Sign in with
Your question

Copying files from damaged partition at a reasonable speed

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2013 10:48:45 AM

I inserted the SATA HDD from my old all-but-dead laptop (its problem is a power supply issue, not a drive issue) into a USB 2.0 docking station with hopes of copying files from it onto an external USB 3.0 HDD. While I never had any trouble with the drive in the old computer, apparently there is something wrong with the partition on it, as it won't mount in Windows 8. Computer shows the partition, but won't let me explore it. After taking a very long time to load, Disk Management shows the drive/partition as well.

I resorted to a Ubuntu 12.10 LiveDVD, and it only occasionally mounts there (even if I try to force mount it). When it does mount in Ubuntu, I am able to explore it and copy files from it, but the transfer is horribly slow - it gets as slow as 90 kbps, which means it would take a week to copy the 52.7 GB of data that I need from it.

I haven't had much luck with Windows partition recovery software (TestDisk, etc.).

I only need some of the data on the drive (52.7 GB of the 118.1 GB).

I'm hesitant to make a direct copy of the partition, as that would likely lead to me having problems with whatever drive I copy it to, right? I'm also hesitant to do anything that would modify the damaged drive/partition out of concern that it will render my data even more difficult to recover.

What's the best way to copy files from this drive at a reasonable rate (ideally in less than 1 day) to my USB HDD? Is there a bootable utility I can use? Would the transfer in Ubuntu be much faster if I were to get a USB 3.0 docking station / external enclosure instead of the USB 2.0 docking station that I have, or not due to the damage (since the speed is way below USB 2.0 or even USB 1.0 standards as it is)?

Is there any way I can get it to mount in Windows?

Inserting the drive internally via SATA is not an option.

Thanks!
a c 289 G Storage
January 24, 2013 1:36:59 PM

Sorry to tell you this, but sometimes recovery tools do take days and days to recover data. You could try another recovery tool, but IMO if the tool is actually recovering good data stick with it.
m
l
!