100% fan speeds on boot

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi,

I recently bought a GTX 260 as a dedicated physx procesor, and it it working fine. Using the phsyx mod I have got it working in mafia 2 (which is a quality game by the way) along with my ati 5970.

The only minor problem is the gtx 260 fan speed will startup at 100% until I get into windows (and the drivers kick in). I'm not sure this is completely normal, as my old GTX 260 didn't do this. Its not a massive deal, but its pretty loud.

Is there anyway of slowing it down before windows? I had a look at Rivatuner, but it not suprisingly only seems to deal with fan speeds at a driver level. Its a gainward 260 by the way.

Nice one

system:
i7 920 @ 3.8
asus p6td deluxe,
corsair 6GB RAM
asus 5970
gainward gtx 260
asus xonar sound card
corsair 750TX psu

Does the fan speed lower down when the drivers kick in? I think its normal. No drivers, no control... right? Even my HD4850, fan makes a lot more noise than normal when booting. After loading everything, it clams down.

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Yea, once the drivers kick in they slow down.

I guess it makes sense...shy of a bios flash I imagine there is nothing that can be done.

If its normal, i can live with it.

The difference i noticed between the two GTX 260's i've owned was probably just a manufacturer difference (one gainward, one XFX), with different bios'.

thanks for the clarification.