Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2011 7:09:11 PM

Can yo OC Sandy Bridge on new MB platforms?

More about : sandy bridge

a c 863 à CPUs
January 10, 2011 7:35:57 PM

Yes!
a c 103 à CPUs
January 10, 2011 9:23:05 PM

only the K ones can go above there turbo limit and only on P67 boards
Related resources
January 10, 2011 11:18:32 PM

simon12 said:
only the K ones can go above there turbo limit and only on P67 boards

Thanx

what about ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 11:37:42 PM

That's a good board.

Remember, Sandy Bridge CPUs can only be overclocked with multiplier. The B-clock is limited to 110MHz or less. Any P67 board from a good manufacturer will work.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 11:38:23 PM

Quote:
info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Victor'
xx@xxxx.xxx: Hi,
Victor: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
xx@xxxx.xxx: According to http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/gaming-power.htm, overclocking 2nd Gen Core processors requires a P67 chipset. According to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/324586.pdf, H67 supports the overclocking features of unlocked 2nd gen Core processors. Which is correct?
xx@xxxx.xxx: I may add that the overview page for the F67 chipset refers to P67.
xx@xxxx.xxx: H67, I mean, not F.
Victor: On the information that I have, both chipset's H and P will support the overclocking on unlocked processors. This will depend on the integration of the chipset and the BIOS.
xx@xxxx.xxx: Very interesting! Nearly all the reviews I have read state that only P67 supports overclocking.
Victor: Currently in our motherboards the P67 chipset motherboard has enabled the overclocking features.
xx@xxxx.xxx: Thankyou. So it is dependent on the motherboard manufacture as to whether an H67 board can overclock or not, I believe.
Victor: Correct.
xx@xxxx.xxx: OK. Now I know what I'll be doing, thankyou.
Victor: You are welcome and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.
Victor: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close'' to close the chat window. Have a nice day.

Above is the chat transcript with Intel customer service.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 11:47:42 PM

According to the information I've seen, the H67 chipset does support overclocking, but only for the processor graphics (GPU) portion of the chip. The actual CPU portion remains locked on H67.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:21:38 AM

Yes, but why is there always the reference to unlocked processors with H67? All CPUs have unlocked GPU multipliers!
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:37:07 AM

PreferLinux said:
Yes, but why is there always the reference to unlocked processors with H67? All CPUs have unlocked GPU multipliers!
Because the K-series (unlocked) processors also have better on-die GPUs. The standard processors have something like half the GPU disabled.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:45:12 AM

Yes, but that is not my point! You can still overclock the GPU on a i5 2300, so what does the unlocked have to do with that? Victor knew I was talking about CPU overclocking, not GPU, anyway, as he said "Currently in our motherboards the P67 chipset motherboard has enabled the overclocking features" and Intel's H67 boards can overclock the GPU. So he was talking about CPU overclocking too. Also, those pages I mentioned were referring to overclocking the CPU.

P.S. Someone on AnandTech forum said they had heard that ES chips would not overclock on H67, but that retail would. That could explain the reviews.
a c 203 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:49:52 AM

Milos-stancene said:
what about ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

Best I have seen on sale so far .... but Im gonna wait for the Sabertooth.
January 11, 2011 1:08:00 AM

From Asus P8H67-M EVO

Quote:

Precision Tweaker 2
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 254-step
- iGPU: Adjustable iGPU voltage at 254-step
- vCCIO: Adjustable I/O voltage at 90-step
- vDRAM Bus: Adjustable Memory voltage at 100-step
- vPCH: Adjustable Chipset voltage at 65-step
- vCPU_PLL: Adjustable CPU & PCH PLL voltage at 100-step
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- BCLK/PEG frequency tuning from 80MHz up to 300MHz at 0.1MHz increment
Overclocking Protection
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Is that about GPU or CPU overclocking?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:21:39 AM

Mainly CPU, but it has both. It does not mention changing the multipliers, but then, neither do the P67 boards. I have not seen anything on any of Asus's or Gigabyte's H67 boards, or not seen anything on H67 boards that is on P67 boards, that would suggest they do not overclock.
January 11, 2011 1:28:34 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Best I have seen on sale so far .... but Im gonna wait for the Sabertooth.

Where is the Sabertooth? I really want to build soon.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:44:30 AM

PreferLinux said:
I have not seen anything on any of Asus's or Gigabyte's H67 boards, or not seen anything on H67 boards that is on P67 boards, that would suggest they do not overclock.

Read this: Linky

There. Now you've seen a review that says Asus and Gigabyte H67 boards only overclock the GPU. Page four of the review also reiterates it.
January 11, 2011 1:44:59 AM

Any news when it will be on Newegg?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:48:11 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Read this: Linky

There. Now you've seen a review that says Asus and Gigabyte H67 boards only overclock the GPU. Page four of the review also reiterates it.

Do they test it? No. If they did, they would probably have ES CPUs anyway, which I have heard would not overclock on H67 boards. And why do they have the overclocking options in the BIOS anyway, if they don't overclock? And you think the Intel technical support person didn't know what they were talking about?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:40:10 AM

PreferLinux said:
Do they test it? No. If they did, they would probably have ES CPUs anyway, which I have heard would not overclock on H67 boards. And why do they have the overclocking options in the BIOS anyway, if they don't overclock? And you think the Intel technical support person didn't know what they were talking about?

lol
You must have never had a bad technical support experience. I'd like to believe that the Intel guy knew what he was talking about, but I know for a fact that tech support people don't have all the information you think they do/should. I've been on both sides -- I used to work in technical support for a nationwide point-of-sale terminal company providing registers for retail chains.

Yes, confirmation by actual users with retail chips/boards would be nice.

By the way ... you're reading a lot into a very short conversation you had with 'Victor'-the-random-Intel-tech-support-person.

Perhaps the 'overclocking features' he was referring to are the ones we know right now -- that H67 can overclock the GPU, and P67 can overclock the CPU. IIRC, there are chips that are completely locked, chips that are unlocked but only a few bins worth, and completely unlocked chips. Maybe Intel intends to come out with chips where the GPU is locked too. Ever think of that? lol
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:10:55 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
lol
You must have never had a bad technical support experience. I'd like to believe that the Intel guy knew what he was talking about, but I know for a fact that tech support people don't have all the information you think they do/should. I've been on both sides -- I used to work in technical support for a nationwide point-of-sale terminal company providing registers for retail chains.

Yes, confirmation by actual users with retail chips/boards would be nice.

By the way ... you're reading a lot into a very short conversation you had with 'Victor'-the-random-Intel-tech-support-person.

Perhaps the 'overclocking features' he was referring to are the ones we know right now -- that H67 can overclock the GPU, and P67 can overclock the CPU. IIRC, there are chips that are completely locked, chips that are unlocked but only a few bins worth, and completely unlocked chips. Maybe Intel intends to come out with chips where the GPU is locked too. Ever think of that? lol
Intel has been guilty of withholding this type of information in the past. The original Core i7 retail processors for example supported memory ratios up to DDR3-2133, while the engineering samples were stuck at 1066, and Intel never fessed-up to the difference.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:16:50 AM

Crashman said:
Intel has been guilty of withholding this type of information in the past. The original Core i7 retail processors for example supported memory ratios up to DDR3-2133, while the engineering samples were stuck at 1066, and Intel never fessed-up to the difference.

Marketing?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 5:14:06 AM

Well, Intel never said H67 could not overclock. They only said overclocking required a P67 board. I take it they are only referring to Intel boards, with which the H67 versions cannot overclock. So, with Intel boards, Currently in our motherboards the P67 chipset motherboard has enabled the overclocking features. So, with Intel boards, P67 is required, but not necessarily with other manufactures' boards.

And yes, I know H67 does not support "performance tuning" or whatever, but if you look on Intel for that, all you find are programs for overclocking, and references to LGA775 motherboards/chipsets, so we don't necessarily know what that is, and definitely not that it is the ability to change the CPU multiplier, especially as everything I have read refers to the unlocked multipliers as exactly that.
a c 103 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 9:21:13 AM

My understanding is the H67 boards can only overclock as high as the turbo can go and there are no power controls (I assume this means the voltage is locked). I have looked at the Asrock website and there cheapest H67 board (H67M) says

"In Overclocking, you are allowed to adjust the CPU frequency, ratio and some voltages for optimal system performance."

I also read a review of it here http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/asrock-h67m-geht-intel-h... which claims they could overclock to 3.7GHz but no higher.

I have no idea how much of the above is correct but it seems to make sense, hope it helps.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 5:32:52 PM

Nice. That proves that H67 can overclock. Obviously, the motherboard manufacture can limit overclocking, so that may well be what happened, seeing it is their cheapest. Asus's cheapest H67 cannot overclock at all, as far as I can tell from the specifications.

I note that at least one of Asrock's boards plainly says that it does not support overclocking, while some do not.

I'm guessing that the review is likely done using a ES CPU anyway.
January 11, 2011 8:12:31 PM

Ok,thank you
What would be the best DDRAM3 for OC?
a c 127 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:43:22 PM

Crashman said:
Because the K-series (unlocked) processors also have better on-die GPUs. The standard processors have something like half the GPU disabled.

Pretty much. Except its funny that the mobile platform will have the HD 3000 GPU. All of them. I guess I understand even though Quick Sync doesn't care either way it seemed.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:55:58 PM

Milos-stancene said:
Ok,thank you
What would be the best DDRAM3 for OC?
There was still some DDR3-2133 CAS8 floating around last I looked, but DDR3-2133 CAS9 is probably close enough.
!