Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 VS. Asus P8Z68-V PRO

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2011 6:00:49 PM

I do not fully understand the differences between these two boards. What does the extra $50 get me when purchasing the V Pro?

I am in the process of building a computer that will be used heavily for multitasking, watching movies, computer programming (FORTRAN and Matlab), and lightly for gaming. I will have a few partitions across a couple HD's and will be experimenting with a few different OS's (WIN 7 will be the primary OS though).

I would like to fit an SSD into the build as well but have done little research on what is available or how it would benefit me.

My goal is to build a computer that can be upgraded to eventually install a dedicated graphics solution. I would have posted this question in "New Build" but I am having the most trouble selecting the motherboard. I will gladly repost or move the post to another portion of the site.

My current build looks like this:

Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Proc: Intel i5 2500 K
GPU: None. I plan to use the Intel HD 3000 graphics at first and drop in a card later.
RAM: 4 to 8gb (I am not very knowledgeable about RAM timings/specifics)
HD: Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB Link
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Link

MOBO: Need Help

Thank you for any and all advice.
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 6:06:41 PM

Asus board has +1 SATA 3Gb/s port and +2 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel.

Apart from that they are the same.
m
l
September 9, 2011 9:15:42 PM

itzdanielp said:
Asus board has +1 SATA 3Gb/s port and +2 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel.

Apart from that they are the same.

So $50 is only getting me a SATA Rev. 2 and 2 USB 2.0 ports..... Are you sure you are not missing something else? I figured that out by looking at the newegg comparison of the two products. Well, I guess if this is the case then I am most definitely going with the Gigabyte UD3.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 9:32:37 PM

I looked pretty carefully, and they use the same chipset, and everything else.

Generally Asus boards are a bit more expensive than the competition though, so that is where the $ difference is probably coming from.
m
l
!