Closed Solved

Sandy Bridge cpus

DRM technology?
i have a feeling that sounds ominous.

can someone explain to me why this new cpu is getting some bad reviews? :o
30 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sandy bridge cpus
  1. It is not getting bad reviews. In fact, not may reviews have been allocated online.

    What peole don't like is the new security feature Intel put on the new SB processors. I cannot tell you what it is about, I have not looked into it. Try to google it:

    http://www.google.com/
  2. it says here http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934536/intels-sandy-bridge-sucks-hollywood-drm
    their gonna lock down the computers with sandy bridge so that premium movies can fight piracy better?
    from the link:
    Mooly Eden, Intel's VP and general manager of the PC client group said that "Intel's embedded DRM allows content to be streamed to computers with Sandy Bridge chips and that Chipzilla is making deals with all the studios and content distributors to make it available."
  3. Okay i found a site for you that might help:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934536/intels-sandy-bridge-sucks-hollywood-drm

    the only reason why its getting bad reviews is becuase, they can lock your CPU if they see your have downloaded HD/blue-ray films....

    so yu better not do it..

    but as i have understod it dose not work on the K version
  4. tbh when i uploaded my comment yours came XD
  5. but AMD better take use this time to make a CPU without this system, or else they will lose (like always) :P
  6. haha yes lol, so basically i shoudnt buy sandybridge since i pirate stuff sometimes.
  7. No No you can buy Sandy Brigde, Tbh i just did...

    but at some point im 100% sure they will remove it.. becuase AMD will take advantage of this chance
  8. ...or someone will circumvent the system somehow. Pirates are always smarter than engineers...somehow?
  9. This is crazy to me. WTF??? They have lost their minds... No prob I am not buying the chip anyways..
  10. dogman_1234 said:
    ...or someone will circumvent the system somehow. Pirates are always smarter than engineers...somehow?

    Pirates aren't smarter than engineers... they just "arrrrrr" pirate engineers!
  11. :D ^
  12. I thought this was just an implementation HDCP since the GPU is on the chip.
  13. jsrudd said:
    I thought this was just an implementation HDCP since the GPU is on the chip.

    That is exactly what it is.

    I don't know why people complain about DRM like this to be honest, as all modern graphics cards have it.
  14. DRM is a security feature Intel implimented on Sandy Bridge.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    Excuse it to be Wikipedia, but it was the best I found.

    People complain about it because it violates their fredom of use...in a way.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
  15. In theory, this should open up new sources for our media. I really don't have a problem with it.
  16. BadTrip said:
    In theory, this should open up new sources for our media. I really don't have a problem with it.



    Weell, that makes 2 of us...because I wont be buying SB ANYTIME here. Let us see what AMD has to say. If there is not DRM enginerring on the system, well, many might fly over to the Bulldozer side of things.
  17. dogman_1234 said:
    DRM is a security feature Intel implimented on Sandy Bridge.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    Excuse it to be Wikipedia, but it was the best I found.

    People complain about it because it violates their fredom of use...in a way.



    People complaign about it because it makes them pay for stuff they would normally steal. Except Sony BMG's XCP C3-3. It turned out to act like a ROOTKIT!!!
  18. dogman_1234 said:
    Weell, that makes 2 of us...because I wont be buying SB ANYTIME here. Let us see what AMD has to say. If there is not DRM enginerring on the system, well, many might fly over to the Bulldozer side of things.



    Your reading comprehension needs work. I have already ordered my SB. I do not care about the DRM. I even have hope that I can get more content delivered to my home because of it.
  19. BadTrip said:
    Your reading comprehension needs work. I have already ordered my SB. I do not care about the DRM. I even have hope that I can get more content delivered to my home because of it.



    I still need to work on typing. Typing and trying to speel out a whole though is still in the works. I can learn other things pretty quick, but typing...ummm...

    I did not say I hate anything about the DRM feature, I just said that I won't be using SB this time. Sorry Intel. I am happy where I am at.
  20. BadTrip said:


    To bring up stock? Well, that's a move!

    As for the 1080p Streaming, we have had the exisitng technology ever since. No one has ever really utilized it. Heck, I bet we can stream 2160p here in the next 18 months!

    BTW, 2160 is just a dual platform of HD devices.
  21. dogman_1234 said:
    To bring up stock? Well, that's a move!

    As for the 1080p Streaming, we have had the exisitng technology ever since. No one has ever really utilized it. Heck, I bet we can stream 2160p here in the next 18 months!

    BTW, 2160 is just a dual platform of HD devices.



    Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

    Utilizing it is what this is about. What current content is 2160p? I am done in this thread. I have provided real information. Think what you want.

    Good Day!
  22. so in example me who "sometimes" use torrents to download my Episodes of Heroes or Dexter cant watch those downloaded contents anymore?
  23. defsam said:
    so in example me who "sometimes" use torrents to download my Episodes of Heroes or Dexter cant watch those downloaded contents anymore?


    well, that is the idea.
  24. oh if it is then... might as well stick to amd.
  25. Best answer
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9203799/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_s_Insider_is_not_DRM?taxonomyId=76

    "But Insider is not intended to be digital rights management technology, and it is not intended to limit the availability of content to users, said Josh Newman, graphics marketing director at Intel.

    Studios want to protect their premium content, and they are wary of streaming it to PCs, which are viewed as insecure devices, Newman said. Insider technology establishes a secure connection to prevent movies from being copied from over the network or inside the PC."


    [:henry chinaski:8]

    Pirated media doesn't care what your CPU is.


    Here is what BadTrip was trying to show you.

    BadTrip said:


    "Prior to Sandy Bridge Intel mentioned something to press called Intel Insider. Details would be forthcoming (see aforementioned keep-things-secret-and-profit strategy), but the premise was something along the lines of content providers would enable HD video playback on Sandy Bridge systems. Wonderful. At this year’s CES, I got some more detail on the technology.

    As I mentioned in my article on 8-channel LPCM over HDMI article, content owners are worried about putting high quality video or audio content on the PC. The fear is of course completely misplaced and misguided because even with the absurd amount of DRM in place on every form of high definition video media, pirated content is just as easy to come by as it ever was. Regardless, content owners will be content owners and they tend to flip out about things like providing super high resolution/high bitrate video to PCs. The thinking is that PCs are too easily compromised and thus the ultra-secure Blu-ray DRM should be the only way to get the best quality video on the PC."
  26. Oh yeah, and movies don't run higher than 1080p.
  27. Raidur said:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9203799/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_s_Insider_is_not_DRM?taxonomyId=76

    "But Insider is not intended to be digital rights management technology, and it is not intended to limit the availability of content to users, said Josh Newman, graphics marketing director at Intel.

    Studios want to protect their premium content, and they are wary of streaming it to PCs, which are viewed as insecure devices, Newman said. Insider technology establishes a secure connection to prevent movies from being copied from over the network or inside the PC."


    [:henry chinaski:8]

    Pirated media doesn't care what your CPU is.


    Here is what BadTrip was trying to show you.


    "Prior to Sandy Bridge Intel mentioned something to press called Intel Insider. Details would be forthcoming (see aforementioned keep-things-secret-and-profit strategy), but the premise was something along the lines of content providers would enable HD video playback on Sandy Bridge systems. Wonderful. At this year’s CES, I got some more detail on the technology.

    As I mentioned in my article on 8-channel LPCM over HDMI article, content owners are worried about putting high quality video or audio content on the PC. The fear is of course completely misplaced and misguided because even with the absurd amount of DRM in place on every form of high definition video media, pirated content is just as easy to come by as it ever was. Regardless, content owners will be content owners and they tend to flip out about things like providing super high resolution/high bitrate video to PCs. The thinking is that PCs are too easily compromised and thus the ultra-secure Blu-ray DRM should be the only way to get the best quality video on the PC."


    So in short even tho i have pirated 1080p torrent-ed movies they wont be affected? DRM on the new sandy bridge will just prevent me from Redistributing my Legit copy of a particular movie? hence the difference between the pirated and the legit one is the legit has better quality even tho their both at 1080p? does this prevent people from ripping bluerays now? :sweat:
  28. Best answer selected by defsam.
  29. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge DRM