Sign in with
Your question

Is a 30GB SSD enough for Win7 32-bit Home Premium?

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2013 12:58:45 AM

I'm looking to upgrade to an SSD as my primary boot drive for my Windows 7 Home Premium PC, and is a 30GB SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) enough? I'm on a budget, and I have a 1TB HDD for mass storage, so the only thing that will be going on the SSD is the OS, and absolutely nothing else. Is 30GB enough? And I just want a yes or no answer, not any crap about how bigger is faster.
a c 283 G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:22:14 AM

The answer to your question is yes providing you make a few space saving tweaks.

The OCZ Vertex Plus ssd you linked to is a refurbished ssd. If you look at the details section you will notice that it does not come with a typical new ssd warranty. It only comes with a 90 day limited warranty.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 523 G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:24:07 AM

No, 30GB is not enough for a boot drive.

30GB formatted is 27.9GB. A Win7 install with all of the updates and Service Packs takes 19-20GB. So after Windows install you're going to be left with about 8GB of available capacity.

If your motherboard is capable you could use the 30GB SSD as a cache drive with your O/S remaining on your HDD. It would boost the performance of your HDD.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 80 G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:30:07 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

It would be enough for Windows 7, just don't expect to have much left over. I have friends that got tired of deleting things off of their 64GB SSD. It may be enough by the requirements, but in terms of usefulness it really isn't enough.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:40:14 AM

Yes. In response to what you asked, as a primary boot drive AND NOTHING ELSE, a 30gb SSD is enough.
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:14:07 PM

Dereck47 said:
No, 30GB is not enough for a boot drive.

30GB formatted is 27.9GB. A Win7 install with all of the updates and Service Packs takes 19-20GB. So after Windows install you're going to be left with about 8GB of available capacity.

If your motherboard is capable you could use the 30GB SSD as a cache drive with your O/S remaining on your HDD. It would boost the performance of your HDD.

If it leaves me with about 8gb of open space, how is it not enough?
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:15:52 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The answer to your question is yes providing you make a few space saving tweaks.

The OCZ Vertex Plus ssd you linked to is a refurbished ssd. If you look at the details section you will notice that it does not come with a typical new ssd warranty. It only comes with a 90 day limited warranty.

It's an SSD, I doubt it'll even need a warranty.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 289 G Storage
January 24, 2013 12:21:11 PM

Microsoft provides updates to the OS weekly, some of which are important for security. Win7 tends to grow as these updates are applied and, unlike XP, you can't remove the back-out directories. 7 has a beautiful feature to avoid "DLL hell," but it does keep previous versions of upgraded files around forever.

So my opinion is that you may be able to install and run Win7 on such a disk, but not maintain it.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:09:24 PM

+1

Why plan for now when you should think of tomorrow.

Don't forget that the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys file eat up space - plenty of it - I would not be surprised if once the OS is installed that you have little more than 2GB of drive space left.

The 30GB will get you by for today but in roughly 6 weeks time or more, you will find yourself in a predicament as to what to do as you have run out of storage space.

I'd opt for at least an 80GB SSD at bare minimum for for Win7 Home Edition.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:22:22 PM

Do the windows updates replace the older files? In that case then I'm sure there's some software that scans windows for updates it doesn't need.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:31:39 PM

WyomingKnott said:
7 has a beautiful feature to avoid "DLL hell," but it does keep previous versions of upgraded files around forever.

So my opinion is that you may be able to install and run Win7 on such a disk, but not maintain it.

Well then surely I can just delete anything that has been replaced by newer updates. Or maybe there some software that would do that automatically.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 5:34:00 PM

No.

The OS only downloads and installs those updates that the system requires.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:43:04 PM

Well, I just ordered the 30GB SSD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 289 G Storage
January 27, 2013 2:58:33 PM

NotSoHonestAbe said:
Well, I just ordered the 30GB SSD.

Please let us know how it goes. It would be really nice of you to do an experiment: record how much free space you have at the start, then after installing the service pack, and then after a few update Tuesdays. You can settle the question for us!
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
January 27, 2013 4:00:48 PM

Yes, let us know the results.

Back when consumer ssd's were first introduced they were much more expensive. I distinctly remember some of the veterans posting they got Windows 7 down to around 17 GB after doing a few space spaving tweaks.

I installed Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 OEM in my own rig and did a few space saving tweaks. I have downloaded and installed every single Windows update, patch, and fix available. There are over 125 downloads but for the most part they are small files. Currently I am at 19.2 GB which is just about right.
m
l
January 27, 2013 6:58:07 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Yes, let us know the results.

Back when consumer ssd's were first introduced they were much more expensive. I distinctly remember some of the veterans posting they got Windows 7 down to around 17 GB after doing a few space spaving tweaks.

I installed Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 OEM in my own rig and did a few space saving tweaks. I have downloaded and installed every single Windows update, patch, and fix available. There are over 125 downloads but for the most part they are small files. Currently I am at 19.2 GB which is just about right.

What kind of space saving tweaks did you do? They sound useful.
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
January 27, 2013 7:23:25 PM

1. Disable hibernate.

2. Reduce the size of the page file.

3. Insted of disabling the backup/restore feature I simply had the backups saved to the hard disk instead of the ssd. I also set Windows to automatically do a backup every Sunday morning. No muss! No fuss! No bother! :) 
m
l
January 27, 2013 7:39:30 PM

I'll be doing those. I can't wait to for it to arrive so I can stop using an IDE HDD as my primary boot drive...
m
l
!