ADVICE ON NEW PC BUILD THANKS

G

Ok so, I am just about to pull the trigger on that "checkout" button, and order all the components for my new i7 build.

I've reviewed TONS of parts and, I am just about ready to commit, but my final step is, of course, the ever-unforgiving peer review.

So here is my proposed line-up, and small explanations where I deem needed. Please feel free to provide suggestions/criticisms.

i7 950 CPU

[still the only reasonably priced i7 for performance/price ratio since next steps up are $600-$1000 for < 10% gain stock. And all 900 series easily reaching 4Ghz]

ASUS P6X58D Premium Mobo

[Agonizing STILL between this and Rampage III Extreme, P6X won out narrowly due to more mature BIOs options,my lack of needing extra PCI-E slots, and several scary DOA claims (R3E being a relatively new build). However this is where I am most open to outside opinion, as my last build was a Ram2 w/ i7-920]

Antec Twelve Hundred Case

[Superb cooling options for an all air system]

Noctua NH-D14 (what can I say, the thing is the BEAST of air cooling)

[Still not convinced that water cooling is worth the cost when most all i7s can run a stable 4Ghz @ reasonable temps w/ a <$100 air cooling solution. Compared to $300-$500 custom liquid cooling. Corsair H50/H70 are a joke compared to the Noctua]

GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI

[This took quite some thought, GTX470 running SLI seems to to run as good, or even better in most benchmark test @1920x1080(all of my monitors native res) test VS Radeon HD 5870.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx470-sli.html

And since the GTX470s are on sale for $300 I can get = or > RadHD5870 performance for $100 less. Seems the best solution short of paying $1400 for RadHD5870 x2 Crossfire]

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) RAM (Coming from a 6 GIG build, I am wondering if 12 gigs will limit OC options???)

CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W PSU (To feed those HUNGRY GTX470s and keep stable and steady power for USB devices and CPU and gets a good bundle deal with ASUS mobos)

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM Primary HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM x2 Data Drives

Misc. fans and other superfluous items.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism and suggestions welcome please. Total cost ~ $3000.00 am willing to bend +/- couple hundred, but not willing to extend orders of magnitude in price. (I build systems every 2yrs or so, to suit my considerable needs, not to extend my epenis)

Thank you all in advance.

G

Lol, well I try and sell my previous builds to help pay for my new builds

I sold my last i7-920 build for $1500 after nearly 2 yrs of use, so I budget about he same per year to keep my system current as I play competitive online FPS and others.

The suggestion for Seagate data drives is useful thank you.

Although, purely anecdotal, I have done well with WD drives for years. (I have an 80gig thats almost 10 yrs old that still runs in one of my PCs TODAY) I know they get a bad wrap for dieing HDDs but I think thats more due to the volume they sell. (more units shipped = more chances of failure, and since people with dead HDDs are most likely to go online and complain about it.....)

Thank you very much for your input