Raid 0 hdds to ssds

compnoob001

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hi, I don't know much about computers but I have a laptop with 2 hard drives using raid 0. I bought 2 SSDs (both the exact same) and was wondering how I would go by swapping the hard drives for the SSDs and keep all my data? Thanks

What is your HDD chipset?
When an SSD is a member drive of an Raid array,Currently the only chipset/Driver that support Trims is the Intel 7 series Chipset (IB) coupled with latest Intel driver rst ver 11.x.

Loved Raid0 for OLD mechanical HDDs, Do not fnd much advantage with SSD.
Main parameter that benifits from Raid0 is Sequencial perormance. Therefor little performace boost to OS Load and Program load. Raid0 does nothing for Access time and Very little improvement for smal 4 K random performance.
Only time I recommend raid0 with SSDs is when you do a lot of Photo editting of LAE jepeg/Bitmap photos o Manupulate thoe 1gig DVD movie files, or the 30 gig Blue-ay files.

compnoob001

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I have an Intel Core i7-3820QM running windows 7 64-bit. I do work a lot with music programs and movie editing but I bought the SSDs on sale so I may as well install both. My question is, I have a SATA wire and cloned one of the drives, do I need to clone the same thing on both SSDs?

When you create a RAID-0 array the data on all drives in the array is deleted in the process.

So you will need to backup your needed data & files.

You could then create your array, do a fresh install of Windows, reinstall your programs, and then copy your data and files from your backup disks.

Probably best to follow RetiredChief's advice and install them as separate drives C: and D:

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
* Install Acronis True Image Home to your laptop.
* Backup your boot drive to an external usb disk.
* Prepare a Acronis rescue disk. (on CD or usb stick).
* Turn off your laptop. Put the ssds inside.
* Turn your laptop on. Enter the raid bios. Prepare your raid disk (everything will be deleted.)
* Reset and boot with your rescue disk. Acronis will start in a dos-like environment.
* Restore your boot disk image onto your newly formed raid disk.
* This is all

TRENDING THREADS