Sign in with
Your question

Dirk Meyer Resigns from AMD

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:40:28 AM

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-appts-se...

Nobody would have predicted this and all of the major players are still scratching their (mostly balding) heads over this one ... even Charlie and Fuad didn't predict this with their crystal balls.

Dirk, well regarded as one of the technical elite in the industry, was previously responsible for bringing the Opteron Server CPU project to light, and as CEO he steered the company through the tough times after the ATI aquisition (causing a massive cash and debt crisis for the company) and during the GFC (shedding the FAB side of the business with its high ongoing upgrade costs).

Dirk has also been largely responsible for encouraging a number of new intiatives like Fusion and the yet to be released Bulldozer architecture.

I wish Dirk all of the best with his future endeavours, and sadly the company (like most) will probably be now run by a bean counter with a flashy MBA courtesy of a cereal packet.

It's sad when tech companies don't have engineers at the top as it means their presentations are boring to watch and listen to ... but the PowerPoint usually has more animation going on to compensate.

More about : dirk meyer resigns amd

a c 78 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 1:56:31 AM

It will be interesting overtime to find out why he has stepped down, special right after the release of Sandy Bridge CPU. One could jump to the conclusion that he jumped shipped over the SB performance compared to the let released Bulldozer... :) 

Or... He could just want to retire and spend time with the Grandkids??
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:09:50 AM

People will get ideas, and theories will circulate. I wish him the best.

I think he has stepped down now because Bulldozer an Fusion have entered their last steps. Now it is off to fabrication. He has done much for AMD, he probably wants someone to else to lead the industry to a new level.

Happy retirement Mr. Meyer.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:11:05 AM

Well his reputation has been stellar given the mess he had to step in and sort out, and he hasn't lived the playboy life of Jerry ... so I'd say there are probably a lot of Tech company CEO's trembling in their boots at this news ... as their boards are likely to take a second look now.

HP and Nokia come to mind ...

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:21:28 AM

...why?

I understand he has a good name in the IT world, but why fear loosing him. He could give pointers to the noob that will follow him...unless they pick a good minded person who cares about the consumer and the company/employees value. I am pretty sure Dirk will have a say who will be next in line.

It would be pretty sweet to be President and CEO of AMD.
a c 78 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:28:26 AM

It is not fear of lossing him, but the fear he may take other CEO's job at places like HP. For those CED's,they would now be out of work :( 
January 11, 2011 2:31:11 AM

It will be rather interesting to see how this will work out as far as Bulldozer goes.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:15:22 AM

I hope whoever replaces him won't run down the joint and make AMD the next VIA.

Won't it be funny if we made a petition for JF-AMD to be promoted to CEO.

He's pretty smart. Rather have a pretty smart guy run the company.

Whatever happens they'd better not stop making Semprons. I <3 Semprons.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:19:18 AM

amdfangirl said:

It won't. I bet the AMD Administration would have the next guy out in a heartbeat.

As for John,( if that is his name), I would like to see what he has to say to that :D 

Semprons are great for the average user. I prefer Phenoms myslef.
a c 448 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:34:40 AM

Based on a fragment of The Wall Street Journal article, Dirk Meyer was forced to resign.

Quote:
The Sunnyvale, Calif., company said Monday that Mr. Meyer had resigned. But people familiar with the situation said the move reflected pressure from the company's board, which concluded that he was not moving quickly enough to improve AMD's position in markets such as server systems and tablet computers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703779704...

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the WSJ so I can't get full story.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:35:17 AM

Semprons don't cut it any more, even a Pentium 4 is better.
January 11, 2011 3:54:29 AM

Semprons don't cut it any more, even a Pentium 4 is better. said:
Semprons don't cut it any more, even a Pentium 4 is better.

are you talking about the am3 semprons or the 1st gen ones?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:56:10 AM

wh3resmycar said:
are you talking about the am3 semprons or the 1st gen ones?

1st gen. Many people still have those CPUs in their PCs.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:01:05 AM

amdfangirl said:

We should leave JF out of this as it would put him in a difficult position - as would starting a petition for him as the CEO.

We are lucky to have him post in our forums and I don't want to lose that either.

I do however agree with your sentiments AFG !!

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:31:59 AM

You don't know that. And quit assuming. Remember: dont make an ASS out of U M E.

Who knows. Bulldozer might roundhouse kick SB in the face.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:13:29 PM

dogman_1234 said:
It would be pretty sweet to be President and CEO of AMD.

Yep - far, far better than CEO of Canis Poopus Universal Semiconductors :D ..
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 3:24:50 PM

As mentioned in another thread, Anand Lal Shimpi (wonder if he ever considered changing that name? :p ) speculates it's because Meyer wouldn't agree to a sale of AMD to ATIC, who already owns something like 15% of AMD IIRC. I sorta wonder about that, including the fact that I believe such a sale would require FTC approval as AMD is a high-tech company (despite rumours to the contrary :D ).

It could be that under Meyer AMD hasn't made sufficient progress against Intel. However it has only been what - 2 years? - since Ruiz left. Methinks this could bode ill news for the quarterly report due out next week.

Could also be a disagreement over the direction Meyer wants to take AMD, vs. the BoD's perspective. If this is true, then I imagine there is a pretty large difference, such as Meyer continuing to view AMD as primarily a CPU company vs. a GPU company..
a c 448 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:12:14 PM

Dirk Meyer was forced to resign due to difference in opinion of AMD's direction.

Proponents for Dirk Meyer will basically say he took an ailing company and was able to re-invigorate it during his short tenure as CEO. This was reflected in the stock price which was basically going for around $2 (November 2008) to around $9 before he was ousted; it actually peaked at around $10 during his tenure(December 2009, May 2010). Many analysts would say that is phenomenal that a stock would increase roughly 500% in just 13 months. Under his tenure the graphics division has performed very well especially when the Radeon HD 5xxx series was released. Additionally, I believe AMD improved the overall production cycle of CPUs, thus missing less product roll-outs than they did in the past. More importantly AMD was saddled with a huge amount of debt when Meyer took over and was loosing money hand over fist. Spinning off the chip making foundries (now called Global Foundries) basically saved the company since AMD would no longer have to invest billions of dollar for improvements and upgrades.

However, the Board of Directors' gripes were many. AMD only has 20% of the CPU market and revenues are only 1/7th of Intel's. Additionally, the focus of CES 2011 has been all about mobile pads and the future of mobile computing. Critics say AMD does not have a low power CPU to for these mobile devices, therefore AMD now need to do catchup in this arena. Additionally cloud computing is going to become huge especially with more mobile devices like the iPad and various clones. That means servers, but AMD server CPU sales are relatively weak compared to Intel's (whether it is a performance or perception issues I have no idea), therefore Intel's server market share is only going to increase which puts additional pressure on AMD. Mobile CPU chips are also weak compared to Intel; the greatest complaint being short battery life. I believe they also do not have a CPU chip for phones either.

As it stands now, it appears AMD now has issues regarding growth in the near term and long future and an uncertainly as to who the new CEO will be and what direction he or she will steer AMD towards. Needless to say, the AMD's stock has been selling off today.

a c 123 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:53:28 PM

jaguarskx said:
Dirk Meyer was forced to resign due to difference in opinion of AMD's direction.

Proponents for Dirk Meyer will basically say he took an ailing company and was able to re-invigorate it during his short tenure as CEO. This was reflected in the stock price which was basically going for around $2 (November 2008) to around $9 before he was ousted; it actually peaked at around $10 during his tenure(December 2009, May 2010). Many analysts would say that is phenomenal that a stock would increase roughly 500% in just 13 months. Under his tenure the graphics division has performed very well especially when the Radeon HD 5xxx series was released. Additionally, I believe AMD improved the overall production cycle of CPUs, thus missing less product roll-outs than they did in the past. More importantly AMD was saddled with a huge amount of debt when Meyer took over and was loosing money hand over fist. Spinning off the chip making foundries (now called Global Foundries) basically saved the company since AMD would no longer have to invest billions of dollar for improvements and upgrades.

However, the Board of Directors' gripes were many. AMD only has 20% of the CPU market and revenues are only 1/7th of Intel's. Additionally, the focus of CES 2011 has been all about mobile pads and the future of mobile computing. Critics say AMD does not have a low power CPU to for these mobile devices, therefore AMD now need to do catchup in this arena. Additionally cloud computing is going to become huge especially with more mobile devices like the iPad and various clones. That means servers, but AMD server CPU sales are relatively weak compared to Intel's (whether it is a performance or perception issues I have no idea), therefore Intel's server market share is only going to increase which puts additional pressure on AMD. Mobile CPU chips are also weak compared to Intel; the greatest complaint being short battery life. I believe they also do not have a CPU chip for phones either.

As it stands now, it appears AMD now has issues regarding growth in the near term and long future and an uncertainly as to who the new CEO will be and what direction he or she will steer AMD towards. Needless to say, the AMD's stock has been selling off today.

My thoughts are that the BoD will slowly but surley regret the deision. Dirk took over a fast sinking ahip. In fact it was pretty much the Titantic at the time. No hope. But he somehow took reign, patched it up and got it moving on the right track again. I was impressed how well he executed AMD to the point of almost becoming profitable quarterly.

I guess the BoD wants someone more like Ruiz who takes the wrong fork in the road at the wrong time or pretty much brings a company to near death.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:02:38 PM

Wait if AMD was like Titanic, wouldn't it be a box office sellout :p ...

Me and my crazy ideas...
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:06:23 PM

Quote:
I said this on another forum. BD Es chips have been in the hands of testers for a month and there have been no leaks whatsoever. When SB ES were out there were leaks EVERYWHERE.

Why wouldn't you leak a benchmark if it's THAT great? I want BD to be great but i think it'll be as fast as Bloomfield if that.

AMD wants this to be a secret. If you had something that you didn't wan your competitors to know about, keep it behind closed doors. That doesn't mean that BD is a flop.

I hate Intel/AMD Fans so much. Pisses me off to hear the quarreling. Can't we all say BOTH have their Pros and Cons please?

fazers_on_stun said:
Yep - far, far better than CEO of Canis Poopus Universal Semiconductors :D ..

I take it you are not a CLT Fanboy? :D 

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:09:02 PM

jimmysmitty said:

I guess the BoD wants someone more like Ruiz who takes the wrong fork in the road at the wrong time or pretty much brings a company to near death.

I don't care if I am not an engineer nor a business major! I should SHOULD become the CEO over there and have Dirk as my counselor to the Board. Pretty much have someone who know what they are talking about and someone who will get the BoD to get their heads out of their...
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:10:10 PM

I suspect the BoD considers Meyer (who was handpicked by Ruiz as his successor) as a continuation of Ruiz. Under the two of them, AMD went from something like 25% marketshare in the very lucrative server segment to something like 5% today. They also engineered the ATI buyout and the GF spinoff (which was necessitated because of the $5.3B spent on the ATI buyout). Now whether either of those decisions was the correct one (i.e., AMD starts making some serious profits) remains to be seen.

IIRC AMD remains GF's sole customer for 32nm HKMG on SOI process, so the idea of amortizing the R&D costs across many customers falls short of what it would if they actually had other customers for that particular process. I would not be surprised if AMD's contract with GF guarantees a certain range of wafer spins per month, so if no other customers then AMD would have to pay GF a higher price unless they can start selling more CPUs.

There's speculation on other forums that it was the ATI "progressives" who finally won out with BoD backing, over the AMD "conservatives". So if true, I expect AMD to start changing direction soon, such as concentrating on graphics & low-power "fusion" CPUs at the expense of the higher-end product line.

IOW, Bulldozer and Llano might be short-lived products. In essence, even though AMD paid all that $$ for ATI, it would seem that ATI acquired AMD instead..
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:12:52 PM

If that is the case fasers, then AMD needs to clear out the 'lobbyists' form the BoD and check everyone in the Administration form AMD. If ATI has influence in AMD, I feel that ATI will bud out form AMD...like a virus budding from a cell after the lytic cycle.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:13:27 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I take it you are not a CLT Fanboy? :D 

AFAIK, CEO of CLT is an unpaid volunteer position, whereas CEO of AMD (at least under Ruiz) was something like $15M a year guaranteed, whether AMD made a profit or lost $1.2B :p ...
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:14:59 PM

15 mil. I would only take about 5 mill. All I need is enough to pay for my kids' college the house and any other expenses. Oh, and funds for church services.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:15:47 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
AFAIK, CEO of CLT is an unpaid volunteer position...

Hang on Fazers, I think you are on to something!
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:16:12 PM

dogman_1234 said:
If that is the case fasers, then AMD needs to clear out the 'lobbyists' form the BoD and check everyone in the Administration form AMD. If ATI has influence in AMD, I feel that ATI will bud out form AMD...like a virus budding from a cell after the lytic cycle.

Well the Board of Directors is like the football team front office (i.e., selected by the owner to manage & direct the team), whereas the CEO is merely the coach. The stockholders would be the "owners" here..
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:17:37 PM

And the Owners, should have a say on what should be done with Meyer, Bulldozer and Fusion. Only for all good intention.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:19:16 PM

dogman_1234 said:
15 mil. I would only take about 5 mill. All I need is enough to pay for my kids' college the house and any other expenses. Oh, and funds for church services.

?? I thought you were only 17 yrs old or something. Or maybe I'm recalling what Upendra said..
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:21:39 PM

:whistle: 
a c 123 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:40:49 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
I suspect the BoD considers Meyer (who was handpicked by Ruiz as his successor) as a continuation of Ruiz. Under the two of them, AMD went from something like 25% marketshare in the very lucrative server segment to something like 5% today. They also engineered the ATI buyout and the GF spinoff (which was necessitated because of the $5.3B spent on the ATI buyout). Now whether either of those decisions was the correct one (i.e., AMD starts making some serious profits) remains to be seen.

IIRC AMD remains GF's sole customer for 32nm HKMG on SOI process, so the idea of amortizing the R&D costs across many customers falls short of what it would if they actually had other customers for that particular process. I would not be surprised if AMD's contract with GF guarantees a certain range of wafer spins per month, so if no other customers then AMD would have to pay GF a higher price unless they can start selling more CPUs.

There's speculation on other forums that it was the ATI "progressives" who finally won out with BoD backing, over the AMD "conservatives". So if true, I expect AMD to start changing direction soon, such as concentrating on graphics & low-power "fusion" CPUs at the expense of the higher-end product line.

IOW, Bulldozer and Llano might be short-lived products. In essence, even though AMD paid all that $$ for ATI, it would seem that ATI acquired AMD instead..

I wouldn't be suprised if ATI was the more progressive side. I mean hell, they pushed for a 512bit ring bus, moved to SP units before nVidia and pushed GDDR5 wellbefore nVidia. I think thats why I always liked them over nVidia. That and they used to have awesome drivers. Now its kinda ok, much like nVidia really. In fact Far Cry 2 runs great unless pushed for a long time, then it will crash. Have tried a lot of different drivers but meh.

I guess we will see if it is a good idea or not. I mean I thought Dirk was doing good. We shall see.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:58:23 PM

Didn't a bunch of the uppermost management of ATI resign within a year of the buyout? So there obviously was some friction in assimilating the company. I'd bet that the next tier of management decided to lay low and subvert the combined company from within. Of course, the recent success of the graphics division meant their stock would rise (in both senses of the word :p ). It will be interesting indeed if the next CEO comes from the ATI side of the family..
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 9:24:56 PM

I for one would love to see Dirk become CEO of HP. HP recently lost a very good CEO and is definitely in need. I am an Intel fan to the core, but my opinion of Dirk has always been high.
January 11, 2011 9:36:30 PM

It's an unpopular move even if it was needed - a bit like ATI becoming AMD.

I would guess Rick Bergman is favourite for the job.
January 11, 2011 11:08:51 PM

I hope the people who thought he left because "bulldozer is a flop" were joking... If those guys read up on any of this you'd realize he was kind of forced to resign. In one source it sounded like they wanted a more opportunistic CEO in the advent of new and potentially successful products like Fusion and BD.

Source: http://www.seattlepi.com/business/1310ap_us_amd_ceo.htm...
I think that was it. If not just look at the article in Google Finance after searching AMD
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 11:21:20 AM

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:AMD

Share prices says it all.

The market is VERY unhappy with the decision.

10% drop in shars in 20hrs ... three large selloffs.

Hopefully Dirk sold his shares last week.

I can't recall one person having that much damage in the tech industry over a resignation / firing ... 10% of a tech comany with a market cap of 5.7 Billion.

I bet the stockholders are looking to lynch someone in the board over this ... Claflin looks good ... maybe thats why Seifert says he does not intend to apply for the job (safer to be seen as the good guy who is just filling in to help ...).

Bergman would be the only internal candidate the industry would likely support too.
a c 448 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 12:08:02 PM

Quote:
Its back to 4usd now. Looks like you won't be able to buy that Jaquar after all now lol

"Jaguar" doesn't refer to the car, but the large cat itself.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:30:15 PM

AMD's Board of Directors:

Quote:
"The board believes we have the opportunity to create increased shareholder value over time," Claflin said. "This will require the company to have significant growth, establish market leadership and generate superior financial returns. We believe a change in leadership at this time will accelerate the company's ability to accomplish these objectives."

So to sum up, Meyer got fired because he (as Ruiz's protege) failed to grow the company, overtake Intel and - probably most important - generate profits. In particular, since the third quarter of 2006, AMD has had only one profitable quarter I believe. IIRC, Meyer promised a return to profitability by the end of 2010. So my guess is that the Q4 report due out in 8 days will not show any substantial profit.

Maybe the BoD decision has something to do with the fact that both Bobcat and Bulldozer got canceled at one time (disappeared off the roadmaps), and hence are pretty delayed from the original announcements. Also, the fact that Magny-Cours did little or nothing to improve AMD's server marketshare probably did not help. However, since this year will see 3 new designs (Bobcat, Llano & BD), why did the BoD pull the plug on Meyer now? I would have waited until the end of this year to see if these products make a turnaround for AMD in one or more of the growth, leadership and profit areas that the BoD expressed concern about...
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:33:16 PM

They may see disaster down the road for AMD if Meyer was still there. IMHO, I think they should of kept him 18 months...that is when the Market is SUPPOSED to go into its natural circadian rhythm.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:45:51 PM

dogman_1234 said:
They may see disaster down the road for AMD if Meyer was still there. IMHO, I think they should of kept him 18 months...that is when the Market is SUPPOSED to go into its natural circadian rhythm.

Are you browsing THG while you're SUPPOSED to be doing your homework?? :p 

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 7:48:26 PM

I got a good chuckle out of the "AMD is doomed" BS again.

I'm not calling anyone out, but I keep hearing people say that he got fired over how well SB performs.

Yep AMD NEVER could have guessed that a new processor line from Intel would be slightly faster than the previous ones clock for clock and would have higher stock clocks on a smaller node. Yeah, how could AMD have seen that one? SB is SUCH a shocker!

Jaguar has it as usual, it was just a difference in opinions when it comes to the direction of the company.

As for no leaked performance of BD, I say calm the hell down. Maybe they aren't showing any benches because of how amazing they perform? AMD seems to like to release their heavy hitting products as a surprise (ATI 4xxx/5xxx anyone?). Assumptions are always foolish.
a c 123 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 8:00:14 PM

dogman_1234 said:

Or if they get a CEO who isn't familiar with technology they may see the same thing as Apple once did: A dead end. They got the CEO from Pepsi who almost killed Apple off.

I still think the BoD might regret it.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 8:32:59 PM

...thet will.

Hey, lte's have amdfangirl start another " is amd doomed'' thread!
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 12:27:59 PM

RetiredChief said:
Don't think the problem was so much the Computer market as it was the Mobile market. Looks like Both Intel and AMD are behind the power curve

Real good read:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-problems-not-over...

I agree, that is a pretty good analysis and theory. However tablet and cellphone CPUs are at the shallowest end of the profit pool - doesn't Intel get something like $10 profit for each Atom sold? That's a signficant reason why Intel has been kinda ambivalent about Atom, IMHO - they don't want to cannibalize the much more profitable notebook market. If Intel was really serious about Atom, they would have ported it to 32nm and later this year 22nm, instead of farming it out on TSMC's 40nm process. I imagine they could still do that however - a 4-core Atom with 24 EU's GPU on 22nm would probably use less power than the current 2-core with an old IGP.

I think Meyer & company did a similar analysis (which could be why Bobcat disappeared for a while), and decided to focus on retaking the hugely profitable server marketshare from Intel. And I don't think they got serious again about Bobcat until that $1.25B payout from Intel some 13 months ago..

AMD also needs to bring Llano forward ASAP, as Sandy Bridge is likely to further erode their marketshare in the mid to high-end notebook market.
a c 96 à CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:12:01 PM

I don't know ... and from the supposition around here, no one else does, either :lol: 

BUT ... I think this is headed in the right direction but is still typical analyst BS:

RetiredChief said:
Don't think the problem was so much the Computer market as it was the Mobile market. Looks like Both Intel and AMD are behind the power curve

Real good read:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-problems-not-over...

After months of pumping the Ontario/Brazos APUs, all we get at CES2011 is the Asus E35MI-I Deluxe and the Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 (and IIRC, a 'future' Lenovo netbook and Acer tablet).

I'd call that a 'Fail'.

I suppose the AMD Board felt the same way. Dirk should have been 'twisting the arms' of partners to bring product to market -- from the looks of things (and the 'rumors' suggested by the above article) this was not a priority.

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 7:39:31 PM

Quote:
Intel Reports Record Year and Record Fourth Quarter

Intel Corporation today reported full-year revenue of $43.6 billion, operating income of $15.9 billion, net income of $11.7 billion, and EPS of $2.05 – all records. The company generated approximately $16.7 billion in cash from operations, paid cash dividends of $3.5 billion, and used $1.5 billion to repurchase 70 million shares of common stock.

For the fourth-quarter, Intel posted revenue of $11.5 billion. The company reported fourth-quarter operating income of $4.3 billion, net income of $3.4 billion, and EPS of 59 cents. Fourth-quarter revenue, operating income, net income, and EPS were also all records.

“2010 was the best year in Intel’s history. We believe that 2011 will be even better,” said Paul Otellini, Intel president and CEO.

Also looks like server revenue jumped way, way up. What happened with Magny Cours??

Although AMD won't report its Q4 results until a week from now, I'd bet a nickle they won't be as impressive as Intel's :p ..
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 7:44:18 PM

I hope John is doing okay. Really would be a bummer for him to release info that AMD had a net loss on the Server side. Of course, it didn't seem that MC was very popular...but, what do I know. I am not in the server market, nor am I in business.
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 1:27:58 AM

I think AMD will likely post another loss.

They have not yet cleared all of their debt - senior notes etc.

Still dropping after Monday's surprise sacking of Dirk ... just over 10% wiped in 4 days.

Unusual volumes of stock being traded too ...
!