instant crashes

Hi!

I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine
(instant reset to post). I have no clue why this happends as all other
software and games runs just fine. Any suggestions on troubleshoting and
fixing this would be very welcome.

System:
1024MB RAM
AMD 3000
WinXP Pro SP2
DX 9.0b
Radeon 9100
Catalyst 4.2
Unpatched UT

TIA
Thomas
32 answers Last reply
More about instant crashes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Thomas Andersson" <steiner@tifozi.net> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
    > points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine
    > (instant reset to post). I have no clue why this happends as all other
    > software and games runs just fine. Any suggestions on troubleshoting and
    > fixing this would be very welcome.
    >
    > System:
    > 1024MB RAM
    > AMD 3000
    > WinXP Pro SP2
    > DX 9.0b
    > Radeon 9100
    > Catalyst 4.2
    > Unpatched UT
    >
    > TIA
    > Thomas

    Where did you get XP SP2 from?
    It's still only a release candidate and should not have been installed on a
    computer you intended to use in a non test environment.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > I have a problem with UR2k4 here [...] Unpatched UT

    Try patching it.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    >> I have a problem with UR2k4 here [...] Unpatched UT
    >
    > Try patching it.

    So this is a known problem then?

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
    > points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine
    > (instant reset to post). I have no clue why this happends as all other
    > software and games runs just fine. Any suggestions on troubleshoting and
    > fixing this would be very welcome.
    >
    > System:
    > 1024MB RAM
    > AMD 3000
    > WinXP Pro SP2
    > DX 9.0b
    > Radeon 9100
    > Catalyst 4.2
    > Unpatched UT
    >
    > TIA
    > Thomas

    I had the same problem. I play several games on a linux box I built.
    All worked great, including UT2004 - for a *long* time. Then UT2004
    started crashing, and only UT2004. By crashing, I mean back to POST. I
    figured, given that UT2004 puts my machine to a real work out, it might
    be heat. After last crash, I went into setup and checked the CPU temp.
    YUP! Then I tore the case off and took a look around. Dust
    everywhere including a landfill's worth between the CPU fan and
    heatsink. I removed the fan from the heatsink and applied a liberal
    dose of vacuum cleaner.

    Problem solved.

    Since you also have an AMD machine, you might try the same.

    Ari
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > So this is a known problem then?

    Well, you didn't exactly describe a problem. You only told us it
    crashes. You might want to look at it's log file to find out more, and
    read our FAQ.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Well, you didn't exactly describe a problem. You only told us it
    > crashes. You might want to look at it's log file to find out more, and
    > read our FAQ.

    Ah, sorry, well, I doubt there's any time to enter any logs and there's
    realy no time to register any problem. One sec everything is fine, the next
    your staring at the POST screen. The Windows report thingy logs it a a
    device driver problem (but I don't think I've ever seen any other thing
    reported). I've upgraded to Catalyst 4.5 as well as patched up UT to the
    lastest now to see if it helps.
    The Window event viewer shows nothing. Are UT supposed to keep log files to?
    At least I can't find any...

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Ari Rankum wrote:

    > started crashing, and only UT2004. By crashing, I mean back to POST.
    > I figured, given that UT2004 puts my machine to a real work out, it
    > might be heat. After last crash, I went into setup and checked the
    > CPU temp. YUP! Then I tore the case off and took a look around.
    > Dust
    > everywhere including a landfill's worth between the CPU fan and
    > heatsink. I removed the fan from the heatsink and applied a liberal
    > dose of vacuum cleaner.

    Thanks, but my case is clean and there are quiet a few fans, I keep an eye
    on CPU tempa nd it's not that bad. I use a TT Extreme Volcano fan at full
    speed which keeps temps down but it still crashes. I first thought it was
    heat to, but I don't think so anymore.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Thomas Andersson" <steiner@tifozi.net> wrote:
    >Thanks, but my case is clean and there are quiet a few fans, I keep an eye
    >on CPU tempa nd it's not that bad. I use a TT Extreme Volcano fan at full
    >speed which keeps temps down but it still crashes. I first thought it was
    >heat to, but I don't think so anymore.

    What's the temperature of your graphics card GPU? Can you touch the
    heatsink without burning your fingers? The silly little fans on those
    cards don't hold up very long before the bearings seize up, and the
    Radeon 9100 is pretty old...

    --
    William Smith
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thus spake Thomas Andersson on 6/4/2004 3:53 PM:
    > I first thought it was
    > heat to, but I don't think so anymore.

    Are you overclocked? If not, it could also be a problem with your
    memory or power supply. Make sure memory is running at its rated BIOS
    settings, and try running Memtest http://www.memtest.org/ overnight with
    all tests enabled, that will rule in/out your memory. What brand of
    Power Supply do you use, what wattage, and how many HD and optical discs
    are you powering? The power from your wall could be dirty and the PSU
    unable to clean the spikes, or unable to handle peak load of your card
    and drives combined. Could be a million other things, but these are the
    most common. Good luck.

    tb
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson wrote:

    > Thanks, but my case is clean and there are quiet a few fans, I keep an eye
    > on CPU tempa nd it's not that bad. I use a TT Extreme Volcano fan at full
    > speed which keeps temps down but it still crashes. I first thought it was
    > heat to, but I don't think so anymore.

    Okay. Well, if it's doing insta-crash, it's almost surely a hardware
    fault of some sort. Seems like you've already checked memory and power.
    Has your entire experience with UT2004 been plagued by instant
    reboots, or is this new?

    I'd probably proceed with backing some things off in the BIOS to see if
    the crashing stops. You may get lucky with some experiments and develop
    some theories as to what's causing the problem.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Spinner wrote:

    > Where did you get XP SP2 from?
    > It's still only a release candidate and should not have been
    > installed on a computer you intended to use in a non test environment.

    Doh! Sorry about that, it's a typo. I have SP1.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    koop wrote:

    >> I first thought it was
    >> heat to, but I don't think so anymore.
    >
    > Are you overclocked? If not, it could also be a problem with your
    > memory or power supply. Make sure memory is running at its rated BIOS
    > settings, and try running Memtest http://www.memtest.org/ overnight
    > with all tests enabled, that will rule in/out your memory. What
    > brand of Power Supply do you use, what wattage, and how many HD and
    > optical discs are you powering? The power from your wall could be
    > dirty and the PSU unable to clean the spikes, or unable to handle
    > peak load of your card and drives combined. Could be a million other
    > things, but these are the most common. Good luck.

    4HDs and 2 optical. Enermax 465W (it held up just fine with full load when I
    had 7 HDs + Optical in my machine.
    Been running memtest when I installed the ram and it passed fine (Ram is
    actually underclocked).
    As I said earlier everything esle works fine, both software and games, even
    att extreme load without any problems. It's just UT2004 that's affected and
    resets my machine.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Ari Rankum wrote:

    > Okay. Well, if it's doing insta-crash, it's almost surely a hardware
    > fault of some sort. Seems like you've already checked memory and
    > power. Has your entire experience with UT2004 been plagued by
    > instant reboots, or is this new?

    I just installed it so it's new, doesn't happend in UT GotY or any other
    game. BTW, it often happends before I even get in to the game, when I'm just
    in the options menu at the start looking over things.

    > I'd probably proceed with backing some things off in the BIOS to see
    > if the crashing stops. You may get lucky with some experiments and
    > develop some theories as to what's causing the problem.

    Hmm, question is if it's worth all the hassle since it's the only game
    giving me headaches. Although I love UT and want badly to try red Orchestra
    I dunno if I want all the problems as I also need stability for my system.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > What's the temperature of your graphics card GPU? Can you touch the
    > heatsink without burning your fingers? The silly little fans on those
    > cards don't hold up very long before the bearings seize up, and the
    > Radeon 9100 is pretty old...

    It's a old chip, but a new card and the fan is fine. I haven't physically
    checked the heat though.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > Been running memtest when I installed the ram and it passed fine (Ram
    > is actually underclocked).

    I suggest you run it again. Because your RAM was good when you bought
    it, doesn't mean it is still good.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > The Window event viewer shows nothing. Are UT supposed to keep log
    > files to? At least I can't find any...

    Yes, it does. It's called UT2004.log in your UT2004/System dir.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:31:43 +0200, "Thomas Andersson"
    <steiner@tifozi.net> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
    >points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine
    >(instant reset to post). I have no clue why this happends as all other
    >software and games runs just fine. Any suggestions on troubleshoting and
    >fixing this would be very welcome.
    >
    >System:
    >1024MB RAM
    >AMD 3000
    >WinXP Pro SP2
    >DX 9.0b
    >Radeon 9100
    >Catalyst 4.2
    >Unpatched UT
    >
    >TIA
    >Thomas

    From the description, I'd be willing to bet money it's your memory.
    If you've got 2 512's, try testing with a single stick.

    You could also try more relaxed memory timings or a slight voltage
    increase.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    >> The Window event viewer shows nothing. Are UT supposed to keep log
    >> files to? At least I can't find any...
    >
    > Yes, it does. It's called UT2004.log in your UT2004/System dir.

    Ah, found it, but it's empty... (so, not much help there).

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > Ah, found it, but it's empty... (so, not much help there).

    Hmm... all arrows point to flaky hardware. Or just general windoze
    stubbornness. I'd check your memory again, the temperature of your CPU
    and also your video card, and try another PSU.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Hmm... all arrows point to flaky hardware. Or just general windoze
    > stubbornness. I'd check your memory again, the temperature of your CPU
    > and also your video card, and try another PSU.

    Checked the temp in BIOS after a few crashes and the temp was just 40c so
    that's not the cause. Ran a bit of memtest and no errors (gonna do a longer
    run though). PSU values are good too.
    I tried switching from D3D to software rendering, but it still crashed
    (never have time to go through options even before crash).
    I ran the Benchmarking tool and that ran all the way through without any
    crashes though...

    I reay think that if it was bad hardware it would give me problems in other
    softwares as well, at least in other newer games.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Thomas Andersson" <steiner@tifozi.net> wrote:
    >I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
    >points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine

    It may have been to fix a BSOD, but others have reported fewer crashes
    after clearing the UT cache...

    --
    William Smith
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Folk wrote:

    > From the description, I'd be willing to bet money it's your memory.
    > If you've got 2 512's, try testing with a single stick.

    > You could also try more relaxed memory timings or a slight voltage
    > increase.

    Well, I've just run a 3h prime95 torture test without any warnings or
    errors. Timing is fairly relaxed as the mem is underclocked.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Folk wrote:
    >
    > > From the description, I'd be willing to bet money it's your memory.
    > > If you've got 2 512's, try testing with a single stick.
    >
    > > You could also try more relaxed memory timings or a slight voltage
    > > increase.
    >
    > Well, I've just run a 3h prime95 torture test without any warnings or
    > errors. Timing is fairly relaxed as the mem is underclocked.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Thomas

    Disable Fastwrites in the bios if it isn't.
    Can also try deleting your ut2004.ini and it will be rebuilt the
    next time you run the game and maybe get rid of the glitch.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Folk wrote:
    >

    >>From the description, I'd be willing to bet money it's your memory.
    >>If you've got 2 512's, try testing with a single stick.
    >

    >>You could also try more relaxed memory timings or a slight voltage
    >>increase.
    >

    > Well, I've just run a 3h prime95 torture test without any warnings or
    > errors. Timing is fairly relaxed as the mem is underclocked.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Thomas

    It may be time to remove, inspect the connections, and re-seat every
    component in the system: CPU, memory, power supply connectors, PCI
    cards, video, IDE cables.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Ari Rankum wrote:

    >> Well, I've just run a 3h prime95 torture test without any warnings or
    >> errors. Timing is fairly relaxed as the mem is underclocked.

    > It may be time to remove, inspect the connections, and re-seat every
    > component in the system: CPU, memory, power supply connectors, PCI
    > cards, video, IDE cables.

    To be honnest, although I wanna play UT, I won't do that, no single piece of
    hardware is worth all that hassle and everything else is running
    flawlessly...
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    LeeLoo wrote:

    >> Well, I've just run a 3h prime95 torture test without any warnings or
    >> errors. Timing is fairly relaxed as the mem is underclocked.
    >>
    > Disable Fastwrites in the bios if it isn't.
    > Can also try deleting your ut2004.ini and it will be rebuilt the
    > next time you run the game and maybe get rid of the glitch.

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >> I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at
    >> various points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my
    >> machine
    >
    > It may have been to fix a BSOD, but others have reported fewer crashes
    > after clearing the UT cache...

    Hmm, might eb wortha shot.
    One thing I wonder over though, how come the Benchmarking tool had no probbs
    running all the way through without crashing when just starting it up
    normaly will crash it.. odd...
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >

    >>>I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at
    >>>various points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my
    >>>machine
    >>
    >>It may have been to fix a BSOD, but others have reported fewer crashes
    >>after clearing the UT cache...
    >

    > Hmm, might eb wortha shot.
    > One thing I wonder over though, how come the Benchmarking tool had no probbs
    > running all the way through without crashing when just starting it up
    > normaly will crash it.. odd...

    benchmarking tool uses its own .ini, which tells us..?

    ;) you guessed it.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    u told that u use xp SP2 - SP2 is still beta and known as still having
    bugs...
    my xp SP1 with ut2k4 worx
    hth
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Klaus Bregel wrote:

    > u told that u use xp SP2 - SP2 is still beta and known as still having
    > bugs...my xp SP1 with ut2k4 worx

    That was a typo which I explained quite early in the thread.
    Just ran a 5h memtest86 test and no errors too.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thomas Andersson enlightened us with:
    > I tried switching from D3D to software rendering, but it still crashed
    > (never have time to go through options even before crash).

    Then edit the configuration file by hand. Our FAQ has info on how to do
    this - it's the same for UT2k4 as for UT2k3.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:10:04 -0400, wrote:

    > "Thomas Andersson" <steiner@tifozi.net> wrote:
    >>I have a problem with UR2k4 here in that whenever I run it (at various
    >>points, but always fairly soon after starting) it crashes my machine
    >
    > It may have been to fix a BSOD, but others have reported fewer crashes
    > after clearing the UT cache...

    I've heard rumors that the patch 3204 introduced some problems for Windows
    XP users. I think there's a mention to that effect in the new (upcomming)
    patch's Changelog...

    That said; a buddy of mine was going through all kinds of trouble
    with UT2004 crashing all over the place. (predictably in ONS-Primeval)

    We finally tracked it down to his graphics card going out. Swapped it out
    for an old GeFrorce 440MX I had laying around and the crashing stopped.
    (He too was getting thrown all the way back to the POST). His frame
    rates aren't as good as they used to be with his GF4-Ti4200, but... at
    least he's not rebooting anymore... He's using the 440MX as a holding
    pattern until he can get his hands on a GF6800-Ultra.

    Another buddy of mine had some GPF's or crash-to-desktops in UT2004, he
    re-installed XP SP1a, DirectX, video drivers, and then UT2004, then
    patches, then CBP2 vol1&2. That finally fixed it for him. He's said
    before though that his system was getting flakey anyway and that it was
    overdue for a Windows re-install anyway...

    I've been plunking away happily on my linux box. Ever since patch 3204
    for linux came out, no more crashes. None.

Games Video Games