Is it worth paying for FilePlanet?

Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.

Thanks,

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
>
> Thanks,
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

I broke down and purchased a membership. Wish I had done it a long time ago.
Never have to wait any longer, and the transfer rates are great.
When I joined, they where giving away a free full version of a couple of
Tom Clancy games
if you joined the founders club.

Schism

Borrow your friends account... it's what I do.... just don't share it with
more than a couple of people or they will get wise....

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
>
> Thanks,
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

pw <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:
>Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual.

Well, it depends on your point of view, and how you value your time.
I have an account, because "I want my instant gratification Right
Now!", but other folks (clearly) have different opinions.

--
William Smith

In article <sfqvb05hblo6rhi420v2kmh2gh598ap089@4ax.com>,
pw <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:

> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.

Since I subscribed, I just download files when I need 'em. No waiting,
nice and fast. How much is your time worth?

--
Your prison is walking through this world all alone.

> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.

Fileplanet is the root of all evil. You can find mirrors for most anything
(and it's always quicker than the fileplanet wait). On the *very* rare
occasion that you can't - so what? You have to wait 20 minutes. So what?
Whoop-de-do.

I know they have bandwidth costs & all, but it's like charging for window
shopping. Or basic human rights. Just bad form. Every time you use
fileplanet, a kitten dies. etc.

--
IWIK

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:04:33 -0400, Howard Shubs <howard@shubs.net>
wrote:

>In article <sfqvb05hblo6rhi420v2kmh2gh598ap089@4ax.com>,
> pw <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
>> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
>> had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
>> received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
>
>Since I subscribed, I just download files when I need 'em. No waiting,
>nice and fast. How much is your time worth?

If either paying or going into the fileplanet mile-long queue were the
only choices available, that line of thought might be valid. Every
time I've went looking for a gaming file there have been other mirror
available that have given me instant-start downloads at the maximum
transfer rate of my internet connection. Fileplanet would hafta send
the files back in time to beat that :)

And even if I hadda wait in a queue for an hour, there are *other
things* to do in life until the download starts up and completes.
Presenting the issue in such black-and-white imagery is... simplistic.

-s-

"Howard Shubs" <howard@shubs.net> wrote in message
> In article <sfqvb05hblo6rhi420v2kmh2gh598ap089@4ax.com>,
> pw <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> > subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> > had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> > received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
>
> Since I subscribed, I just download files when I need 'em. No waiting,
> nice and fast. How much is your time worth?
>
> --
> Your prison is walking through this world all alone.

What you sit and watch all of your downloads till they finish?
Thats the great thing about PCs... you don't need to watch them do things,
they take instructions!

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:28:56 +0800, "Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote:

>What you sit and watch all of your downloads till they finish?
>Thats the great thing about PCs... you don't need to watch them do things,
>they take instructions!

100+ Mb downloads. Start them up (preferably with Net Leech) at night
and go to bed. America's Army, ESF, etc.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.

In article <40c0a2fe$0$8103$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>,
"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote:

> What you sit and watch all of your downloads till they finish?
> Thats the great thing about PCs... you don't need to watch them do things,
> they take instructions!

They finish so quickly that I can check my unread e-mail and come back
to find them finished. Or read some USENET.

--
Your prison is walking through this world all alone.

Vimes

"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote in message

> "Howard Shubs" <howard@shubs.net> wrote in message
> > In article <sfqvb05hblo6rhi420v2kmh2gh598ap089@4ax.com>,
> > pw <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual. I
> > > subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I
> > > had to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I
> > > received some "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
> >
> > Since I subscribed, I just download files when I need 'em. No waiting,
> > nice and fast. How much is your time worth?

I use the free servers and then tend to host on our 9gb hosted ftp for
www.purplezone.org - we host the files largely because of the queues
elsewhere when everyone hears finally about something. So i keep an eye n
get in quick - then all our members can dl off a private FREE (well- paid
for by us and another clan) fast site. Arrangements can be made for direct
ftp links for members in case of dropping connection.

We ghave BOTH CPB's, 400 odd maps and much more - including linux and
decdicated server files. We do this largely to assist our members but also
to share files that should be played and cut down ppl getting slow
connections by lightening the loads etc.

just my 2pennies worth :)

---

In article <ICCwc.27571$B63.1897@doctor.cableinet.net>,
"Vimes" <amletford@blueyonder.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

> We ghave BOTH CPB's, 400 odd maps and much more - including linux and
> decdicated server files. We do this largely to assist our members but also
> to share files that should be played and cut down ppl getting slow
> connections by lightening the loads etc.

Hey, you guys are paying the freight, so whatever floats your boat.

--

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:21:56 -0600, pw wrote:

> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual.

CP = Community Bonus Pack or CBP?

> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I had
> to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I received some
> "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.

Or you could have used BitTorrent to get the CBP2 files. There are links
for both volumes at the bottom of the download lists.

http://www.planetunreal.com/cbp/

--
Ian.

EOM

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:21:56 -0600, pw wrote:
>
>> Just curious, as downloading the latest CP was a big PITA as usual.
>
>CP = Community Bonus Pack or CBP?

Oops!

>> subscribe to UT200Xfiles.com but their US link was to FilePlanet. I had
>> to weight 22 minutes 3 times and when it became my time, I received some
>> "Object Blocked" message. 4th time was the charm.
>
>Or you could have used BitTorrent to get the CBP2 files. There are links
>for both volumes at the bottom of the download lists.
>
>http://www.planetunreal.com/cbp/

Thanks. I am not familiar with BitTorrent!