Sandy bridge/bulldozer

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Can anybody tell me if Sandy bridge or Bulldozer are going to have a major impact on gaming. I want to build a system but not sure if i should wait.

Err

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

No render/encode *now* something like Rana 445 + GTX 460/HD 5850 for awesome frames/$$

AlExAkE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Agree with butachka. Keep in mind that most/all new 2011 processors will be using a new smaller chip 32nm, instead of the 45nm. This will significantly lower the power consumption and therefor the heat released too, so theoretically you might have more room for overclocking and getting better performance. Some 2011 CPUs will be 6 cores, rather then the 4 that are mainstream right now.

As far as the GPU goes, you are better of waiting till next year too. The GTX 400 series tent to run too hot and too laud in load, as nVidia admitted that Fermi is a fail for them. The next generation is coming in 2011 as well.

On top of all that, the new generation motherboards are coming with a new socket 2011 ( just like the year), which will integrate Sata 6GB and USB 3.0 very likely native. There is also a hope for RAID controller that support TRIM for the SSDs.

SSDs with 500MB read/write on SanFroce 2nd gen too.

Basically 2011 will be the year to hold of if i were you and not in a hurry right now.

Keep in mind that 1st person shooter games require more GPU. All actions games need lots of graphics memory and speed.

Most strategy games need more CPU, so its really up to what games u are running.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok thank you. Sorry if question seems stupid, but i am very new to this world. So i take it 2011 will be particularly special in terms of new hardware, and subsequently worth waiting for. I was just worried that there will always be new stuff coming out and if i keep waiting i will never get going. But if you think next year is worth waiting for i guess i should do that as i dont want to spend 1000£ on a pc only to realise i should have waited a few months. Very haero sit on my hands and be patient though.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok thanks, i guess if i waited this long a few months should be ok. Im actually thinking of building a cheaper rig and then giving to my girlfriend.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I have a dell c521 slimline. Ive heard its far from the most upgradable. Athlon x2 3800+ 2 gb ddr2. Although works perfect for basic internet and word stuff. I think main prob is 280 psu.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
LOL, so you see where im coming from. Like some stone age monster waking up and about to use an ipod. Do you think i should wait for sandy bridge at least and new ati 9000 range and then see where to go, and just play xbox for now.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok thanks for that, i guess would be foolish not to wait. Ive just bought a 9600gt off ebay gonna stick it in c521 as ive heard it can work. Should get me started with some pc gaming. I could upgrade athlon x2 3800 to a 5600 do you think i would see much improvment. Not just for games but with pc in general.

^ Most of the Dell PSUs are Seasonic built and are under rated from my understanding. Usually, the PSUs are about 350W, which should be just enough for a 9600GT (non- PCIe connecot version).

@OP: Can you post a pic or list the ratings on your Dell PSU?

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
The PSU is 280. I have spoke to a couple of people who said this can work. I know im pushing it. But im gonna wait till just after christmas for new build and was hoping this card would let me play some games on low settings. Card was 50£