Sign in with
Your question

What exactly will this 16GB SSD do for me? Y580

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2013 12:51:36 AM

Well I recently purchased a Lenovo Y580 laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As you can see, it comes with a 16gb SSD. I was wondering, what exactly will this be used for? All I'm really interested in is faster boot/wake up times, I don't really need it to use any programs, but will it do that?

I heard that it is a cache drive, and it "learns" what you use most and speeds that up. But all I really want is the OS to boot up faster and wake ups to be faster.

Is it a hybrid drive, where the drives are together? Or are they separate and the OS is installed on the SSD?

I would really like some help with this guys.

Thanks.

More about : 16gb ssd y580

a c 256 G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:57:28 AM

The 16GB ssd is simply used as a cache to improve the performance of the hard disk drive.

It is not a hybrid drive. The ssd and the hard drive are separate drives.

All software applications including the OS are installed on the hard drive.
January 24, 2013 1:59:05 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
The 16GB ssd is simply used as a cache drive to improve the performance of the hard disk drive.

It is not a hybrid drive. The ssd and the hard drive are separate drives.

All software including the OS are installed on the hard drive.

So, what exactly does it do though? If they are separate drives, how does it improve the performance of the hard disk? Will it make boot ups and wake ups faster? Or is it just for small programs to put on there?
a c 256 G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:20:31 AM

In its very simplest form a software application analyzes what files on your hard disk drive you use most frequently. It automatically places those files on the SSD. As a result your computer should start more quickly and the games and programs you use most often should load and run faster. There are more sophisticated variations.
!