Hey guys, quick question about upgrading

whirlwind3

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I am not quite sure if this post should go here, if it doesn't feel free to move it wherever it should be :p

But heres my question, last year my family bought a simple acer computer and my dad loves the civilization games, so for xmas I was going to buy Civ 5, but i realized that this computer doesn't have the minimum specs.

So I was just wondering if there is anything that I can do upgrade wise to this computer to be able to run Civ 5 for my father.

Heres my computer specs (Tell me if I need to add anything else information wise)

Manufacturer - Acer
Model - Aspire M1202
Processor - AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640 2.70 GHz
Memory (RAM) - 2.00GB
System type - 32-bit Vista
Video - ATI Radeon 2100 (i believe this is integrated)

and here are the minimum specs for civ 5

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

thanks again in advance, im just wondering basically if there are upgrades i could buy for this computer to allow my father to play Civ 5 -it would be a cool xmas present from me to him- :D

Timop

Distinguished
You would be better off buying/building him a new setup.
In order for that system to play Civ 5, a new CPU and GPU is needed, considering ACer, a PSU also.

It will be great if you can tell us a exact budget.

Timop

Distinguished
For that resolution, you *should* be able to play civ 5 on decent settings with just a dual-core CPU and a 4650/70.

With that build above though, you can even play Crysis on max fluently if you wanted to.

Heres a weaker build that should still satisfy your needs perfectly.