Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive "assembly" temps way high on hwmonitor?

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 24, 2013 1:36:54 AM

I have a 500gb WD hdd in my rig. I used CPUID hwmonitor to watch my temps while playing a game for about an hour. Everything is good except the "assembly" temps for the hdd which was 142c, but "airflow" and "drive" for the same hdd both read 28c. Is this an error or something? What is "assembly" anyway, and how can it be that much hotter than the other two readings i just posted, because theres no way the "drive" is 28c if the "assembly" temp is that high.
January 24, 2013 2:54:38 AM

Now airflow is 101c and assembly is 27c. I'm idling...and now theres no "drive" category. What is going on? These can't be correct temp readings lol
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 300 G Storage
January 24, 2013 8:07:28 AM

I prefer HD Sentinel or HDDScan for accessing a HDD's SMART data.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Share
Related resources
January 24, 2013 11:15:47 PM

fzabkar said:
I prefer HD Sentinel or HDDScan for accessing a HDD's SMART data.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.


So is this article saying that if the hdd was that hot I'd be getting some type of warning? I also downloaded "HDD Temperature v.4" and havent seen any temp. jumps on that program. Seems to be that CPUID is the only thing getting those astronomical temps. Is it safe to say CPUID is wrong?
m
0
l
a c 300 G Storage
January 24, 2013 11:45:21 PM

I don't know where the other programs are getting their information, but HDDScan and HD Sentinel read the HDD's SMART sectors. The Airflow Temperature in WD drives is often displayed as a temperature difference from 150, so a normalised value of 100 would correspond to an actual temperature of 50C.

A program such as smartctl (from smartmontools) also reports a temperature history for the drive. The drive maintains a log of the number of times that it has exceeded its allowable temperature maximum.

I have no idea what the author of CPUID hwmonitor means by "assembly" temperature.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 12:57:46 AM

the assembly is the temp of the drive where did you get that airflow reading since it is not in hwmonitor post a screenshot of that reading .
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 3:25:32 AM

scout_03 said:
the assembly is the temp of the drive where did you get that airflow reading since it is not in hwmonitor post a screenshot of that reading .


m
0
l
January 25, 2013 3:26:56 AM

Yeah as you can see they're at 1c now. Pretty weird
m
0
l
a c 300 G Storage
January 25, 2013 3:56:08 AM

Post a HD Tune or HDDScan or CrystalDiskInfo screenshot.

hwmonitor is useless.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 3:58:40 AM

this drive is mark to work from 5 c to 55 c and it is a red series for business you could use the data digital lifeguard test from wd on short test if your afraid of having a issue with it .
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 4:04:13 AM

fzabkar said:
Post a HD Tune or HDDScan or CrystalDiskInfo screenshot.

hwmonitor is useless.


Yeah starting to realize that now lol.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 4:08:15 AM

scout_03 said:
this drive is mark to work from 5 c to 55 c and it is a red series for business you could use the data digital lifeguard test from wd on short test if your afraid of having a issue with it .


I downloaded sentinel and everything seems good, i also checked with other monitoring programs as well. I'm pretty sure HW Monitor is just malfunctioning at this point.
m
0
l
a c 300 G Storage
January 25, 2013 4:18:27 AM

I have noticed that even WD's own DATA LifeGuard diagnostic sometimes has trouble accessing the SMART data via certain SATA drivers and/or controllers. AIUI there are usually two ways (IOCTLs) to access these data. HD Sentinel seems to get it right nearly all the time. I suspect that it tries both ways and is intelligent enough to realise when the data are bogus.

If you examine HD Sentinel's report, you should see two attributes, Temperature and Airflow Temperature. I think the concept of "assembly" temperature must mean something in German, but whatever it is got lost in the translation.
m
0
l
!