Sign in with
Your question

Bootup Problem, No Beeps During Post

Last response: in Motherboards
September 10, 2011 2:24:23 PM

Hi,

I've been looking over the forums and having no luck with any of the methods I've tried so far. My pc currently can power up but cannot boot.

I've tried resetting the CMOS battery, checked all the connections, swapped out RAM, no difference. I removed all RAM from the MB and it gave me 5 consecutive beeps, pauses, then repeats, which I've read means a CPU error? I've also read that it'll beep when there is no RAM installed so it's a sign of a healthy CPU/MB so I'm a little confused as to what the culprit is. Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated.

The system is a stock HP 6005 Pro
AMD Phenom II X4 B95 Processor
4 GB of DDR3 RAM, 2 DIMMs

ps. i've tried using only 1 DIMM but it gives me the same no beep, no boot condition.
September 10, 2011 3:02:25 PM

Your 5 beeps are normal for your condition of no DIMMs in. 5 beeps means you have no RAM installed as per this HP guide on their support page: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01870980/c01870980.pdf. I would see if this guide can help you based on any error codes you may be getting. Some motherboards have an LED display that give you a number which you can reference in the above guide. Also, check this support page for advisories for your product. See if any of the descriptions matches your issue.

If you don't see anything there, tell us more about what happens when it does not boot. Is there an error screen? Is it black, blue, or blank? What messages if any are displayed on the screen?

One more guide for you: An illustrated parts and service map
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:07:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

With RAM installed: Continuous green LED on / no beeps / does not boot, no signal to display.

Without RAM installed: Red flashing LED / 5 beeps with 5 red blinks, matches the guide description for RAM issues like you mentioned.

The weird thing is I've swapped out several different HP OEM DDR3 DIMMs from other 6000 series dekstops and they all give me the same green light / no beep / no boot condition on this PC....could it be a motherboard issue? But would it beep like that then w/o the ram if the motherboard is bad?

QuickdrawMcGraw said:
Your 5 beeps are normal for your condition of no DIMMs in. 5 beeps means you have no RAM installed as per this HP guide on their support page: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01870980/c01870980.pdf. I would see if this guide can help you based on any error codes you may be getting. Some motherboards have an LED display that give you a number which you can reference in the above guide. Also, check this support page for advisories for your product. See if any of the descriptions matches your issue.

If you don't see anything there, tell us more about what happens when it does not boot. Is there an error screen? Is it black, blue, or blank? What messages if any are displayed on the screen?

One more guide for you: An illustrated parts and service map

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2011 4:08:16 PM

try swapping in a known good PSU
m
l
September 11, 2011 7:09:43 PM

Ok, did some more work on this today, swapped out the PSU with an identical one from another 6005 unit, same issue, tested both PSUs on the other computer and they are both fine. Same deal with the CPU, and RAM. Does this mean the motherboard is done for then? Or is there something else I'm not getting? Thanks again for the help!

anonymous1 said:
try swapping in a known good PSU

m
l
August 10, 2012 5:39:21 AM

I've had the exact same issues that you have, and I feel it's the MOBO. So I'm in the process of having it replaced, because it will not post, I get no beeps, and the screen stays black. If you power the system on, it's like everything goes to sleep and stays that way (screen, hdd, external hdd, mouse, keyboard, etc.) Did you ever come up with anything about this machine?
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:02:19 AM

Yeah, it ended up being the motherboard and I had to get a new one. It sucked because it was not a custom PC so i had to look for old HP boards that matched the footprint in the housing. it was not fun.
m
l
!