Slow transfer speeds on PC but fast on my Flat mates

300Spoons

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Ok so, me and a flat mate both have an identical 3tb internal drive.
I gave him my 3tb external and he filled it up with films etc, he was using a usb 3.0 HDD enclosure because he uses a laptop, but was getting transfer speeds of 100mbs consistently.

I get my external back and only get transfer speeds of 30mbs to a drive that is identical to his, I have a desktop which has usb 3.0 capability and all drivers are up to date.
Anyone got any idea why there is such a difference in speeds? I've checked to make sure the internal drive is set to ahci in BIOS so have no idea what else there is to it.

The only other difference is that he's running windows 8 and I'm using 7

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

300Spoons

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Yep I've tried it in 6 different usb ports with the same results, and it's all wired up correctly so I don't know what's up.
Thanks anyway

Try a shorter cable(unless the drive just came with a 3-4 footer). Some usb 3 controllers seen to be vastly effected by long cables(this ranges from disconnects to drops to usb 2.0 speeds. Personally, the drop to 2.0 makes more sense then trying 3.0 and then disconnecting).

Other then that, make sure the plug in pushed all the way into the computer end as if not, the USB 3 connection will not be made.

Most(but not all) USB 3.0 plugs are blue to make it easy to find them.

An as always, check for the latest drivers from the MB makers site.

300Spoons

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
nukemaster, thanks, but none of that is the cause, I have a total of 8 USB 3.0's and know that they are blue, as for the lead length that can't be a problem it's only about 40cm long.
I update motherboard drivers regularly and updated yesterday morning, problem still present though...
the motherboard is an Asus P8Z77V - Deluxe I have no idea what controller my flat mate uses he is out at the moment, but in device manager there are two listed for mine saying "Intel(R) 7 series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26 and the other ends 1E2D.

What do you mean by measuring throughput?

Thanks

300Spoons

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
:eek: problem fixed I think, tweaked some settings in the Asus suite, turned on 3.0 boost and now getting 150mbs on relatively small files, didn't think it would make that much difference, but thanks all for suggestions!