Sign in with
Your question

Can't open my toshiba 1tb external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2013 7:12:28 AM

I purchased a toshiba canvio 1tb external hard drive in nov, 2011, formatted it to a mac and it worked fine until a few days ago. It doesnt' show up on the desktop or in finder but it does show in disk utilities. I tried verifying and repairing but message came that it is not repairable. Any ideas what I can do?
a c 79 G Storage
January 24, 2013 7:05:36 PM

You will have to plug it into a Windows PC and test it with diagnostic software because all such software runs on Windows only - there is no Mac-compatible hard drive testing software that I'm aware of.

Unlike other drive manufacturer's, Toshiba don't actually have any diagnostic software for Toshiba branded drives but you can test it with Seagate's software called "SeaTools for Windows". Click "Downloads" on this page: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

The software will tell you if the drive has failed. Use the "Long" or "Extended" test.
It doesn't matter that the drive is formatted for a Mac, the Windows diagnostic software tests the actual drive, not the data that's on it.
Related resources
January 25, 2013 9:37:25 AM

phil22 said:
You will have to plug it into a Windows PC and test it with diagnostic software because all such software runs on Windows only - there is no Mac-compatible hard drive testing software that I'm aware of.

Unlike other drive manufacturer's, Toshiba don't actually have any diagnostic software for Toshiba branded drives but you can test it with Seagate's software called "SeaTools for Windows". Click "Downloads" on this page: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

The software will tell you if the drive has failed. Use the "Long" or "Extended" test.
It doesn't matter that the drive is formatted for a Mac, the Windows diagnostic software tests the actual drive, not the data that's on it.

Thanks, Phil. I will get to a Windows PC as soon as I can and let you know what happens.
January 29, 2013 6:40:45 PM

Hello Phil and Ulricalolo
Unfortunately, neither of your recommendations worked because the Windows PC didn't recognize my external hard drive. Finally, I erased it on my mac and reformatted it in disk utility and now it seems ok again. Of course, I lost all the data that was on it. So while it seems to be working again, I don't trust that it will keep on working since it konked out once for no reason that I am aware of.

Thanks for your help!
!