Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GT220

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2010 9:19:18 PM

Hey guys, I just bought a Dell Studio XPS computer with an Intel Core i5 CPU 650 running at 3.20GHz with 8GB RAM. The OS is Windows 7 64 bit. It also came with a cheap 350 watt power supply I am leery about.

It came with the Nvidia GT220 (1024MB) GPU. The driver version for the card is from 7/2009 (8.15.11.8634).

I tried to install the latest driver version and my computer had a diarrhea attack, so I rolled the drivers back to the 7/2009 version. My monitor is a 28" I-INC HDMI iF281D. I plan on upgrading to a more expensive monitor more in line with editing photos, and video for truer color reproduction. But they are a heck of a lot more expensive.

Anyway, I heard that this Nvidia GT220 is a piece of crap, and I believe it. Already hiccuping. Especially when I tried to update the drivers.

I want to get another graphics card but not sure what to get. I also game a little as well, Crysis, Hellgate: London, Quantum of Solace, Fable II, Flght Simulator X, etc. Not too worried about those games, but would like Direct X 11 capability.

Four questions:

1) I have a Rosewill 630 watt power supply about 2 months old. Can I install that in my Dell?

2) What card would you recommend for photography, and video editing, as well as gaming? I am thinking about ax XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5. But now I am hearing bad things about that card as well.

3) Do cards with Direct X 11 capabilities also run Direct X 10 games?

4)Any possibility of burning something out with the larger watt power supply if I change the original one?

Thanks for help guys.

More about : gt220

Best solution

a c 1367 U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 9:26:38 PM

1 If the physical dimensions are similar it should work with out a problem. (Keeping in mind that Rosewill PSU's are not on the recommended list.)
2 HD5770 is a good mainstream card for gaming and XFX double lifetime warranty in North America is hard to beat.
3 Yes!
4 No!
August 29, 2010 9:56:52 PM

Thanks. Much need info. I'm not going to install the Rosewill. The last one, a 500 watter I believe, blew on my Gateway Intel Quad Core that I put in it because I upgraded the GPU to a 9600 GT OC. They replaced it with the 630 watt one I have now. But my Gateway blew again, but I don't think it was the power supply this time. I removed it, and installed the original one that came with it and it didn't power up the computer. My Gateway DX 4710-05 was only 2 years old.

I just went out and bought the Dell Studio XPS, and pulled the power supply out of the Gateway, and the hard drive. Not sure what else to do with it. The mother board may be fried. Who knows.

Thanks for the info. I needed it badly. That GT220 GPU sucks. My BFG Geforce 9600 GT OC never had a problem.
Score
Related resources
September 7, 2010 12:51:54 AM

Best answer selected by crashtestaddict.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:19:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!