sony vaio f630

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need some help. I have a sony vaio f630 model which came with a
fujitsu 12gb hard drive. I have purchase a 40gb toshiba hard drive. I
have tried everything in regards to partition the HD. Win9x, winme,
win2k and even linux but for whatever reason I can not get it to
partition. Am I missing something? The sony web site didn't help. Any
help would be appreciated.

warpman999@netscape.net wrote:
> I need some help. I have a sony vaio f630 model which came with a
> fujitsu 12gb hard drive. I have purchase a 40gb toshiba hard drive. I
> have tried everything in regards to partition the HD. Win9x, winme,
> win2k and even linux but for whatever reason I can not get it to
> partition. Am I missing something? The sony web site didn't help. Any
> help would be appreciated.

Was the old drive password protected in BIOS?

OK... now my question is have any of you upgraded the hard drive on
this type and model laptop? If so, which make and model hard drive did
you use?

Well, I wen to the website try to post but it ask me to register but
the registration costs some money which I don't want to pay. Thanks
again for the info.

"warpman" <warpman999@netscape.net> wrote in message
| Well, I wen to the website try to post but it ask me to register but
| the registration costs some money which I don't want to pay. Thanks
| again for the info.

Hi warpman -

VAIO Village (and their host) would like you to pay... but it is optional.
You can get past the subscription requirement easily and access the site for
free. You'll be pestered periodically with offers from their "partners" in
the form of a screen which, in tiny print at the bottom, you can say "Sorry,
no thanks." You'll also be limited in your daily traffic on the site if you
don't subscribe.

Jef

Jef Norton wrote:
> "warpman" <warpman999@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Well, I wen to the website try to post but it ask me to register but
>> the registration costs some money which I don't want to pay. Thanks
>> again for the info.
>>

> Hi warpman -
>
> VAIO Village (and their host) would like you to pay... but it is
> optional. You can get past the subscription requirement easily and
> access the site for free. You'll be pestered periodically with
> offers from their "partners" in the form of a screen which, in tiny
> print at the bottom, you can say "Sorry, no thanks." You'll also be
> limited in your daily traffic on the site if you don't subscribe.
>
> Jef

I have never been asked to pay for registering - maybe that's
grandfathered in for older registrations. OTOH, that possibly explains
why the postings are falling off drastically.

| I have never been asked to pay for registering - maybe that's
| grandfathered in for older registrations. OTOH, that possibly explains
| why the postings are falling off drastically.

Hi Q -

There's two tabs on their page where they have you sign up.

The first is to Register for a Global Account on ezboard. The second, which
is where the bucks come into play, is Subscribe.

I had to sign off my own user name to see the state of current sign-up
affairs and there is absolutely no requirement for payment to access the
Vaio Village forum.

Jef

Thanks Jeff... I got my laptop to work. The problem appears to be with
the BIOS limitations on the HD. I talked to the people who sold me the
toshiba 40gb hd and the sent me a fujitsu 20gb and that work! I'm just
going to stick with the 20 gb hd for now. Thanks so much for your help!

| Thanks Jeff... I got my laptop to work. The problem appears to be with
| the BIOS limitations on the HD. I talked to the people who sold me the
| toshiba 40gb hd and the sent me a fujitsu 20gb and that work! I'm just
| going to stick with the 20 gb hd for now. Thanks so much for your help!

Not that I helped with the hard disk problem.... but VAIO Village is an
otherwise excellent resource.

You got 'bit' with the last IDE limitation, prior to the 48-bit LBA upgrade,
which gave us the ability to address IDE drives in excess of ~137GB.

The previous limitation was ~32GB. Apparently your BIOS is from prior to
that barrier being broken. If Sony were interested (never say never, but
I'd say never, knowing Sony), a BIOS upgrade would fix the problem.

In the meantime, enjoy your new hard drive.

If you ever need to go beyond the 32GB limitation of your BIOS, many hard
drive manufacturers have overlay software solutions available on their
websites that will allow you to support up to about 136GB.

Jef