Sign in with
Your question

Virus has made win7 unusable.

Last response: in Windows 7
November 13, 2011 12:55:29 PM

So here is my issue. Was given a laptop recently, Pavilion g4, it has win7 home premium 64. I have a virus that has made it so I cannot make backup restore discs, system restore or anything.

I was told to reformat my harddrive and fresh install win7 on there and that would correct the issue. But, no copy of win7 is in my possession.

Is there any way to repair this problem? Hp charges $ and as a student I cannot afford this right now.

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 1:03:29 PM

Eclipse56 said:
So here is my issue. Was given a laptop recently, Pavilion g4, it has win7 home premium 64. I have a virus that has made it so I cannot make backup restore discs, system restore or anything.

I was told to reformat my harddrive and fresh install win7 on there and that would correct the issue. But, no copy of win7 is in my possession.

Is there any way to repair this problem? Hp charges $ and as a student I cannot afford this right now.

Can you get into safemode ? If you can, choose (with networking) to give you internet capability. Run your antivirus scan. Download Malwarebytes free scanner and run that also. If infections detected & removed, see if it will boot normally and repeat all scans you did in safe mode. Hope this helps.
m
l
November 13, 2011 1:06:27 PM

cannot get into safe mode or anything. I had a fellow student look at it, and he said it looks like there is no OS at all now.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 1:27:09 PM

Eclipse56 said:
cannot get into safe mode or anything. I had a fellow student look at it, and he said it looks like there is no OS at all now.

You are obviously on a working computer, you could download and burn a Rescue CD and boot from that to get things started. The OS may be inoperable, but I doubt it is gone.

Other option is to hang that drive in another pc as secondary drive and scan for infections there. Provided you can get someone who will let you hang an infected drive in their system. :cry: 

That may remove some of the infections, but the drive will be likely treated as a huge flat file, ie registry & entry points of malware will not be detected, and therefore not be properly cleaned until inserted in original computer and scanned as primary.
m
l
November 13, 2011 1:28:11 PM

Very easy, Simply power up your laptop and press f11 key repeatedly, this will bring up the build in-hidden-restore partition.
Follow on screen notifications to overwrite your c disk and install all software. This should fix your problem as long you did not remove the hidden partition.

The virus you should have can not see it and can not access it, so it is impossible that virus not let you do this.
Furthermore with the f11 key, windows is not used so the virus don't work. HP use its own OS for restore the partition's.
m
l
November 13, 2011 1:55:57 PM

There is a Microsoft sticker at the bottom of laptop that has the version on Windows and its key code.

If hitting F11 to recover OS does not work, just use the keycode on that sticker.
m
l
November 13, 2011 2:04:09 PM

the key-code as electrontau mention, you don't need it as for now. Because the restore partition have it registered already.
Same if you did burn restore disks, you only use this key-code now as proof of purchase.
Alone with the key-code you can not do anything.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:04:45 PM

Brian_12 said:
Hi,

Try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections. I hope this helps you.

Brian

Good post - Safe Mode fixer, I like. But if the computer is incompacitated to begin with you can't download it & if it is on the computer already, you can't get to it and if you use a working computer to d/l to a flash, how do you get it on the infected computer ?
m
l
November 13, 2011 9:23:37 PM

As ksiemb say, please people, everyone like help and thank you for it.
But before you post something , please read about what we speak and think clearly.

With this posts you make them very confuse!

Thank you.
m
l
!