Closed

Download USB drivers for Canon EOS Digital Rebel?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 8, 2005 3:43:56 PM

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to download the drivers
/ software for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I'm finding it annoying to
have to keep swapping my wireless network card and my the card reader I
use to copy the pictures onto my laptop's harddrive. I've tried
connecting the camera to my laptop via a USB cable, but I get told I
don't have the appropriate driver, and my install CDs are back in
Australia.

I've looked at the Canon site, but all i can find is software to
upgrade an existing installation.
Any help very appreciated!

Much warmth,

planetthoughtful
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:58:31 PM

planetthoughtful@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to download the
drivers
> / software for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I'm finding it annoying
> have to keep swapping my wireless network card and my the card reader
> use to copy the pictures onto my laptop's harddrive. I've tried
> connecting the camera to my laptop via a USB cable, but I get told I
> don't have the appropriate driver, and my install CDs are back in
> Australia.
>
> I've looked at the Canon site, but all i can find is software to
> upgrade an existing installation.
> Any help very appreciated!

What OS are you using? I have no problem with Windows XP but all sorts
of problems with Windows 2000 Pro even with the drivers installed.

Drivers here:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Downloa...

Otherwise, goto Canon's site (canon.com) -> Americas -> Downloads ->
Select camera -> Windows Drivers.

HTH,

Siddhartha
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:16:14 AM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:43:56 +0000, planetthoughtful wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to download the drivers /
> software for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I'm finding it annoying to
> have to keep swapping my wireless network card and my the card reader I
> use to copy the pictures onto my laptop's harddrive. I've tried
> connecting the camera to my laptop via a USB cable, but I get told I
> don't have the appropriate driver, and my install CDs are back in
> Australia.
>
> I've looked at the Canon site, but all i can find is software to upgrade
> an existing installation.

Which OS are you using ? There are Windows drivers available from Canon's
site at http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/

If you have Linux, you don't need any driver. gphoto2 can download from
300D directly. GUI front end for gphoto2 is gtkam.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
January 9, 2005 1:40:31 PM

planetthoughtful@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to download the drivers
> / software for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I'm finding it annoying to
> have to keep swapping my wireless network card and my the card reader I
> use to copy the pictures onto my laptop's harddrive. I've tried
> connecting the camera to my laptop via a USB cable, but I get told I
> don't have the appropriate driver, and my install CDs are back in
> Australia.
>
> I've looked at the Canon site, but all i can find is software to
> upgrade an existing installation.
> Any help very appreciated!
>
> Much warmth,
>
> planetthoughtful

Consider buying a usb 2.0 card reader for compact flash cards. Not
expensive, will have its own driver, is portable between machines, and
is a helluva lot faster than the usb 1.1 interface in the 300D. That's
providing your laptop is usb 2.0 capable. But even if not, the card
reader is still a good choice. Beats plugging in the camera and
flattening its battery. It's what I do here.

Colin
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:36:15 PM

Thanks to all!

I've downloaded the drivers and am now able to access my camera
directly via USB.

Much warmth,

planetthoughtful
November 6, 2009 8:37:46 PM

I downloaded the XP drivers and they work fine in Vista and Windows 7 32 bit!!!
February 25, 2010 12:33:35 PM

Bernard46 said:
I downloaded the XP drivers and they work fine in Vista and Windows 7 32 bit!!!

I have a Canon EOS 10D (similar to the 300D) that I use for astronomical imaging. I installed the Windows XP drivers in my Windows 7 32-bit computer. The system sees the camera, my software is able to talk to the camera and set the camera's parameters, BUT is NOT able to download the images. So it seems that the XP driver "sort of works." I would appreciate any information on the problem with downloading, as I need to download to focus the system remotely. Thanks.
February 25, 2010 1:06:44 PM

hmooers said:
I have a Canon EOS 10D (similar to the 300D) that I use for astronomical imaging. I installed the Windows XP drivers in my Windows 7 32-bit computer. The system sees the camera, my software is able to talk to the camera and set the camera's parameters, BUT is NOT able to download the images. So it seems that the XP driver "sort of works." I would appreciate any information on the problem with downloading, as I need to download to focus the system remotely. Thanks.

I can certainly select and download images on my Win 7 32 bit system - the version of the EOS Utility I have installed says its V 2.6.1.0 and has a copyright statement saying Copyright 2006-9. I'm using an EOS Digital Rebel aka 300D.
February 27, 2010 12:27:14 PM

Bernard46 said:
I can certainly select and download images on my Win 7 32 bit system - the version of the EOS Utility I have installed says its V 2.6.1.0 and has a copyright statement saying Copyright 2006-9. I'm using an EOS Digital Rebel aka 300D.

Thanks, I downloaded the EOS Utility v. 2.7. I also updated my Zoom EX Browser and the Canon capture utility and Zoom EX capture and download the images. However, my other capture software for astronomical use still can’t download. Apparently the driver used by the EOS utility is not addressable by the other software. So I still have an issue taking long exposures. I need the “bulb” setting and the EOS Utility the capture utility does not support a long exposure cable through the software. I can use a Timer Remote Controller, which works fine, but I still need to be at the telescope. Any ideas for remote operation of “bulb” exposures?
Thanks

March 19, 2010 9:29:40 PM

On Win7 I messed around downloding and installing loads of drivers, even trying in XP Mode. Then I red about switching a setting on the camera (300D): on the Menu, set Communication to PTP (whatever it means). After making this change Win7 immedialtely recognised the camera as a removable device (NOT a USB device, therefore not needing the unavailable USB drivers - PTP seems to be built into Win7) and provided easy access to the data in the Canon, as well as comfortable downloading.

Regards,
Henk
April 10, 2010 8:34:15 AM

Henk, awesome advice!!

I have been dealing with clunky downloads through programs for all this time, this is wonderful! =)

Plus my new computer with Win 7 had the same thing, it wouldn't use the drivers properly, so without this solution I was pretty much screwed....
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 7:26:44 PM

Very Good! This works on the 10D, too!
June 2, 2010 8:39:45 PM

minoroxford said:
On Win7 I messed around downloding and installing loads of drivers, even trying in XP Mode. Then I red about switching a setting on the camera (300D): on the Menu, set Communication to PTP (whatever it means). After making this change Win7 immedialtely recognised the camera as a removable device (NOT a USB device, therefore not needing the unavailable USB drivers - PTP seems to be built into Win7) and provided easy access to the data in the Canon, as well as comfortable downloading.

Regards,
Henk

Hah! This worked for me! Thanks!!!
Anonymous
October 3, 2010 9:18:29 PM

Try these steps. I had to write Canon for assistance, but it worked:

You maybe able to connect the camera and get it to work if you change
the communication mode of the camera. This does not always work with 64
bit versions of the OS.

You would need to have the camera in the print/ptp mode for it to be
seen by the computer:

1. Turn the camera on in the P, AV, TV, M, or A-DEP.
2. Push the MENU button.
3. Go to the second wrench and hammer menu.
4. Go down to communication.
5. Switch it from NORMAL to PRINT/PTP.
October 14, 2010 7:15:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish