New Mini ITX project - not any time soon...Feed Back!

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello everyone, I was starting to 'wish list' up a new rig for LAN gaming. My current rig is a lil on the heavy side to be moving around much. I am in no rush to put this together, with all the new GPU/CPU lines coming very soon, but would like to get some friendly feed back on what I've got thus far. I have seen quite a few threads and other post with very similar builds but again, with the new stuff on its way; what should I be looking for in the next few months?

This is what I got so far:

Case: SilverStone SG07

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3

CPU: i5 760

RAM: G.Skill ECO

GPU: Gigabyte GTX470

For the HDD / OD / SDD I can figure that one out on my own.

As stated I am in no rush to build this, this is just the general idea I had. I really like that case, just not to sure on the PSU that comes with it, if anyone could comment on that. Any other ideas would be great, especially from some one that is keeping up with the new hardware coming out.

This LAN build is very similar to the build in my sig; I was just sticking with what I know...which isn't much...at all.

Solution

Well the 1156 ITX lineup is a pretty full lineup. The thing with ITX boards is the lack of space for the addition of "premium" features like SLI/CFX, extended power phases, etc; so its pretty much limited to one product per company. With SB and the P67 chipset...

Timop

Distinguished
Expect SB-based setups around Q1/Q2 2011 and new GPUs from ATI (HD6000)and Nvidia (GTX400 refresh).
BD should also come out, but considering AMD Mobo manufactures, a decent ITX board would take quite a while to get released. Q4/2011 Q1/2012 would be my conservative guess.

Though personally I love SFF builds, ITX is more or less a novelty. Have you considered a mATX build with a case the SG02 or even a Nzxt Vulcan? Only a tad larger while giving you much more freedom in parts selection and much more mainstream pricing.

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
It did seem a little odd that there was only like 5 or 6 mini ITX mother boards on a newer socket. I haven't really looked into mATX yet, I just saw a video on that SG07 and it really caught my eye. I'm in no hurry to build this. I kinda want to wait for the new round of goodness.

I think just having a tiny mobo with a beefy GPU is hilarious. I would hope that with the SB relesse that there are new mobos and the companies see that there is a market for the ITX platform.

Timop

Distinguished

Well the 1156 ITX lineup is a pretty full lineup. The thing with ITX boards is the lack of space for the addition of "premium" features like SLI/CFX, extended power phases, etc; so its pretty much limited to one product per company. With SB and the P67 chipset, don't expect anything extra, other than the CPU's architecture, there isn't much change to the chipset side beyond than a improved IGP, which doesn't benefit you at all.

Like previously stated the ITX market is pretty dim in the next year after SB/P67 and perhaps a wave of Llano products of AMD. It is mostly used for HTPC after all. Both X58 (and probably its sucessor) and AM3/+ have large NB chipsets that takes up quite a chunk of space. The ASUS AM3 ITX was forced to use SO-DIMMs because of this fact.

Solution

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I was looking through the mATX options for AMD but I really don't need a 6core and all the MOBOs look fugly. My needs right now don't really call for the extra RAM either. I also wanted to try a different company then Asus.

Well I'm pretty buzzed and need to go to bed.