Save Desktop/ Icons....?

Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.

Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.

sorry for going on.

Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be re-instated in
case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about save desktop icons

    Andrew wrote:
    > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    >
    > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    >
    > sorry for going on.
    >
    > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be
    > re-instated in case such a thing happens again (Without warning).

    Not without using a third party application designed to remomber your icon
    positions - some video card drivers have this feature.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Desktop Layout is saved here...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eEyi5RxtFHA.1284@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Andrew <NoToSPAM@home> hunted and pecked:
    > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    >
    > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    >
    > sorry for going on.
    >
    > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be re-instated
    > in case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
    > TIA

    Cool, perhaps there is a file/registry setting that you can point me in the
    direction of so that I can write my own..?
    Thanx, Shenan
    A.

    "Andrew" <NoToSPAM@home> wrote in message
    > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    >
    > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    >
    > sorry for going on.
    >
    > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be re-instated
    > in
    > case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
    > TIA

    Try this for saving and restoring position of icons:
    Line 188 right side
    Add Save and Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

    Thankyou wes, had a preliminary figit with Reg, i.e. export key, move a few
    icons around desktop, then re-merge exported.
    no-difference even on desktop refresh. will try a few other things and keep
    you up to date.
    A.

    | Desktop Layout is saved here...
    |
    | HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop
    |
    | --
    | Hope this helps. Let us know.
    |
    | Wes
    | MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    |
    | In news:eEyi5RxtFHA.1284@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    | Andrew <NoToSPAM@home> hunted and pecked:
    | > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    | >
    | > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    | > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    | >
    | > sorry for going on.
    | >
    | > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be
    re-instated
    | > in case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
    | > TIA
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks Edwin, Great Script, Works Fine, Thx.
    shouldnt have that problem again.

    "Edwin" <Unknown@any.internet.com> wrote in message

    | "Andrew" <NoToSPAM@home> wrote in message
    | > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    | >
    | > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    | > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    | >
    | > sorry for going on.
    | >
    | > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be
    re-instated
    | > in
    | > case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
    | > TIA
    | >
    | Try this for saving and restoring position of icons:
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    | Line 188 right side
    | Add Save and Restore Desktop Layout to Menu
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome.
    Thanks for feedback.

    > Thanks Edwin, Great Script, Works Fine, Thx.
    > shouldnt have that problem again.
    >
    > "Edwin" <Unknown@any.internet.com> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Andrew" <NoToSPAM@home> wrote in message
    > | > Just Done A KB Article..! i Wish they would warn ya.
    > | >
    > | > Display Resolution changed & Icons/positions up the creek..!
    > | > Not the end of the world I hear you cry, but damn disappointing.
    > | >
    > | > sorry for going on.
    > | >
    > | > Is it possible to store Icon positions/ resolution etc. to be
    > re-instated
    > | > in
    > | > case such a thing happens again (Without warning).
    > | > TIA
    > | >
    > | Try this for saving and restoring position of icons:
    > | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > | Line 188 right side
    > | Add Save and Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

  8. Did a Google search on this topic and found this thread. I grabbed the zip file from kellys-korner, ran the vbs script successfully, but its not working for me. I have the two options on my desktop context menu, but the restore option does not work.

    Anyone know if this works on XP Pro SP2? If not, any other ideas how to save/restore desktop icons positions?

    Thanks!

Configuration Resolution Desktop Icons Windows XP