Locked out of my Acer Notebook by a BIOS password

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 11, 2005 11:46:16 AM

Locked out of my Acer Notebook TravelMate 290 by a BIOS password. One
of my former employees finally returned the Co. owned laptop. Needless
to say I don't want to communicate with the lowlife %$@#^%&$#. He set
a bios password that I of course don't have. This notebook's claim is
that there's layers of security including the use of bios passwords as
well as two "smartcards". Credit card looking that slip into the
machine if one forgets their pword. Tried it doesn't work however I may
not have the correct card as it may go to one of the the other 5
notebooks that we bot. Anybody know the remedy?? JRC
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 1:48:56 PM

Talk to your IT guys, or your maintenance organization.

U bought the hardware with some sort of maintenance options right?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 4:31:00 PM

"JRC" <jr.coburn@gmail.com> writes:
> Locked out of my Acer Notebook TravelMate 290 by a BIOS password. ...
> notebooks that we bot. Anybody know the remedy?? JRC

Contact Acer if you have the purchase invoice with the serial number.
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 5:25:54 PM

JRC wrote:
> Locked out of my Acer Notebook TravelMate 290 by a BIOS password. One
> of my former employees finally returned the Co. owned laptop. Needless
> to say I don't want to communicate with the lowlife %$@#^%&$#. He set
> a bios password that I of course don't have. This notebook's claim is
> that there's layers of security including the use of bios passwords as
> well as two "smartcards". Credit card looking that slip into the
> machine if one forgets their pword. Tried it doesn't work however I
> may not have the correct card as it may go to one of the the other 5
> notebooks that we bot. Anybody know the remedy?? JRC

Take the employee to small claims court for the value of the laptop.

January 11, 2005 9:43:01 PM

You have a number of options. I did a google search on' remove bios password
travelmate 290' and came up with a number of answers that you could search
thru and apply. One was on a 280 where there was a switch bank under the
memory somewhere and turning on sw6 and booting reset bios to factory. Go
thru some of the answers and try them on your laptop. I couldn't find a
service manual on the Acer site. You could check with the dealer that sold
you the computers or look for an Acer repair shop near you. You could also
call Acer service....

"JRC" <jr.coburn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Locked out of my Acer Notebook TravelMate 290 by a BIOS password. One
> of my former employees finally returned the Co. owned laptop. Needless
> to say I don't want to communicate with the lowlife %$@#^%&$#. He set
> a bios password that I of course don't have. This notebook's claim is
> that there's layers of security including the use of bios passwords as
> well as two "smartcards". Credit card looking that slip into the
> machine if one forgets their pword. Tried it doesn't work however I may
> not have the correct card as it may go to one of the the other 5
> notebooks that we bot. Anybody know the remedy?? JRC

January 11, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Also check for a software manual on one of the other computers that may give
information on switch bank or removing the password.

"Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message
> You have a number of options. I did a google search on' remove bios
> password travelmate 290' and came up with a number of answers that you
> could search thru and apply. One was on a 280 where there was a switch
> bank under the memory somewhere and turning on sw6 and booting reset bios
> to factory. Go thru some of the answers and try them on your laptop. I
> couldn't find a service manual on the Acer site. You could check with the
> dealer that sold you the computers or look for an Acer repair shop near
> you. You could also call Acer service....
>

> "JRC" <jr.coburn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Locked out of my Acer Notebook TravelMate 290 by a BIOS password. One
>> of my former employees finally returned the Co. owned laptop. Needless
>> to say I don't want to communicate with the lowlife %$@#^%&$#. He set
>> a bios password that I of course don't have. This notebook's claim is
>> that there's layers of security including the use of bios passwords as
>> well as two "smartcards". Credit card looking that slip into the
>> machine if one forgets their pword. Tried it doesn't work however I may
>> not have the correct card as it may go to one of the the other 5
>> notebooks that we bot. Anybody know the remedy?? JRC

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2010 8:13:34 PM

Remove DIMMS (ram), look for the tiny J1 jumper, short the two dots for two seconds and hey presto! Be sure to use a very tiny screwdriver.

Hope this helps you.

Ben Hall

!