LINK FIXED: Please review my budget gaming and overclocking build

Hello everyone. Thanks to all the help from toms hardware I feel that I have put together a good bang for the buck budget gaming computer. I was on a pretty tight budget but this is what I came up with. There is no video card included because I already have a gtx 260, as well as a HDD and cd drive. I am upgrading form my dell inspiron 530 and crappy apevia 500w psu. I know the mobo is a lga 775, that is because I have a wolfdale e6500 that I plan on overclocking, and it is not SLI but I do not plan on using SLI, also the 8gb ram limit is more then enough for me.

Case - Cooler Master Storm Sniper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L LGA 775 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128414&cm_re=gigabyte_lga_775_ddr3-_-13-128-414-_-Product

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gb ddr3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemList=N82E16820231277

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ /w a second fan for a push pull config http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=hyper%20master%20212

PSU - Corsair 650w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
14 answers Last reply
More about link fixed review budget gaming overclocking build
  1. Your link is not working - it may be your password-protected wishlist, which the public cannot access.
  2. I think it is a mistake today to build based on a processor that is two generations(soon to be 3 with sandy bridge) old.
    Your E6500 cpu will fetch $60 or so on e-bay. Check completed listings.

    Even the cheapest clarkdale 32nm cpu(G6950) will be superior, overclock higher, and cost $99.
    A P55 motherboard will be the same price.
    I like the other parts.
  3. geofelt said:
    I think it is a mistake today to build based on a processor that is two generations(soon to be 3 with sandy bridge) old.
    Your E6500 cpu will fetch $60 or so on e-bay. Check completed listings.

    Even the cheapest clarkdale 32nm cpu(G6950) will be superior, overclock higher, and cost $99.
    A P55 motherboard will be the same price.
    I like the other parts.


    Well, the reason I was building around that cpu is because I already had it and I hear its a great overclocker. And considering the budget cant really afford a new one. Just tryin to make the best out of what I have for casual gaming. In response to what you said I have a question though, if I were to buy a 1156 board for a future upgrade, would I be able to run a lga 775 processor in it for the time being until I upgrade?
  4. Eh, just did some digging around and it seems that you cant put a 775 chip into a 1156 board. I was hoping it worked like a ps3 or something, where you can run older games in it as well as the new ones. Well, this is a budget build and if I have the e6500 already and if I can OC the crap out of it, then I think I should be fine, especially if I am not doing stuff like SLI. Then agian, I am new to this stuff so I could be wrong.
  5. No. They are completely incompatible.

    I suggest you sell your E6500 and save up the $40 or so difference until you can build a good system.

    There is an old saying:
    "The bitterness of the product is remembered long after the sweetness of the price is forgotten"
  6. I don't see any problems with your upgrade and I like the idea of building around the C2D to save money. I personally would completely skip the Core i series processors in terms of upgrades until Sandy Bridge or Fusion APU's come out.
  7. fcdwn777 said:
    Hello everyone. Thanks to all the help from toms hardware I feel that I have put together a good bang for the buck budget gaming computer. I was on a pretty tight budget but this is what I came up with. There is no video card included because I already have a gtx 260, as well as a HDD and cd drive. I am upgrading form my dell inspiron 530 and crappy apevia 500w psu. I know the mobo is a lga 775, that is because I have a wolfdale e6500 that I plan on overclocking, and it is not SLI but I do not plan on using SLI, also the 8gb ram limit is more then enough for me.

    Case - Cooler Master Storm Sniper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194
    I would get a COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced - it has plenty of room, will be good on your next build, and saves you $40

    Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L LGA 775 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128414&cm_re=gigabyte_lga_775_ddr3-_-13-128-414-_-Product
    Nice economy board.

    RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gb ddr3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemList=N82E16820231277
    Solid and at 1600MHz, gives you some overhead when you OC the E6500.

    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ /w a second fan for a push pull config http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=hyper%20master%20212
    Will easily fit in the Storm Sniper or the CM690 Advanced, solid, economical 775 cooler.

    PSU - Corsair 650w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    More than you need, but, again, a proven PSU

    above
  8. @treefrog

    The I see that the cm690 is cheaper, but call me a sucker for aesthetics but I love the look of the sniper, and it comes with all the fans I need. With the cm690 it actually becomes more expensive the it seems depending on how many fans I want to add. And the psu, newegg has a deal right now where it is 10% off so I cant bring myself to pass it up, even though it is more then I need. One more thing, would you agree with geofelt that it is not worth building around a 775 and I should wait to try to get a 1156, but I dont know how long that will be considering finances, or if I get a good OC on the e6500 do you think I will be good for awhile?
  9. Let's put it this way. You have $424.95 and you need some stuff.

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 + ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.526581
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB + LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514361
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W 80 PLUS Modular
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

    $419.95

    Then you sell the CPU and get the HSF. Anyway more and more games demand a quad and don't run very well on dual cores no matter how fast.


    Or if you really want that case you can get only 1 stick of RAM for now, you get one more stick later:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146736
    This PSU is cheaper and even better
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    $459.95
  10. With all due respect to geofelt, it is your money and your rig. He has point about the "obsolescence" of the 775 cpus, but you have one you want to re-use.
    -- Because the 775 is not "bleeding edge," its motherboards are less expensive than those for the 1156.
    -- You said you don't have the money to build a new rig.
    -- You've made solid, economical selections, and the case, the PSU, and the CPU cooler (and maybe the RAM) can also be used on your next rig.
    -- You want to OC the E6500, so I'm assuming you are learning to OC; the 775s are relatively easy to OC, and there are numerous guides for you to read and learn - including here at THF.

    edit: I'm still running two 775s (see my info), a Q9650 and an E8600, both on X48 boards. I play Borderlands, Ghost Recon II, HALO (something), Crysis, Fallout3, and HAWX quite adequately on two 4870s and a 5870; I'm not very good at any of them, but the graphics are impressive, with no stuttering, artifacts, etc. There are few games that are even using DX11 yet, so you have at least several months until you will find games your rig will not be able to play. By then you'll have saved enough money to get the CPU generation after Sandy Bridge.
  11. mosox said:
    Let's put it this way. You have $424.95 and you need some stuff.

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 + ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.526581
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB + LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514361
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W 80 PLUS Modular
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

    $419.95

    Then you sell the CPU and get the HSF. Anyway more and more games demand a quad and don't run very well on dual cores no matter how fast.


    Or if you really want that case you can get only 1 stick of RAM for now, you get one more stick later:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146736
    This PSU is cheaper and even better
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    $459.95


    You are awesome man, that is a great combo. So, here is what I am lookin at right now...and I am ready to order it if it sounds good...

    storm sniper case
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO mobo and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (the combo you listed)
    corsair 650w (since the board supports dual cards want to make sure I have the psu if I decide to do it)
    g.skill ripjaw 4 gig ddr3 1600 memory
    Cooler master hyper 212+ with a push pull config

    That look good to everyone?
  12. If one is on a budget, look at the Antec 300 illusion model case. $70, including fans:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    Tom's had a pair of articles on the cpu/gpu equation. The conclusion was that as long as you had a duo @3.0 or better, it was much better to spend your extra funds on a stronget video card:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738.html

    There is nothing really wrong with using a older processor. It should work fine.
    But, because there is not a whole lot of difference in cost(assuming you can market the E6500), I would consider something newer.

    Why not look at used for everything if you are on a budget? Check out e-bay. Look at completed auctions to see what the true value of parts can be. Look for used, since new parts will not be any cheaper than a good etailer.
  13. Quote:
    storm sniper case
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO mobo and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (the combo you listed)
    corsair 650w (since the board supports dual cards want to make sure I have the psu if I decide to do it)
    g.skill ripjaw 4 gig ddr3 1600 memory
    Cooler master hyper 212+ with a push pull config


    Anyone have anything to say about that set up? Sure seems good to me but before I hit submit order some feedback would be good.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product