Solved

SSD installation for a Dell Inspiron 580?

Hello,

I am planning to buy a SSD for my brother's PC which is a Dell Inspiron 580. I believe it uses H57 chipset with SATA-2 interface and I have to make sure the BIOS is set to AHCI. So hardware wise I'm not too afraid because I know it will be compatible. My main concern is with the Windows 7 OEM re-installation. As you know, Dell only gives you a "Recovery CD" which isn't like a full clean install. Basically it's just an image that's pushed back to the drive. Since that image already contains drivers and specific configurations will it give me a BSOD? I guess not and I think it will work, but I'm just wondering if anybody had experience with this? Either with Dell or another manufacturer that is also using recovery CDs? I would hate to loose the legit OEM Windows license and have to install another version.

There's also a hidden recovery partition on the disk, will that partition use the same space percentage since the SSD will be smaller? I might want to delete it to gain more space since he already has a Recovery CD so that partition isn't mandatory.

I also happen to own a Dell Insprion 15R laptop (N5110) and I was also considering getting an SSD for it. Same scenario here I only have a Recovery CD, so the same question stands for my laptop too! Will using a recovery CD on a newly installed SSD work?

Thank you.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installation dell inspiron
  1. I would hate to loose the legit OEM Windows license and have to install another version. < Would only matter if you switched motherboards.
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    I would hate to loose the legit OEM Windows license and have to install another version. < Would only matter if you switched motherboards.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know how OEM licenses work. But my question was will the recovery CD works on a SSD? In the sense that I won't get a BSOD or something? I guess it should work, but I just want to be 100% sure before I buy the SSD.
  3. Best answer
    In theory it should work as long as the bios is setup right.I performed an install with an HP 6005 pro,with no glitches.Done with two recovery discs.
  4. It should be okay. You could contact Dell and ask just to make sure

I've done an ssd install on a Sony desktop pc and a laptop using recovery discs and didn't have any problems.

5. Thanks to both of you guys, I'll go with the plan then.

I think I will also buy one for my gamer machine and another one for my laptop. With the prices dropping, it's the year of the SSD! Haha! Funny that you mention HP 6005 Pro because I have many of them at work too so I might start to put some SSD in them as well.
  6. Best answer selected by MC_K7.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Dell Inspiron Storage Product