Sign in with
Your question

New build, much is enough to spend?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2010 12:21:19 AM

I'm getting ready to build a new box. I'm just wondering at what point do you have a powerful enough graphics card? Do you really need 2 working in crossfire mode to play current games? How many fps is enough?

Is it better to have 2 mid priced cards or one high priced card? Or will one mid priced card do the job?

I'm sure it depends on the games but it seem you can go overboard on the budget here.

This is what I want to be able to do:

Play FPS (action) games with eye-candy on. Maybe a flight sim if another one ever comes out.
Watch blue ray movies and drive a Dell ultra 24" monitor.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Rut

More about : build spend

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 12:27:36 AM

Honestly, it depends on the resolution and how much eye-candy you need in order to play. A single Radeon HD 5770 (mid-level) graphics card is more than enough for 1280x1024 at max, but would be barely playable at higher resolutions, if at all. I could go on listing all the other cards available and their pros and cons, but this article does a much better job of it than I could.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-rad...

It all really depends on how much power you need, and how much money you're willing to part with. Oh, and on a side note, Microsoft is planning to release another Flight Simulator, although I'm not sure when.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 12:38:45 AM

rutledj said:
I'm getting ready to build a new box. I'm just wondering at what point do you have a powerful enough graphics card? Do you really need 2 working in crossfire mode to play current games? How many fps is enough?

Is it better to have 2 mid priced cards or one high priced card? Or will one mid priced card do the job?

I'm sure it depends on the games but it seem you can go overboard on the budget here.

This is what I want to be able to do:

Play FPS (action) games with eye-candy on. Maybe a flight sim if another one ever comes out.
Watch blue ray movies and drive a Dell ultra 24" monitor.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Rut

retlegj basically hit the nail on the head, however for your one question, two mid-range cards would be a worse idea than one high-end card. With SLI/CF you have to 1)make sure your mobo is capable, make sure you have enough power, make sure you can cool the cards, make sure you want to play in full screen mode, and deal with problems with older games (honeslty this one has never happened to me, but its supposd to be fairly common).
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 11:08:18 AM

I prefer a single powerful high end card better than dual mid end cards works on CF/SLi...
Not all games would gain benefit from dual cards setup...
m
l
!