Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Asus] F1A75-M no access to BIOS, but boots fine

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2011 12:11:15 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to go into the BIOS to enable Crossfire, because I have the A8-3850 and just bought an XFX 6670 to bump my graphics.

For some reason, when I hammer Delete on boot, I get a black screen with a text enter prompt. But I can't enter anything and it hangs there. The exact same thing happens when I tried to update the BIOS by selecting the boot order with F8.

I've cleared the CMOS and still to no avail. Anybody got any ideas? I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks,
Mike.
September 9, 2011 12:38:33 PM

I'm a noob in this aspect. Can I use that through the CMD prompt? For some reason I thought I had to put it on a bootable drive, and boot to it.

If I'm wrong in this aspect, I will be extremely happy, humbled; but mostly I'll just feel dumb...

I have contacted ASUS though, and they are giving me basic troubleshooting B.S.
Unplug everything, try with certain things plugged in. It boots fine, I don't think it's components messing with the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 12:50:41 PM

you do need to use a bootable disk for the dos utility. ive never tried it in a dos windows but ive read a few times to not do that.
ive found a few oddities that have caused this problem.
first - i found a post about a guy who had the exact same problem as you and he fixed it by unpluging his hdmi cable and using another type. guess the uefi had trouble with the hdmi.
second was a bad uefi image. good enough to boot from but not to access. there are a lot of cases of this half get fixed from bios update half dont. have to rma at that point.
September 9, 2011 12:54:54 PM

poopyTo said:
Hello,

I'm trying to go into the BIOS to enable Crossfire, because I have the A8-3850 and just bought an XFX 6670 to bump my graphics.

For some reason, when I hammer Delete on boot, I get a black screen with a text enter prompt. But I can't enter anything and it hangs there. The exact same thing happens when I tried to update the BIOS by selecting the boot order with F8.

I've cleared the CMOS and still to no avail. Anybody got any ideas? I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks,
Mike.

Are you saying you have an 3850 and 6670 installed at same time? if so remove the 3850 you cannot crossfire with 2 different card they have to be identical.
m
l
September 9, 2011 1:02:41 PM

If your BIOS still bug

Your BIOS file : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM1/F1A75-M/F...
- Download and extract the .rom BIOS file to a FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive (USB stick).
- Rename the BIOS file in the USB Flash Drive into F1A75M.ROM

- Download Bupdater from Asus. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Bupdater_V1...
- Extract to your USB Flash Drive.
- Leave the USB stick inserted.

- Restart your computer and Press "F8" amd you will access BIOS Boot Device Select Menu
- Select USB
- When the Make Disk menu appears, select the FreeDOS command prompt item by pressing the item number.
- At the FreeDOS prompt, type d: and press <Enter> to switch the disk from Drive C (optical drive) to Drive D (USB flash drive).

- At the FreeDOS prompt, type bupdater /oF1A75M.ROM and press <Enter>.
- The BIOS Updater backup screen appears indicating the BIOS backup process. When BIOS backup is done, press any key to return to the DOS prompt.
- At the FreeDOS prompt, type bupdater /pc /g and press <Enter>.
- Press <Tab> to switch between screen fields and use the <Up/Down/Home/End> keys to select the BIOS file and press <Enter>. BIOS Updater checks the selected BIOS file and prompts you to confirm BIO
- Select Yes and press <Enter>. When BIOS update is done, press <ESC> to exit BIOS Updater. Restart your computer.
m
l
September 9, 2011 1:48:00 PM

farrengottu said:

first - i found a post about a guy who had the exact same problem as you and he fixed it by unpluging his hdmi cable and using another type. guess the uefi had trouble with the hdmi.
second was a bad uefi image. good enough to boot from but not to access. there are a lot of cases of this half get fixed from bios update half dont. have to rma at that point.

I'll give that a try, but I think that after I installed the 6670, the default display became the HDMI out on the 6670, instead of the MOBO HDMI out. Which is kind of annoying, but maybe I'll try the DVI or something. Thanks :) 

eleclerc said:
If your BIOS still bug

Yeah, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I can't even access my BIOS Boot Device select menu. I hit F8 on my PS/2 (not USB) keyboard, and it goes to that damned black screen again.

Thank you for that though, I didn't find proper instructions for that anywhere.

techguy911 said:
Are you saying you have an 3850 and 6670 installed at same time? if so remove the 3850 you cannot crossfire with 2 different card they have to be identical.

The A8-2850 is the latest APU from AMD, it technically has 6550D graphics, which can be crossfired with the 6670. But to actually allow crossfire, I need to get into the BIOS of the ASUS mobo.
m
l
September 13, 2011 9:49:32 PM

Best answer selected by poopyTo.
m
l
September 13, 2011 9:50:13 PM

farrengottu said:
you do need to use a bootable disk for the dos utility. ive never tried it in a dos windows but ive read a few times to not do that.
ive found a few oddities that have caused this problem.

It was this! I unplugged the HDMI cable from the video card, and plugged in a VGA cable to the video card and I could access BIOS and Boot Order. Everything went better than expected.

Thank you!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 4:55:32 PM

yay for google search! thats how i found it.
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:08:20 PM

farrengottu said:
yay for google search! thats how i found it.

I'm.... really dumb. I must have been using too specific of search queries, like listing my video card and mobo.

Either way, thanks a whole bunch for using the Internet for me.
m
l
!