Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What does this say about Bulldozer?

Last response: in CPUs
a c 88 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:59:25 AM

not up to par, poor yield, too expensive to compete without loss of money, something along those lines i would say.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:01:43 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
not up to par, poor yield, too expensive to compete without loss of money, something along those lines i would say.

I tend to agree.
Score
Related resources
January 11, 2011 2:44:16 AM

Is says nothing about the product, the decisions had nothing to do with the products.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:13:58 AM

jf-amd said:
Is says nothing about the product, the decisions had nothing to do with the products.

As a Manager, as I should say, of AMD, you are possibly the ONLY one on this Forum to know Dirk more personally than the rest of us.

Please explain to the best of your ability what this means for Advanced Micro Devices?
Score
a c 87 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:42:58 AM

I don't see how it means anything. According to that article he presented a plan which the board didn't like. Its unknown if he left on his own or was forced out. Board wanted a bold approach, and he wanted a smaller one. What does any of that have to do with how well BD performs? I think you are reading a bit to much into this.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:57:37 AM

The world wide economy sucks. Nobody is buying anything. ALL company's are doing more poorly than they normally would under better circumstances. Who gets the finger pointed at them ? Who else ? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:35:18 AM

That is why Intel want their stocks bumped up with SB.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:08:21 PM

Anand speculates that the resignation is a result of Meyer's not wanting to go along with a sale of AMD to ATIC. If that happens, time to buy AMD stock..
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:10:11 PM

^^ Insider information! *cough* :D 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:13:44 PM

:pfff: 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 7:39:19 PM

*sigh* Photoshop...you've got to love it!
Score
a c 127 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:35:45 PM

jf-amd said:

I don't think you are wrong but it seems weird that he would "retire" (some are saying due to pressure from the BoD) when he managed to help keep AMD from the brink of death. He even was the one who helped to put out the Opteron which gave Intel quite a pain in the server market, the best market honestly, for a long time.

If someone came in like he did when the company was doing poorly and helped to make it run much better, I would think they would want to keep him.

Its like Ford new CEO. The guy is amazing at focusing on what matters and has made numerous smart moves including the redesign of the Taurus based on the European Mondeo (one of Fords best selling European cars), the Transit and next will be the European Focus which I predict will do extremley well due to its great style and probably much better performance. Add to that not needing the Federal Governments bail out and its a win.

Maybe the BoD is just crazy.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 9:06:17 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I don't think you are wrong but it seems weird that he would "retire" (some are saying due to pressure from the BoD) when he managed to help keep AMD from the brink of death. He even was the one who helped to put out the Opteron which gave Intel quite a pain in the server market, the best market honestly, for a long time.

If someone came in like he did when the company was doing poorly and helped to make it run much better, I would think they would want to keep him.

Its like Ford new CEO. The guy is amazing at focusing on what matters and has made numerous smart moves including the redesign of the Taurus based on the European Mondeo (one of Fords best selling European cars), the Transit and next will be the European Focus which I predict will do extremley well due to its great style and probably much better performance. Add to that not needing the Federal Governments bail out and its a win.

Maybe the BoD is just crazy.

There is so much speculation right now. I don't mean any disrespect to jf-amd, as he always polite and does not participate in the flaming that goes on here, but it is his job to sell BD. He is not a neutral source. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see, but one thing if for certain, this is not good for AMD. Dirk was doing an amazing job.
Score
January 12, 2011 12:36:40 AM

i think that if they want people to wait for bulldozer, they really need to start leaking much more info on it. I mean it being a no show at ces, no real release date, and the sudden departure of their ceo without a clear successor. Appearances matter, you can fan boy this fan boy that, call it all speculation and say events have nothing to do with the product, but the image AMD is putting out there is that something is wrong.
Score
a c 87 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 12:53:08 AM

Rosenberg I can see how you can see that. Keep in mind that last we heard it wasn't due out until the latter half of this year. While it would have been nice to see it at a consumer trade show in the first month of this year, I wouldn't take NOT seeing it as a bad sign.

As for Meyer leaving, there have been many rumors about that. I've heard everything from he wants to move on, (like that article said) the BoD being unhappy with his recent performance, to Meyer being unhappy that AMD is considering selling themselves to someone else. At this point I'd say wait a bit and see if Meyer/AMD comes out with ONE reason before assuming it has to do with Meyer being unhappy with BD and leaving the sinking ship.
Score
January 12, 2011 1:22:10 AM

last i heard it was due out q1/q2, one would think it reasonable based on that to see a peek at ces, seeing how sandybridge was also going to be there.
My main point was appearances, and right now AMD is appearing to have a weak or possible flawed offering in the wings, and if they want people to wait on it, esp. if it's now going to be a q3/q4 release they better start with the damage control. Let us see it or the internet rumor mill is going to keep on churning and not for the better.
Score
January 12, 2011 2:07:10 AM

dogman_1234 said:
As a Manager, as I should say, of AMD, you are possibly the ONLY one on this Forum to know Dirk more personally than the rest of us.

Please explain to the best of your ability what this means for Advanced Micro Devices?

There are a handful of things that I never comment on, market share, financials, unannounced pricing, etc. This is one of those things, it's a HR issue, it's someone's private matter, we are in the middle of quiet period and it is a board of directors action. Too many red flags for me to go down that path.
Score
January 12, 2011 2:13:09 AM

rosenberg1979 said:
last i heard it was due out q1/q2, one would think it reasonable based on that to see a peek at ces, seeing how sandybridge was also going to be there.
My main point was appearances, and right now AMD is appearing to have a weak or possible flawed offering in the wings, and if they want people to wait on it, esp. if it's now going to be a q3/q4 release they better start with the damage control. Let us see it or the internet rumor mill is going to keep on churning and not for the better.

We never said Q1. It was a Q2 for client and Q3 for server.
Score
January 12, 2011 2:35:33 AM

if bulldozer isn't awesome then we will probably see price bumps in enthusiast cards
Score
a c 87 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 2:40:18 AM

I don't remember the first launch figures I heard, but I think they only said first half. That could mean as late as June. Now they say second half, which could mean as early as July. (doubtful.) What I haven't heard was a reason for the push back. Its to late to add/change features, so perhaps there is an issue with the 32nm process, or some bug to work out. Either way delays are not good, but I think its a bit early to start major worries.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 3:43:08 AM

jf-amd said:
There are a handful of things that I never comment on, market share, financials, unannounced pricing, etc. This is one of those things, it's a HR issue, it's someone's private matter, we are in the middle of quiet period and it is a board of directors action. Too many red flags for me to go down that path.

I know you are on the server side, but the quiet period means all of the R&D is complete and Bulldozer and Fusion chips are getting ready to have AMD rake in some green?

From what can you say about Bulldozer? Maybe a link to what AMD has said that no one on this forum really researched.
Score
January 12, 2011 12:08:53 PM

Quiet period is between end of quarter and announcing earnings and means that we cannot make public or private statements around anything financial or anything that could be construed as having an impact on the share price.

If you want to see everything public about bulldozer read my blogs, especially the 20 questions blog, including the 3-400 questions that have been answered in the blogs.
Score
a c 159 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 12:41:00 PM

After read, I'm still thinking the same.

1- A person don't determinate the future of a company, less a company like AMD that if isn't the 1st one in CPU, has been doing something good since still be on business.
2- Bulldozer comes out in Q2, that's not a secret, rumor or speculation, the rumor or speculation are the performance and exactly release day. If you check the Gigabyte page, they already have one mobo with one of the new AMD platform.

Just IMO.
Score
January 12, 2011 2:14:18 PM

Quote:
what exactly can you tell us...?
seriously.

and instead of going through the entire blog, can you just link certain informative parts.?

"Relevant" is different for everyone. I recommend that you read the data.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 2:36:33 PM

i like jf-amd's blogs generally very clear and informative. obviously its only the info out there thats been released to the public, and probably screened before posted to make sure of the, however i am looking forward to BD and as JF is fairly accessable i hope to buy the man a beer someday (he likes good beer)
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 3:42:47 PM

indeed, i thin he gets to break some of the small news on his blog though, but like i said i am sure its scanned first to make sure its all info they want out :D 

i don't want him to reviel anythign tha'd get him in trouble, and instead just enjoy what info he can provide
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:26:38 PM

I understand why JF needs to keep thing under the hood. May I be the one to ask WHY AMD has kept Bulldozer behind closed doors, or even NOT revealing specs as to how BD runs. We know about the socket change, the CPU design and that is has Modules...nothing else.
Score
January 12, 2011 5:42:37 PM

g00fysmiley said:
i like jf-amd's blogs generally very clear and informative. obviously its only the info out there thats been released to the public, and probably screened before posted to make sure of the, however i am looking forward to BD and as JF is fairly accessable i hope to buy the man a beer someday (he likes good beer)

I will always accept a beer! Since I travel the world all year, just let me know where you live and I will let you know when I am in town.

As for the screening of the blogs, the one I wrote this morning actually covers that. I am sure the lawyers got a good laugh.

http://bit.ly/euNbSP
Score
January 12, 2011 5:45:21 PM

Quote:
being that you have a nice employment situation at AMD and in servers too...
what is your system specs..?
just out of curiosity, because you would without doubt have access to just about anything...!

when I was working for Dell, I had a few crazy set-ups I used to run even at home just for kicks and becuase hardware was all around me..
dual socket precisions, modded up smaller Dell units, etc..

P.S.
my curiosity also has gotten me to read the blog..... LOL

I actually blogged about my home network:
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2009/08/20/master-of-my-domai...

(for some reason the graphic was lost when the transferred to the new system.)

I am planning to build 3 new systems this spring, a client bulldozer, a bobcat and a low power bulldozer server. So keep an eye on the blogs, I will be writing all about them.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:45:34 PM

i live off the beaten path in rural florida, closest city is tallahassee, but i know you'll probably not be in this area as its mostly just a few universities ... more a long term plan of when i get to go to tradeshows but its been a few years since i've gotten a chance , last was e3 a few years back 2008 i believe , want to catch a ces one of these years :D 
Score
January 12, 2011 5:46:57 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I understand why JF needs to keep thing under the hood. May I be the one to ask WHY AMD has kept Bulldozer behind closed doors, or even NOT revealing specs as to how BD runs. We know about the socket change, the CPU design and that is has Modules...nothing else.

i have already answered this on several occasions.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:47:38 PM

^ hey, strange things happen!
Score
January 12, 2011 5:48:03 PM

g00fysmiley said:
i live off the beaten path in rural florida, closest city is tallahassee, but i know you'll probably not be in this area as its mostly just a few universities ... more a long term plan of when i get to go to tradeshows but its been a few years since i've gotten a chance , last was e3 a few years back 2008 i believe , want to catch a ces one of these years :D 

Ok, that is tough. I go to germany, china and singapore a lot, but florida generally doesn't make the docket.
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:51:26 PM

jf-amd said:
I will always accept a beer! Since I travel the world all year, just let me know where you live and I will let you know when I am in town.

As for the screening of the blogs, the one I wrote this morning actually covers that. I am sure the lawyers got a good laugh.

http://bit.ly/euNbSP

Must admit I enjoyed that Blog, and thinking of the lawyers who must have read it made me laugh. :lol: 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:53:52 PM

when i go international it's south america for family, liek i said, more a logn term goal as people usually come to my state to get away from work, when friends/family visit it's on the way to meet the rat down south (disney) or the beach/fishing... the fishing/beach in my area is nice though (st george island)
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:14:31 PM

jf-amd said:
i have already answered this on several occasions.

Congrats on having the 'CUP of the Year 2010." Saw your pic too. If I come to visit AMD,( which maybe be here soon), I will be able to spot you, shake hands, and go on with our lives...

BTW, the Lawyers are Funny. :D 

We know you work for AMD, but your opinions are your own... and so are ours!
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:15:12 PM

Quote:
I'll send my resume' and credentials, I'll be your 'apprentice'...
Cheers to your success..

I wanna come!
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:19:36 PM

^ No, I fly...with style! :sol: 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:20:29 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I wanna come!

Quote:
Can't let you do that, Starfox!

Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:26:11 PM

Quote:
first class it is baby...!
comp me a few drinks and sit back with our new AMD lappies...

But first, we need to contact AMD at the same time. Work a schedule that benefits us both. i have schooling during the spring. i could work form June to Last week in august.

I have an Idea. Let;s be advertisement directors. You know, make ads for AMD! While I am at school, you and me could conference each other via phone and set up ads for AMD.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:26:38 PM

small world mal.. i was born down in broward county, brown hospital and lived in tamerac

... for some reason i thought you lived in the UK >_<
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:30:42 PM

NO, I'm a Yankee here in the US.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:42:47 PM

i meant i thought mal lived in the uk. and i have family in boca raton too (i'm spanish and we spanish have big families >_<)

Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:52:16 PM

^ are you form Spain, US, or UK...or somewhere else undiscovered.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:59:52 PM

..meh, that's okay. Nice to meet you.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 7:01:51 PM

Hallo Harr Malmental.
Score
!