Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High pitched noise from USB ports please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 9, 2011 3:37:07 AM

Hey guys,

I noticed this high pitch noise coming from my USB ports when I plug some stuff in (sounds like that high pitch noise you hear when you turn your CRT tv on). My mouse adapter makes it happen and my xbox controller adapter makes it too. My keyboard, webcam and printer don't seem to be making any noise. It makes that noise with the mouse adapter both at the back directly connected to the board as well as in the front of the case. I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3. Does anyone know wth is going on? The noise is so damn annoying!
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 3:42:10 AM

Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard speaker connector? If so try unplugging it and see if the noise goes away.
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 3:49:05 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard speaker connector? If so try unplugging it and see if the noise goes away.


Yeah I do have speakers connected to my motherboard connector... I'll try when I hear the noise again... Why would that be the cause?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 4:10:47 AM

Hmm, I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be a problem with the speaker system. What type of speaker system do you have hooked up?

Whenever I heard the noise I could turn ofo the speakers and it would go quiet. I never figured out exactly what was happening but after about a month of that annoyance the speakers failed entirely. I think the speaker amplifier was causing feedback backward through the speaker wires.

Actually, though, I was referring to the motherboard speaker that is connected to the header that also has the power LED, HDD LED, power switch, reset switch and system speaker. If you have that speaker connected you will hear a single short beep when you power up that indicates a successful post.
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 4:28:52 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Hmm, I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be a problem with the speaker system. What type of speaker system do you have hooked up?

Whenever I heard the noise I could turn ofo the speakers and it would go quiet. I never figured out exactly what was happening but after about a month of that annoyance the speakers failed entirely. I think the speaker amplifier was causing feedback backward through the speaker wires.

Actually, though, I was referring to the motherboard speaker that is connected to the header that also has the power LED, HDD LED, power switch, reset switch and system speaker. If you have that speaker connected you will hear a single short beep when you power up that indicates a successful post.


Oh yeah I do have that plugged in, but the noise is coming out of the USB ports and I don't think its coming out of the motherboard speaker
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 4:50:30 AM

It seems really strange to me that the sound could actually come out of the USB ports themselves. Like you said, next time it happens unplug the speakers (include the system speaker - you can pull it out CAREFULLY with the power on) and see what happens. If the sound goes away when you unplug the sound system speakers, then try another set of speakers and see what happens.

If the sound is coming from the system speaker or from the USB ports then you might have a problem related to the motherboard. I would try breadboarding the system in case you have some sort of short or a crossed signal path somewhere. Do you know how to breadboard it? (see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste... )

I am assuming that everything else is working OK, is that correct?
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 4:58:22 AM

JKatwyopc said:
It seems really strange to me that the sound could actually come out of the USB ports themselves. Like you said, next time it happens unplug the speakers (include the system speaker - you can pull it out CAREFULLY with the power on) and see what happens. If the sound goes away when you unplug the sound system speakers, then try another set of speakers and see what happens.

If the sound is coming from the system speaker or from the USB ports then you might have a problem related to the motherboard. I would try breadboarding the system in case you have some sort of short or a crossed signal path somewhere. Do you know how to breadboard it? (see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste... )

I am assuming that everything else is working OK, is that correct?


Everything else is running just perfect. I built this system myself about 2 and a half weeks ago and there has been absolutely no problems.

So the reason I say the sound is emanating from the USB port is because when I put my ear closest to the USB slot, thats when I can hear the noise best. With my ear still there, I unplug the mouse adapter and boom. Noise gone. Plug it in, noise is back. This is happening with more than 1 port and my mouse adapter. Today I plugged the mouse adapter into a USB 3 port, and so far no sounds at all. I initially thought the sound was coming from inside the mouse adapter, but today when I had my xbox controller adapter plugged in I heard the noise again. I removed the mouse adapter from the USB 3 and the sound was still there. Then I removed the xbox thing and it went away. So its coming from USB 2 ports and not always and only on my mouse so far and today my xbox thing.
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 6:46:32 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Hmm, I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be a problem with the speaker system. What type of speaker system do you have hooked up?

Whenever I heard the noise I could turn ofo the speakers and it would go quiet. I never figured out exactly what was happening but after about a month of that annoyance the speakers failed entirely. I think the speaker amplifier was causing feedback backward through the speaker wires.

Actually, though, I was referring to the motherboard speaker that is connected to the header that also has the power LED, HDD LED, power switch, reset switch and system speaker. If you have that speaker connected you will hear a single short beep when you power up that indicates a successful post.



Also, if it does end up being the motherboard speaker thing, what can I do to get it working? Would I just have to replace the part or will I never be able to have a mobo speaker? It does make the POST beep fine right now.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 4:14:15 PM

That's why I am suggesting that you breadboard your computer. You could have a short or a signal crossed or maybe some kind of feedback coming out of your case. The fact that it only does it with the mouse and/or the xbox controller suggests that its something to do with the motherboard or one of those two devices. Does the noise happen when only one of those is plugged in or is it always when both are plugged in?
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 11:27:11 PM

JKatwyopc said:
That's why I am suggesting that you breadboard your computer. You could have a short or a signal crossed or maybe some kind of feedback coming out of your case. The fact that it only does it with the mouse and/or the xbox controller suggests that its something to do with the motherboard or one of those two devices. Does the noise happen when only one of those is plugged in or is it always when both are plugged in?


The noise happens only on USB 2.0 ports (its fine on USB 3.0) and happens when I plug in my mouse adapter OR my xbox adapter. I pulled out the motherboard speaker today and I think its still happening. I looked at the breadboarding thing and it seems to be that it helps with a lot of non boot issues... I don't know what from there I'd need to try to troubleshoot this. The ONLY thing I can think of that I might have done wrong was maybe switch polarities with the bunch of things that go into those slots where the motherboard speakers go. But I did triple check those before I plugged them in, and they are all working anyway. So I don't know.
m
0
l
September 12, 2011 1:25:51 AM

Ok so I've done some more extensive testing. Some kind of breadboarding... I opened up the computer and disconnected everything except the HDD, PSU, case power cable to the power header on the mobo, CPU + fan, one RAM stick and the two power cables into the motherboard. I then turned on the system and waited till when Windows was probably at the log in screen. Then plugged in the mouse adapter. The noise still came on and it seemed to be coming from the back area of the motherboard though I can not be 100% sure as it was hard to localize. Its hard to describe the exact sound, but I'll give it a go. It sounds like what a hard drive reading sounds like except very high pitched and not super loud. It sounds like reading for a few ish seconds then becomes a constant whine. As soon as I pull it out, its gone. This sound comes from the back area of the motherboard whether I plug it into the front case USB 2.0 port or directly at the back to the motherboard 2.0 port. The same adapter makes NO noise whatsoever as soon as I pull it out and plug it into any USB 3.0 ports on my system. Same with my xbox adapter.

My wireless keyboard on the other hand, also has a tiny USB adapter just like my mouse, but that makes no sound whatsoever when plugged in. Nor does my flash drive or anything else thats currently plugged in so far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 5:12:09 AM

The reason I am suggesting that you bread board it is that I suspect you may have a short somewhere causing some kind of vibration. You could also have a problem with your power supply. Breadboarding is basically building the computer outside of or without a case. Just make sure that you don't put you bare motherboard on top of any loose screws or anything metal and always touch the metal of your PSU before touching any components. You can turn on the power by using the case power switch if you carefully connect it without letting the case touch your loose components. Is that what you did?

If you have the mobo out of the case and it still makes noise then I would suggest you try a different PSU. If you can, borrow one from a friend or from another computer.
m
0
l
September 12, 2011 6:39:58 AM

JKatwyopc said:
The reason I am suggesting that you bread board it is that I suspect you may have a short somewhere causing some kind of vibration. You could also have a problem with your power supply. Breadboarding is basically building the computer outside of or without a case. Just make sure that you don't put you bare motherboard on top of any loose screws or anything metal and always touch the metal of your PSU before touching any components. You can turn on the power by using the case power switch if you carefully connect it without letting the case touch your loose components. Is that what you did?

If you have the mobo out of the case and it still makes noise then I would suggest you try a different PSU. If you can, borrow one from a friend or from another computer.


Oh ok then no thats not what I did... I unplugged everything unnecessary but still used it from inside the box. I don't think I'll breadboard it, its way too much of a hassle plus I don't have another PSU... I guess I'll just have to live with it :/ 
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 3:03:19 AM

I am also having the same exact issues with that motherboard. And it didn't start until a few weeks after putting the computer together as well.

Did you ever solve the problem or just really end up "living with it"? I found that overclocking lowered the volume of the sound so that I can't hear it, but I can feel vibration/pressure in my ears while the computer is running.

It's really starting to drive me crazy...
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 3:09:13 AM

bostonmasaru said:
I am also having the same exact issues with that motherboard. And it didn't start until a few weeks after putting the computer together as well.

Did you ever solve the problem or just really end up "living with it"? I found that overclocking lowered the volume of the sound so that I can't hear it, but I can feel vibration/pressure in my ears while the computer is running.

It's really starting to drive me crazy...



I haven't resolved it yet since I don't know if its a motherboard problem or PSU problem. I don't have another PSU to test with. What board do you have?
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 3:31:33 AM

I have a GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, which is why I found this thread. I don't know why it would be the PSU, since everything worked perfectly for 3-4 weeks. But the sound is very clearly coming from the actual USB ports in the back. Have you tried overclocking a bit? As I stated in my first post, that did help a bit.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 3:59:56 AM

bostonmasaru said:
I have a GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, which is why I found this thread. I don't know why it would be the PSU, since everything worked perfectly for 3-4 weeks. But the sound is very clearly coming from the actual USB ports in the back. Have you tried overclocking a bit? As I stated in my first post, that did help a bit.


I haven't tried OCing... I don't really want to have to OC to have the noise go away. But yeah I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the baord too but I'm not sure if its because of the board or the PSU. Its got to be one or the other because I had the noise when only the board and PSU were connected. (And one RAM chip). I am very close to calling Gigabyte and asking for a replacement...
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 4:03:35 PM

I fixed it on a hunch. Try flashing to bios F7, making sure to select 'load cmos dfault after bios flash' and 'clear dmi data pool'. Everything is working great now! :bounce: 
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 4:09:42 PM

I've already flashed to F7! But could you please tell me your exact procedure and I will flash it just like you did. Hopefully that will work
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 4:26:56 PM

I just checked, I actually have an even newer F8 BIOS
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 10:52:07 PM

Yeah, F8 is what caused the problem for me apparently. The only thing I did was flash to F7 while selecting 'load cmos dfault after bios flash' and 'clear dmi data pool'.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 11:14:10 PM

bostonmasaru said:
Yeah, F8 is what caused the problem for me apparently. The only thing I did was flash to F7 while selecting 'load cmos dfault after bios flash' and 'clear dmi data pool'.


What I meant was did you flash from the BIOS though a USB stick? Also can you check your BIOS and look under the advanced CPU settings and see if you have c1e and c3/c6 on auto or disabled?

Thanks!
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 2:08:39 PM

I flashed using @bios which comes with the motherboard/on the website. Just open it up and tell it where the bios file is (saved it in my download folder). All c states are enabled, since I selected "load cmos default after bios flash". All power saving options are on and it's running quiet.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 4:37:37 PM

bostonmasaru said:
I flashed using @bios which comes with the motherboard/on the website. Just open it up and tell it where the bios file is (saved it in my download folder). All c states are enabled, since I selected "load cmos default after bios flash". All power saving options are on and it's running quiet.


Ok because I now have the problem fixed! I just went into the BIOS and disabled both c1e and c3/c6 and now NO sound whatsoever! F8 BIOS too!
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 5:30:47 PM

Hi, guys...
I've just signed in to thanks to all for your help, as Lok3sh who starts the tread.

I was experiencing similar problem: when connecting my earphones to my z68x-ud4-b3 front connector, mounted on a Thermaltake Level10 GT with a Corsair 650TX PSU, I've got normal sound AND a terribly frustrating background noise!

Doing as said, solved my problem. I actually kept C1e enabled (or Auto) and disabled c3/c6.

Best regards,
Joyslan
m
0
l
!