Motherboard stand off's Lock tight?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
:hello:

Whenever I try to install a motherboard with copper screw in stand offs I always notice that the stand offs kind of get loose when screwing them in and it makes putting the motherboard in solidly a pain and it makes removing the board at a later time very difficult. My question is, can you put lock tight on the stand offs before installing the motherboard or is their any other alternative to getting the stand offs installed firmly.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

I had an antec 900 and a compu case that both did the same thing. I'm going to get a lian li case and just get some lock tight on it to be sure.

Thanks for the response, just wanted to see if it was a common issue with stand offs.

Yes, a nut driver.

Get a cheap computer tool kit with a socket set that fits on the end of a screwdriver handle

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=Computer%20Tool%20Kit&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

I have never run into the problem you described even when I put the standoff in "hand tight" ... once tightened down with a screw, not like they can go anywhere.

The only way I can see this being an issue is if you are overtightening the screws you're putting in the standoffs....if ya using more than 2 fingers , you're overtightening.