SATA drive --> mSATA port?

tyler007

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello everyone,

New to this community but have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to with lots of web searching.

I am getting a new Dell XPS 8500 which has only one 6GB/s SATA port and one mSATA port at 6GB/s. I want to connect my own 2.5 in SSD to a 6GB port but also don't want to compromise the speed of the stock 2TB 7200rpm HDD.

Is there a way to connect the 2.5in SATA SSD to the mSATA port, or to connect the 3.5in HDD to the mSATA? I see lots of adapters/connectors for connecting a mSATA drive to SATA but nothing about SATA drive --> mSATA. Is it possible?

Thanks!

move the hard drive to the sata 3 port. you wont see any slow down on the hard drive speed. if you look online at most hard drive tests the hard drive dont even come close to maxing out a sata 3 port speed. the newer ssd will be faster on the sata 6g port.

tyler007

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Do you mean to put the hard drive in a SATA2 3gb/s and the SSD on the SATA3 6gb/s?

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
mSATA and SATA ports are not interchangable, mSATA ports are used with mSATA drives. mSATA drives are basically regular SSDs but without the housing. They are snapped or slid into the mSATA port. You will not be able to plug non mSATA drives into the mSATA port.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Sata-3 is 6Gb/s. So he probably meant move the HDD to the Sata-2 port. From what I know a HDD can't saturate the SATA-2 interface so it shouldn't make any difference. However, the SSD will benefit from the faster SATA-3 port.