Sign in with
Your question

PS3 audio reversed

Last response: in Components
January 10, 2011 10:43:27 PM

Hi,

A little bit of setup before I get to my question:
I'm running both a computer and a PS3 through an ASUS VE276Q monitor. The monitor has a DVI-in, and HDMI-in, a 3.5mm audio-in and a 3.5mm audio-out. For the computer, I'm using the DVI-in and audio-in to get sound. For the PS3, I'm using HDMI for both audio and video. For the audio-out, I'm using a 3.5mm-to-RCA cord to hook it into my all-in-one stereo.

Now here's my question: I game on both the PC and the PS3. I noticed yesterday that when I play the PS3, the audio on the speakers is reversed-- for example, if a noise happens on the right, I hear it come out of the left speaker. I've tried this on multiple games on the PS3 and the sound is consistently switched. Whereas when I play a game on the PC, the sound is fine. Is there some kind of audio setting or connection issue that I'm missing here? I haven't been able to find any threads of people with a similar problem.

Thanks a lot!

More about : ps3 audio reversed

January 11, 2011 11:22:23 AM

So if I get the setup right, as far as your PS3 is concerned:

PS3 -> HDMI -> Moniter -> 3.5mm to RCA -> Stereo

A quick test you can do: When outputting audio from the moniter (I believe the VE series from ASUS has built in speakers?), is the audio set correctly for the PS3?
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:43:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. As near as I can tell the sound from the monitor speakers is reversed, which at least makes sense... if it wasn't I wouldn't know what to make of the problem:)  So I guess it's most likely the monitor is switching the channels of the HDMI input. I still haven't found a way to reverse the channels with PC software (having trouble with kx sound drivers) and after figuring out what components I would have to add for a "piggyback" setup I'm not willing to deal with the extra clutter/money. For now I'm just switching the RCA plugs manually when I need the channels to be correct.
m
l
January 18, 2011 11:38:19 AM

Very odd; either the PS3 is outputting in reverse, or the moniter is outputting in reverse...

Make sure your moniter doesn't have any settings for "reverse stereo" built in. Other then that, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I know my PS3 has no issues with HDMI audio output, so I don't think its a PS3 problem...
m
l
!