Difference between i3 and dual core

Hi,

I am looking for a decent laptop for home usage for browsing and normal computing. I am confused which processor to go for. I have the following 3 choices,
HP - g62t - Pentium dual core - 4GB RAM - 320 hdd -bla bla for $424 + tax
HP - g62t - i3 350M 2.26Ghz - 4GB RAM - 500 hdd -bla bla for $474 + tax
HP - g62t - i3 370M 2.40Ghz - 4GB RAM - 500 hdd -bla bla for $494 + tax

Please help me decide.

Thanks in advance!
7 answers Last reply
More about difference dual core
  1. Go for the g62t with the i3 370m; i use the i3 530 desktop cpu, and it works great.
  2. Any of the I3's will do, but stay away from the Pentium dual core.
  3. i3-370. It is worth the extra 20 bucks.
  4. I will bet that the "Pentium Dual Core" used here is a P6100. They came out last September. Its an Arrandale-based processor... so its like a "mobile i3 Jr.". The main differences are that its 1> same/133/266 MHz slower than the slowest mobile i3, 2> Lacks HyperThreading, 3> Lacks SSE4 4> Lacks Virtualization, 5> slightly higher min voltage.

So... its not as bad as the 'classic' Pentium dual core chips... but I think the extra $50/70 isn't too much to pay for the extra 266/400 MHz and Hyperthreading. It should make the laptop feel 'snappier'.

Good luck!
  5. Thank you so much to you all. I am planning to go for i3 but the model i have decided is HP dv6t

15'6 + i3 + 4GB RAM + 500 GB HDD + webcam + bla bla.... - around $550

Any comments? Is HP preferred to DELL?
    which display size is convenient to use(14 or 15'6)? Will it make significant difference in weight?
  6. I've used hp's customer support including their live online tech support. Probably better than dell's support.
  7. raajagurum said:
    Thank you so much to you all. I am planning to go for i3 but the model i have decided is HP dv6t

15'6 + i3 + 4GB RAM + 500 GB HDD + webcam + bla bla.... - around $550

Any comments? Is HP preferred to DELL?
    which display size is convenient to use(14 or 15'6)? Will it make significant difference in weight?

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think HP has surpassed Dell lately. We're getting HP machines now at work at they're pretty well built.
    HP has felt a little more sturdy than the last Toshiba I looked at. More metal and less plastic for the two I compared.

Enjoy the new system!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Hewlett Packard Hard Drives Dual Core