Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would a 64 GB SSD be enough?

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2013 2:29:39 AM

I would only be installing the OS on the SSD. I'm installing Windows 7 Pro and wanted to know is a 64 gb SSD going to be enough space? This is for a budget build and I don't want to have to install a clean OS later, but at the same time I'm trying to stick to a budget and I'm failing a bit as it is. I could always get a bigger SSD drive and get a regular HHD later?!?! Anyone have the magical answer to solve my woes? Thanks guys!

More about : ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:40:42 AM

If it's JUST the OS, then perhaps. (That being said, if you're on a budget, there's no reason to get Windows 7 pro when home premium is only $90 as opposed to $150.)

However, you will have to do a clean install of the OS, and yes, you NEED a second hard drive, unless you plan on never installing programs, downloading images or music, or really using the computer much at all.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:46:02 AM

I already have the os as I have previously purchased it a few years ago due to a HHD failure in another computer.... Kinda stuck with it now :)  And yes, I would of course have another 7200 rpm HHD to install my games, music, etc.... I just need to know, is 64 gb enough? Will I run out of space? Should I just skip it altogether?

See my thinking is that the SSD should make more than just boot times faster, everything tied to the OS should boot / load faster... plus, I like the added security of having the OS on a separate HHD as a precaution. Something goes bad / wrong or say the mechanical HHD goes bad and I'm not stuck preforming a fresh install of the OS... you know what I mean?!?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:46:22 AM

a 64GB SSD will be fine for windows providing you don't to install a heap of games and programs on it, that's not saying you cant install any games and programs it's just you will be limited to what you can install.

Here is a link to a few tweaks and guides for SSD's:
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
The main 2 are disabling hibernation and pagefile, although it is not recommended to totally disable the pagefile, setting it to 1-2GB to a max of maybe 8GB would be a good idea.

My current boot drive is a 120gig SSD and the total space used currently is 42GB, thats with 17GB of games and a hand full of programs.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:50:04 AM

A 64GB ssd is more than sufficient for Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I just happen to have the Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM version plus all downloads, updates, patches, and fixes installed on my ssd. The total comes out to 19.2.GB

I did make a few space saving adjustments. I disabled the hibernate fetaure and reduced the size of the page file. I also changed the backup/restore feature. Some users recommend disabling the backup/restore feature. I did something different. Instead of saving the backups to the ssd I changed the save location to the hard disk drive. I also set the backup/restore feature to make a backup every Sunday morning. it does it in the background. No muss! No fuss! No bother!
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:58:05 AM

1984808,5,140342 said:
A 64GB ssd is more than sufficient for Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I just happen to have the Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM version plus all downloads, updates, patches, and fixes installed on my ssd. The total comes out to 19.2.GB

I did make a few space saving adjustments. I disabled the hibernate fetaure and reduced the size of the page file. I also changed the backup/restore feature. Some users recommend disabling the backup/restore feature. I did something different. Instead of saving the backups to the ssd I changed the save location to the hard disk drive. I also set the backup/restore feature to make a backup every Sunday morning. it does it in the background. No muss! No fuss! No bother![/quotemsg

Honestly I'm on a work laptop right now that has a 80gb HHD and I have 40+ GB remaining... obviously I don't use it for gaming and I feel like I should know better as I've dealt with this sort of thing my entire life, but you can never be too sure and I haven't kept up with much as of late and so on.... I have two concerns and if they're addressed then I'll call this thread solved.... Will 64gb be enough and will it always.... I don't ever play on adding anything... I mean anything other than the OS to the SSD... every other... I mean every other file from Installs to PDF's will reside on the 'D-Drive' better known as the mechanical HHD....
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2013 3:29:55 AM

If I were to make an educated guess I would say 64Gb will be more than sufficent simply because Windows 7 has a limited lifespan. By that I mean there will come a time when Microsoft will no longer provide support. At some point there will be no more downloads, upgrades, and patches.

Most of the downloads, updates, patches, and fixes are relatively small. Most are in KB and a few are in MB. I can't recall a download that was in GB.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 180 G Storage
January 24, 2013 3:39:35 AM

SHO_ONE said:
I already have the os as I have previously purchased it a few years ago due to a HHD failure in another computer.... Kinda stuck with it now :)  And yes, I would of course have another 7200 rpm HHD to install my games, music, etc.... I just need to know, is 64 gb enough? Will I run out of space? Should I just skip it altogether?

See my thinking is that the SSD should make more than just boot times faster, everything tied to the OS should boot / load faster... plus, I like the added security of having the OS on a separate HHD as a precaution. Something goes bad / wrong or say the mechanical HHD goes bad and I'm not stuck preforming a fresh install of the OS... you know what I mean?!?

You will definitely appreciate a SSD; everything you do will feel so much quicker.
With lower ssd prices, I think it is a mistake to buy a limited size ssd.
1. A ssd will lose performance as it reaches full.
2. In addition to the os, some apps will want to go on the "C" drive.

I think a 120gb ssd would be a good idea, and you can justify it by deferring on the hard drive. 120gb will hold the os and a handful of games.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 3:42:41 AM

I have windows 8 installed on a 40GB partition of windows and I have about 9GB free space. Just make sure you both disable and delete the hibernation files, they can take a lot of space.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2013 3:52:13 AM

PsyKhiqZero said:
I have windows 8 installed on a 40GB partition of windows and I have about 9GB free space. Just make sure you both disable and delete the hibernation files, they can take a lot of space.

32GB for Windows 8?? :o 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 4:59:28 AM

I have a 30gb ssd and I have windows 7 ult, Microsoft Office, Norton and Chrome on it so 60gb would be fine but the price for 60 gb ssd are about $60. They rarely go on sale. When 120 gb ssd go on sale they can be had for $60 to $80.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 5:04:47 AM

64 gb ssds are more aimed for people who use it as boot, as well as use it for a few programs or use it as ssd caching for your HDD in sort of a hybrid state.
m
l
January 24, 2013 8:46:07 AM

Thanks to everyone here, I think I will go with a 120 / 128 gb SSD card and maybe..... maybe for go the mechanical HHD for now........ again, this would be due to a budgetary constraint although a flexible one still one to hover around... With that being said, so long as there are no objections anyone have a suggestion on one? I haven't researched much of anything, word on the street is Samsung? Thoughts?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 10:26:53 AM

Samsung is the way to go. High performance and good reliability, and the latest 840 series are also priced competitively.
m
l

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2013 11:25:29 AM

I normally recommend Samsung. Intel and Crucial are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in then follow the links to the technical reviews.
January 24, 2013 6:48:45 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I normally recommend Samsung. Intel and Crucial are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in then follow the links to the technical reviews.

Nothing more to be said, thank you Johnnylucky and everyone for your help. You've earned the best answer as far as I'm concerned.
m
l
January 24, 2013 6:49:15 PM

Best answer selected by SHO_ONE.
m
l
!