) the other is just for generic storage. I'm fairly stumped as to what the issue is to be honest, I originally assumed it was my PSU, so i have tried a couple of calculators which gave me the same result and shows that 500W is pushing it, but none the less can run the system.

One thing i am unsure of however, and cant seem to find an answer too anywhere, is if my old HDD with windows on contains drivers for my old hardware, would this cause a conflict with anything i wish to use now? If anyone could shed some light on how to resolve my issue and get me to my desktop, it would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Adam

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
What did you upgrade?

If you're expecting to re-use your old OS from your old hard drive, good luck trying to get it to run. I've never had one work before.

You have to reformat it if you've switched the motherboard and CPU.

England2010

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
It was originally a packard bell PC, i just re-used the HDD for the OS and data i already have on there. Other than that nothing else was used. The PSU is my own which i have had for about 12 months and have used on another PC, so its in working order.

The mobo was replaced, as was the GFXcard, CPU, RAM, and 2 fans. I'm no longer using a CPU fan, instead i have a megahalems tower (which annoyingly at POST brings up a "CPU fan error!" message which i would love to remove hehe).

I do have a fully working version of windows 7 professional if i have to resort to a clean install. I have all my uni programs on the HDD though so could really do without losing them preferably.

Hope that helps any

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Is that hard drive at least Sata 3 g/bs?
If not, I would also upgrade that component.

You have a kickass motherboard, CPU, and GPU. Old hard drives will bottleneck your system like crazy. Consider getting an SSD. Prices on them are coming down as I write this. 60GB is good for a boot drive. I wouldn't go any hight unless you really need the space or the price is cheap.

England2010

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Okay guys thanks for the info. I went ahead and did a clean install of windows, which went fine. Installed okay, got me on the desktop and i began to install the MoBo drivers.

Encountered another problem however... The PC restarted after installing a chipset driver, which it prompted me about before hand. As soon as it rebooted, it continually restarts itself even before POST. I thought it a memory issue (Because it originally allowed me to install windows), however when running memtest on a single stick of RAM (out of the 3 i have) it restarted itself after about 7 minutes of testing. Now im totally confused, does this mean i have found the faulty RAM module, or could there be an underlying problem such as an issue with my motherboard, or my PSU not being powerful enough? I wouldn't mind, i have built and set up enough PC's before now to have a fairly competent understanding of how to troubleshoot issues, but this one has me stumped well and truly!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

England2010

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi Mosox,

could that have such a dramatic impact on the PC? i.e, the rolling restarts before POST etc?

Also, when i am on the desktop, as soon as i plug in my external HDD, the PC switches off. Do you think that has anything to do with the problems im experiencing currently.

thanks