Best (value) 5850 card

azurel

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi. Which of these 5850's is the best value-for-money card and which is the most reliable? In other words, is it worth it to get the OC'd versions?

Thanks.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $290-310)[no rebates]

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming at full settings

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: intended Powersupply Corsair 750TX

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (e.g., 955BE/965BE, Gigabtye GA 890GPA UD3H, G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, air cooled, case CM 690 PURE

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NONE

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI CARDS HD5850

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (future upgrade path)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: card brand with highest reliability, best value-for money

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPUs being considered:

XFX 5850 (vanilla)- ($296)
Powercolor (Vanilla) ($293)
Powercolor PCS+ ($304)**
MSI MSI Twin Frozr II ($329)**
Sapphire 5850 (vanilla): ($304)
Sapphire 5850 Vapor-X ($333)

Solution
I'd go with the MSi Twin Fozr II out of that bunch. About 10% more than the XFX however although I haven't seen charts I expect the Twin Fozr will have 10% more FPS atleast with it being OC'd.

Otherwise Pick the XFX 5850 if you going stock, and if the MSi is out of stock pick a Sapphire 5850 Vapor-X

If you wait a month the prices will come down a fair amount due to the 6xxx series being released also.
XFX value is in the warranty, MSI would be in the cooling solution and overclock ability and so on. The only ones I would not buy is the powercolor.
Most of the time you get a better and quieter cooling solution with the overclocked cards but it is user specific if it is worth the extra money.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'd go with the MSi Twin Fozr II out of that bunch. About 10% more than the XFX however although I haven't seen charts I expect the Twin Fozr will have 10% more FPS atleast with it being OC'd.

Otherwise Pick the XFX 5850 if you going stock, and if the MSi is out of stock pick a Sapphire 5850 Vapor-X

If you wait a month the prices will come down a fair amount due to the 6xxx series being released also.

Solution
Usually the powercolor brand is a budget brand but the prices you posted are not much cheaper than the others. Their cooling solution look and feel more cheaply made and therefore should be noticeable cheaper than the other brands.
I have had 2 Powercolor cards before and they worked fine but both where bought because there was noticeable savings over other brands.