UT2004 and mIRC

Something really weird is happening, and It's related to UT2004 somehow but
I'm not sure exactly how it could be causing it... On the exact second I hit
exit and leave UT2004, my mIRC gives me a software caused connection abort
error and of course disconnects from any IRC chat I'm on... anyone ever had
this happen to them? Does anyone here even use mIRC?
23 answers Last reply
More about ut2004 mirc
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:44:35 -0500, Schism wrote:

    > Something really weird is happening, and It's related to UT2004 somehow but
    > I'm not sure exactly how it could be causing it... On the exact second I hit
    > exit and leave UT2004, my mIRC gives me a software caused connection abort
    > error and of course disconnects from any IRC chat I'm on... anyone ever had
    > this happen to them? Does anyone here even use mIRC?

    Anyone with any sense would not be running IRC (or any other app) while
    playing UT2004. Exit mIRC before playing, and that should solve it.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    ... Why not? Everyone I know leaves mIRC running when they game, plus I need
    my scripts to monitor the rooms.

    > Anyone with any sense would not be running IRC (or any other app) while

    That doesn't solve anything, my whole point is to play UT2004 while keeping
    mIRC running, which I can do with any game except UT2004 (only lately as
    well)

    > playing UT2004. Exit mIRC before playing, and that should solve it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:50:48 -0500, Schism wrote:

    > That doesn't solve anything, my whole point is to play UT2004 while keeping
    > mIRC running, which I can do with any game except UT2004 (only lately as
    > well)

    What's the point? Can you talk in mIRC while you're playing UT? Nope.
    So, just restart mIRC when you finish playing.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I've already told you my point, my scripts monitor the room and act as a
    bot.

    I leave mIRC running 24/7 whenever possible.

    > What's the point? Can you talk in mIRC while you're playing UT? Nope.
    > So, just restart mIRC when you finish playing.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Something really weird is happening, and It's related to UT2004 somehow but
    > I'm not sure exactly how it could be causing it... On the exact second I hit
    > exit and leave UT2004, my mIRC gives me a software caused connection abort
    > error and of course disconnects from any IRC chat I'm on... anyone ever had
    > this happen to them? Does anyone here even use mIRC?

    Blind guess, but still... The cause of this error might be on the local
    TCP/IP level, probably when you get the serverlisting from the
    masterserver and then ut2k4 polls the two or threehundred gameservers of
    the type you selected, these tcp/udp/icmp packets (don't know how
    exactly this works, too lazy to fire up ethereal now :P) might cause
    mIRC trouble but only shows up once UT2k4 exits.

    If you only poll the maybe 5-10 Favourites it should not happen, also
    the traffic of a ut2k4 game shouldn't kill the IRC connection.

    Maybe Reboot/Reinstall fixes the problem, is it a DOS or NT windows? -
    I'd guess the former in this case.

    Regards

    -Thomas, finding your "X-DMCA-Complaints-To: .."
    header bitterly ironic :>
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I'm on Windows XP Pro corp running from behind a router.

    > Maybe Reboot/Reinstall fixes the problem, is it a DOS or NT windows? -
    > I'd guess the former in this case.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:44:35 -0500, Schism wrote:
    >

    > Anyone with any sense would not be running IRC (or any other app) while
    > playing UT2004. Exit mIRC before playing, and that should solve it.

    I also keep irc runing when playing and have NEVER encountered a problem.
    Your comment makes no sense - irc is cpu light n bw light and is largely
    built into these games because of that.

    I personally use godirc- dont care what any so called experts think- it
    works fine - has many game related scripts which prove useful for clanners -
    especially CL's.

    Try it here : http://www.god-irc.tk/

    ---
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Thanks, but the main point is for me to run my scripts and act as a bot in
    the room, and I doubt godirc will run mIRC scripts...

    > I personally use godirc- dont care what any so called experts think- it
    > works fine - has many game related scripts which prove useful for
    clanners -
    > especially CL's.
    >
    > Try it here : http://www.god-irc.tk/
    >

    > ---

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:28:28 -0500, Schism wrote:

    > Thanks, but the main point is for me to run my scripts and act as a bot in
    > the room, and I doubt godirc will run mIRC scripts...

    Yeah, gotta have those scripts and bots. How lame.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Schism" <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but the main point is for me to run my scripts and act as a bot in
    > the room, and I doubt godirc will run mIRC scripts...
    >
    > > I personally use godirc- dont care what any so called experts think- it
    > > works fine - has many game related scripts which prove useful for
    > clanners -
    > > especially CL's.
    > >
    > > Try it here : http://www.god-irc.tk/

    The point i was making was that its a script heavy client - God-irc has many
    query functions - is easy to install - and doesnt have dropping connection
    probs for me - and then run 2k4 and TEST it.

    As to installing scripts...duh.. what do you think all those extra funtions
    are - you just add scripts in the remote console. Do you think you are the
    first to do this?? I have two pc's next to me - two different installs of
    godirc - none of which have problems. BTW - TCW and PA had a script rich
    clan bot in our irc channels 2-3 years ago - so we might just know something
    eh? Espec as we wrote it :)

    ---
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Explain the lameness.

    > Yeah, gotta have those scripts and bots. How lame.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Don't have a clue how to solve it, but it might have something to do with
    the built-in irc client in 2k4.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:57:18 -0500, Schism wrote:

    <stupid top-posting corrected>

    >> Yeah, gotta have those scripts and bots. How lame.

    > Explain the lameness.

    No, it would be a waste of time to try and explain to someone who doesn't
    know enough to not top-post.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:09:53 -0500, "Schism"
    <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote:

    >I'm on Windows XP Pro corp running from behind a router.
    >
    >> Maybe Reboot/Reinstall fixes the problem, is it a DOS or NT windows? -
    >> I'd guess the former in this case.

    You might try putting your machine on the DMZ and see if it still
    happens. it doesn't sound like a router problem, but it would be nice
    to eliminate it as a suspect. If you're also running a software
    firewall, id try the same with that.

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Sorry if I don't enjoy reading through text I've already read to see
    someones replies, much easier to put it on top, hell, even the Atari message
    boards do it this way.

    > No, it would be a waste of time to try and explain to someone who doesn't
    > know enough to not top-post.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:15:25 -0500, Schism wrote:

    > Sorry if I don't enjoy reading through text I've already read to see
    > someones replies, much easier to put it on top, hell, even the Atari message
    > boards do it this way.

    Oh! The Atari boards, huh?! Well, that must mean something! Not.

    Go away, you ignorant little twit.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    And what you say means something? I explained why I post that way, it's a
    personal preference which is none of your business, feel free to add all my
    messages to your message filter if you want.

    > Oh! The Atari boards, huh?! Well, that must mean something! Not.

    Ouch, some random person over the internet called me a name... watch me cry.

    > Go away, you ignorant little twit.

    I never did anything to you, why don't you just stop responding to anything
    I say?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:15:25 -0500, "Schism"
    <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote:

    >Sorry if I don't enjoy reading through text I've already read to see
    >someones replies, much easier to put it on top, hell, even the Atari message
    >boards do it this way.

    We are the ones who are sorry, we have to endure your selfishness.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Apology accepted.

    > We are the ones who are sorry, we have to endure your selfishness.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:47:00 -0500, "Schism"
    <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote:

    >Apology accepted.

    Thank $deity for killfiles, *plonk*.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:57:18 -0500, Schism wrote:
    >
    > <stupid top-posting corrected>
    >
    > >> Yeah, gotta have those scripts and bots. How lame.
    >
    > > Explain the lameness.
    >
    > No, it would be a waste of time to try and explain to someone who doesn't
    > know enough to not top-post.
    >
    > --
    > If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
    > Linux Registered User #327951

    i wouldnt bother schism- this is where the kings of this pond start getting
    picky and flaming the post to irrelevance. - i scan this occasionally - all
    the useful stuff is better explained and discussed on the atari forums. This
    place sometimes has something intresting but i wouldnt hold my breath - i
    just like seeing my opinions of some of the regulars confirmed :)

    i'll await the usual spam n viruses a comment seems to attract on here.....

    ViMeS

    ---
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Yeah, I go there often, but I figured this being USENET people would have a
    broader range of technology, more so than some of the people on the Atari
    forums anyways.

    > i wouldnt bother schism- this is where the kings of this pond start
    getting
    > picky and flaming the post to irrelevance. - i scan this occasionally -
    all
    > the useful stuff is better explained and discussed on the atari forums.
    This
    > place sometimes has something intresting but i wouldnt hold my breath - i
    > just like seeing my opinions of some of the regulars confirmed :
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Schism wrote:

    > Something really weird is happening, and It's related to UT2004
    > somehow but I'm not sure exactly how it could be causing it... On the
    > exact second I hit exit and leave UT2004, my mIRC gives me a software
    > caused connection abort error and of course disconnects from any IRC
    > chat I'm on... anyone ever had this happen to them? Does anyone here
    > even use mIRC?

    Have you tried leaving UT by typing "exit" on the console?

    Oli"just a thought"ver.

Games Video Games