Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Rate my pc build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 16, 2010 8:31:02 PM

Hi there i need some feedback on this build, im new to the whole build your own pc experience, but i got knowledge on electronics :D .
So here's the build im thinking of:

ASUS P6X58D-E mobo
Core i7 930 2.8GHz
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 (1333MHz)
Seagate 1TB HDD
Zotac GTS450 1GB DDR5
For the case i havent decided but im between these two:
Actek Zenux 600W
Cooler Master + 600W PSU
and a generic DVD Burner from LG

Thanks for the feedback.
P.S. Im from Mexico so a lot of the hardware is not available here at the prices over in the USA.

More about : rate build

October 16, 2010 11:32:19 PM

Can you try getting more than 4GB of RAM? like maybe have like 6gb? Coolermaster HAF 932 case?
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 12:13:59 AM

Yes i think i can stretch some dough for another 2GB RAM. I've been researching some cases and i think cooler master is the way to go, i did some research on psus too and i think i dont really need the 600W, i can manage with a 500W even with SLI right?
About the HAF 932 case i think its a little way out of my budget, but thanks for the sugestion.
I think im looking for a cheaper case.
I'm concentrating my build on the inside rather than on the good looks of the outside, yeah i know the case is important for cooling and what not but i'm not that interested in it looking pretty or flashy.
About the PSU... i need one with the PCI-e connector/s for my graphics card right, if so please recommend some good ones.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2010 1:10:09 AM

If its a gaming build its hopeless . Way too much on CPU and no graphics card .

If its for browsing , email , and watching movies then it also has way more cpu power than it will need

WHAT ARE YOU USING IT FOR ?
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 1:40:16 AM

Im aiming for a balanced PC for browsing, media, and low end gaming. I chose the GTS450 because its the only DX11 capable card with low cost from Nvidia anyway, and in the future if i need more graphics power i plan to do SLI. About the CPU i chose the 930 cause i want it to last some years before i have to change to another processor.
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 2:52:32 AM

Balanced PC?
Than Your spec's should be fine, though the CPU is pretty powerful, but its good since your sort of future proofing that. 4GB RAM should be enough then.
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 3:21:19 AM

If you're getting an X58 based build (i7 920-980) then you need to use a multiple of 3 RAM sticks, so 6GB (in the form of 3 2GB sticks) is recommended.

Other stuff looks ok. I guess you could go for an i5 750/760 and a P55 board if you can source it, but if you can't don't worry about it.
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 6:55:43 PM

BurrNews said:
Balanced PC?
Than Your spec's should be fine, though the CPU is pretty powerful, but its good since your sort of future proofing that. 4GB RAM should be enough then.


Hahahaha yeah i know its a lot of processing power for a "balanced" PC. But yes im trying to have to make less future upgrades.
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 7:05:17 PM

Mark Heath said:
If you're getting an X58 based build (i7 920-980) then you need to use a multiple of 3 RAM sticks, so 6GB (in the form of 3 2GB sticks) is recommended.

Other stuff looks ok. I guess you could go for an i5 750/760 and a P55 board if you can source it, but if you can't don't worry about it.



What would the advantage of choosing an i5 over an i7, besides price. Taking into consideration i want to make this PC last some time before i need to upgrade.
I considered the X58 build cause of the 24GB RAM capability over the 16GB in most P55 i've seen.
m
0
l
October 18, 2010 10:53:35 AM

With price as no concern, then naturally the i7 route wins. Performance increase for the price is minimal but bah, if you're looking for high end hardware go for it :) 
m
0
l
October 20, 2010 3:41:10 AM

Get a EVGA SR-2. lol
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 3:58:07 AM

Ok i've been doing some research to get better prices and better hardware, and i found these:
HAF 922 for the case
Pixxo Monster 800W instead of the CM PSU
ADATA XPG Extreme 3x2GB 1333Mhz instead of the Corsair

What do you guys think?
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 7:03:43 AM

i7 930 is not much more future proof over an i5 760, just the x58 platform being able to support more ram, and the i7 930 has hyperthreading thats basically the difference, also by the time we are using 24 gb of ram your PC will be considered rubbish, get an i5 760 and a better graphics card, if you have the money to spend then get an i7 950 and an hd 6870 or 6850 (6850 is a bit under powered, but is still better than the gts 450) i7 950 at newegg is almost the same price as the i7 930
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 7:04:47 AM

if you want to future proof your PC get a high quality PSu, only get from these brands, corsair, antec, xfx, seasonic and so on
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 7:24:11 AM

your gts 450 lets the build down, and I agree with the others in terms of ram and psu, as for your hard drive, have you considered running two of those drives in raid 0? you get a big boost in speed.
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 2:25:52 AM

I've been researching the PSUs available and its kinda hard to get anything better than a Cooler Master or a Thermaltake (Thermal are too expensive, about RAM i'll get a Corsair or ADATA probably).
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 10:51:50 PM

So you got the parts? post pics when you done.
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 11:06:43 PM

just my two cents, i've had terrible luck with seagate. i'll never buy them again.
m
0
l
November 7, 2010 1:15:48 AM

If you are considering gaming than I would recommend the gtx 460 over the gts 450
m
0
l
November 7, 2010 3:00:11 PM

I'll post the pics when i get all the parts. Sadly i'm still waiting for some money to come for the final things. If i can get a good price in the GTX 460 i'll consider the purchase. But i think i can manage with the GTS 450 for middle range gaming.

I just got news that maybe an uncle will go to the USA, so i might get better hardware for a lower price, im considering buying the processor or the mobo from the USA cause they're the most expensive parts. What do you guys think?
m
0
l
November 7, 2010 11:23:15 PM

Ok there's a new twist to this complicated plot, i'm gonna order some parts form newegg to a cousin that lives in Miami, then my aunt that's going to visit will get them for me. I'm thinking of ordering the following:
Intel Core i7 950
ASUS P6X58D-E mobo
GSkill 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 Triple Channel RAM
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
Palit GeForce GTS 450 Sonic Platinum 1GB GDDR5

Here are the links for everything, what would you change?(Staying inside a $900 budget).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 12:38:13 AM

Um, by the time 16GB of RAM becomes standard, that i7-950 will feel ancient. The LGA 1366 platform won't last more than a year longer than the 1156, so save your money. This is a nice i5-760 + P55 mobo combo, and for the same price as that i7 alone. Pick up a low latency set of dual channel RAM and you're set. That just saved you about $250, which you can put towards a graphics upgrade if/when you need it. Even if this rig isn't primarily for gaming, you aren't doing anything with it (from what you've listed) that would favor an i7 over the i5.
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 1:29:35 AM

blackjellognomes said:
Um, by the time 16GB of RAM becomes standard, that i7-950 will feel ancient. The LGA 1366 platform won't last more than a year longer than the 1156, so save your money. This is a nice i5-760 + P55 mobo combo, and for the same price as that i7 alone. Pick up a low latency set of dual channel RAM and you're set. That just saved you about $250, which you can put towards a graphics upgrade if/when you need it. Even if this rig isn't primarily for gaming, you aren't doing anything with it (from what you've listed) that would favor an i7 over the i5.



If i should go with the i5 760, could i overclock it better than the i7 950?
With hyperthreading the i7 will come in handy in the future, also in future upgrades wont the LGA 1156 be out of the picture in the next year?
I know 16GB of RAM is still a long way to go but having those 6 slots that i can fill with cheap RAMs then gradualy upgrade, is reasuring to me :D .
About the graphic card i'm still wondering about it i know the GTS 450 is nowhere near the GTX 460, but the price difference has made me keep my choice.
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 2:26:17 AM

isgutre said:
If i should go with the i5 760, could i overclock it better than the i7 950?
With hyperthreading the i7 will come in handy in the future, also in future upgrades wont the LGA 1156 be out of the picture in the next year?
I know 16GB of RAM is still a long way to go but having those 6 slots that i can fill with cheap RAMs then gradualy upgrade, is reasuring to me :D .
About the graphic card i'm still wondering about it i know the GTS 450 is nowhere near the GTX 460, but the price difference has made me keep my choice.
Depends on your definition of "better". The i7-950's max OC will probably be higher than the i5-760's, but the 760 can OC more from it's stock clock. I see that you're set on future-proofing though, and in this case, I highly suggest waiting for Sandy Bridge. The new Intel procs will use the LGA 1155 platform, so they're guaranteed at least a few years of life after the LGA 1366 and 1156 platforms have become obsolete.
The HD 5770 is somewhere between the 450 and 460 (closer to the 450), if you're not an nVidia-only guy. But I've seen the GTX 460 768MB sell for just $115, so maybe you should just keep an eye out for deals.
m
0
l
!