Asus 990FX Sabertooth and Corsair memory problems

Ok I have an Asus 990FX Sabertooth AM3+ motherboard. I purchased

2 x CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9(XMP) 8GB (2 x 4GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144&Tpk=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Memory kits for a total of 16GB of memory.

I'm having some serious issues getting this to run at 1600 speeds. The BIOS and MemOK both detect it as DDR3-1333 and set it accordingly. When I check the SPD settings they list the DDR3-1333 as the default with an XMP profile for DDR3-1600. Seeing as AMD mobo's can't / won't allow you to use XMP profiles I'm stuck manually putting in the settings. Except when I put them all in (According to the XMP profile) the system won't POST and the beeps indicate a memory error. Rebooting again and it brings me to the BIOS saying there was a memory error and it had reset itself back to DDR3-1333 speeds.

I'm getting no where trying to get this to work, I relax the timings and bump up the voltage to 1.6 and still it doesn't help.

Does anyone else have this Mobo + RAM combo? What was done to get it to work at DDR3-1600. Also what exactly are the settings, the words / acronyms used in the XMP are different then what's on the manual memory setting page in the BIOS. Driving me crazy trying to set all the settings.

Solution
Hi there i think you may have overlooked a small detail that i have fixed with my same exact problem. first make sure ecc is disabled under north bridge options then make sure your ram is set as 9-9-9-24-41 also set your ram voltage manually to 1.5 volts the asus motherboard sets it to 1.65 volts and that will cause either a bsod or a post failure. EDIT Also set your ram timing to 2T

my system specs are as fallows

sabertooth 990fx
amd 550 black
16 gig kit of the same ram your using
500 watt psu
radeon 5770
intel x25m
wd 1000gb black hd
antec df-85 case
h80 liquid cpu cooler

rebelspy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hi there i think you may have overlooked a small detail that i have fixed with my same exact problem. first make sure ecc is disabled under north bridge options then make sure your ram is set as 9-9-9-24-41 also set your ram voltage manually to 1.5 volts the asus motherboard sets it to 1.65 volts and that will cause either a bsod or a post failure. EDIT Also set your ram timing to 2T

my system specs are as fallows

sabertooth 990fx
amd 550 black
16 gig kit of the same ram your using
500 watt psu
radeon 5770
intel x25m
wd 1000gb black hd
antec df-85 case
h80 liquid cpu cooler

Solution

rebelspy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
yup put it at ddr 1600 and the other specs and you'll be solid :) im not sure why it dose that but at least its an easy fix :) im learning other tricks to this board as well. Have you figured out how to install the ai suite yet ?

It seems like it would set the voltage correct since the bios displays this info under the hardware information (xmp setting) in tools. I have also changed the start up screen to advanced mode and turned off auto overclocking. auto overclocking dose not work right and if you use there little auto feature for me it under clocks the ram to 1156 and bumps the cpu up 200mhz :p Anyway another thing i dislike is the fact that you have to manualy turn off ecc ram under the north bridge i mean who uses ecc ram in a personal computer right ? I could go on and on with this things ive discovered in this motherboard. If you do overclock make sure you set your cpu voltage manually or it will over volt your cpu as well.

Ok there are alot of memory timings to set. And some of these don't make sense when compared to the XMP profile.

Obviously the first ones,
CAS Latency = 9
RAS to CAS Delay = 9
RAS Pre Time = 9
RAS ACT Time = 24

Now the weird ones
Read to PRE Time = 5
RAS to RAS Delay = 5
WRITE to READ Delay = 5
CAS write latency = 7
Write Recovery Time = 10
REF Cycle Time = 160ns
Row Cycle Time = 41 (this is what you meant by 41 yes)
READ to WRITE delay = 7
WRITE to READ delay (DD) = 2
WRITE to WRITE Timing = 3
READ to READ Timing = 3
Refresh Rate = 7.8ms
DRAm Command Rate = 2T (this is where 2T goes yes?)

rebelspy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
yup that is correct :) you do not need to change the other settings just the ones you have marked above in your post the others are fine.

did you manage to install the ai suite ?

Actually trying to get the system up now. It's stopping right before POST, but I think that's my fault.

I enabled the onboard SATA RAID while I was in the BIOS because I want to transfer my system over. I'm currently using a Highpoint RocketRaid 2300 SATA RAID card and well, I guess those two can't co-exist with each other. It gets past both card's BIOS but hangs trying to load the EFUI BIOS.

Going to have to do a CMOS reset real quick.

rebelspy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

Sounds good. It seems like it has alot of trouble with raid controllers as well. Im guessing this will be fixed in a bios update.

What os are you running ?

edit i know there is a new bios that resolves alot of raid issues altho i haven't read it to see if your issue is in there.

Well prior to OS loading we're looking at the same old 16-bit memory space issues. Probably has issues mapping different expansion card BIOS's into the same space as itself, thus not leavening enough for the EUFI to load properly.

On another note, it WORKS!!

Inside windows 7 at 4.4 Ghz (970BE) wtih DDR3-1600 memory. Gonna check out CPU-Z in a miniute. Posting this on my backup PC.

I don't know what AI-Suite would do though. Windows 7 is already pretty good at managing the CPU, don't know if I want to trust a peice of software written by Asus lol.

rebelspy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Ai suite has tons of cool features i dont use it for the overclock settings but i love the temp monitor feature since it has so many temp sensors and the bios update utility is good altho i had to download the bios and then tell it where it was instead of the online update option.

If you do decide to install the ai suite and check it out you may need to patch the program before you install it by downloading this file. Its what i did to get the ai suite working and im glad i did i like it altho we really should not need to patch it asus needs to get on the ball with there software.

patch can be found below. Note install patch first. Edit you must run the patch as admin or it wont work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OPUANH8I

mw5irb.png

Hmm it's interseting. I currently use Core Temp + Windows 7 Gadget to monitor CPU temps and speed. Also I'm running water and have a fan / temp monitoring unit installed in one of my bays. Still I'm intrigued about the BIOS update. Did they have one out now ?

Well now I'm in the process of shrinking my volumes and gonna have to do a three way swap to get them onto the new controller.

Thanks for your help, I would of never figured out how to get the damn RAM working. This board's awesome just so many widgets and knobs. Had no idea it was trying to auto-magickly set voltage.

wooshna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I am having the same issue but whenever i restart my computer memok resets my settings lowers it to 1333 and then it will run. Even if i save that setting or follow what you guys have written down my mem ok function will always reset my memobey to 1333. i have the same motherboard and memory. Sorry to hijack your topic was just hoping anyone here could help me out