Sign in with
Your question

Extending Our Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 3, 2010 1:08:54 AM

Greetings,

My parents currently have a Linksys WRT300N Wireless Router which is located on the second floor of their home. Three devices connect to this router with Ethernet cables and other devices connect using internal wireless adapters. Signal in the basement/first floor is fairly weak and they wish to extend the range of the wireless network to the back porch and the garage.

I originally thought about using an AP and configuring it to run in repeater mode. This solution avoided running cables through the walls and what have you which is great. However further research indicated that going with a repeater also cuts the network throughput significantly. The loss in bandwidth won't work in their situation as they wish to stream video & audio.

I then discovered powerline networking and thought I found the answer. I want to purchase the Linksys PLK300 kit and set up one adapter in the room with the router and put the other adapter in a good location in the basement. Now for the confusing part. I don't know if I should purchase a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router or a Linksys WAP54G AP to connect to the adapter.

I'm worried that having an extra "router" will cause issues with the current Linksys WRT300N router. Although I can configure it to run in AP mode.

These two units cost the exact same and I'm unsure which direction I should go?

Does this setup sound good and will it provide decent throughput and connectivity?

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Thanks

• Linksys PLK300
  • Linksys WRT54GL
  • Linksys WAP54G
  • More about : extending network

Anonymous
    August 3, 2010 8:56:29 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem integrating powerline adapters with your system as far as IP addresses etc are concerned.

My worry is that this remains a controversial technology -- if it works it's very convenient and can be quick.

The problem is that success relies on the nature of the wiring layout in the property. My own experience was that some cheap units only worked very slowly even within the same room and though they appeared to connect with other rooms, no data was passed. They also caused interference on audio equipment -- and it's alleged that badly designed units can cause widespread interference in a neighbourhood. Yet I've read comment from users of the same product that they were great !

I would suggest that you agree with the retailer that he'll refund your money if they don't work satisfactorily in your premises.
    August 4, 2010 11:01:54 PM

Yeah, I was reading about powerline networking being some what unreliable. But as of now, I believe this might be the best solution without having to run Ethernet cables far distances.

I plan on ordering all of this from Newegg and their return policy is reasonable.

What would you suggest to be used as the access point, the WRT54GL router or the WAP54G access point? As mentioned previously, the cost the same but I'm not sure what would be more beneficial in this situation?

I use the WRT54GL at my apartment and it's the best wireless router that I have ever used and it supports third party firmware.

Thanks
    Anonymous
    August 5, 2010 10:34:04 AM

A wireless router is more flexible than an access point.
    !