Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Old games in more recent hardware...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2010 7:56:39 PM

Hi all.

Well, I finally decided to upgrade my very old Nvidia 7300LE card with a ATI HD4350 512 (with hypermemory to 1GB).

Yes, the differences are amazing, BUT several games that at least ran in the Nvidia cannot even load on the ATI.

Two of the games I wanted desperatly to play at higher resolutions are Tron 2.0 (I've tried the 3DAnalyzer program to no avail) and Bully Scholarship Edition, which starts off ok, but freezes in the middle of nowhere.

I'm beginning to wonder if I chose the right card. I promised myself I was NOT going to install games, but the temptation was too big. I really wanted to play Tron, but I cannot make it.

I am running Catalyst drivers 10, Windows XP SP2, 3GB ram, Core2Duo 6300 @ 1.86GHz.

Has anyone been able to play these games with this hardware?

Thanx in advance.

More about : games recent hardware

a b Î Nvidia
August 30, 2010 8:04:40 PM

Firstly did you use driver sweeper to completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers first?
1) Download and Install Driver Sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
2) Using your Control Panal delete all Nvidia and ATI display drivers.
3) Use Driver Sweeper to remove any traces of Nvidia/ATI display drivers.
4) Reboot in safemode and repeat step 3.
5) Download and Install the "next" latest ATI dirvers, I assume you tried 10.8, so try 10.7 next.

Try different drivers, 10.4-10.8, the new ATI drivers are rather buggy for most people, but start at 10.8 work your way back to 10.4 and see if you can't find some that work for you.

Lastly, its possibly that those games just will not run well on those cards. Although I don't see that problem with those games, they are not too old, and that 4350 isn't too new.
Score
August 30, 2010 8:07:13 PM

I would also suggest installing sp3 for win xp. Might solve some probs. :p 
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 30, 2010 8:08:09 PM

sl83r said:
I would also suggest installing sp3 for win xp. Might solve some probs. :p 

Yeah, that too.
Score
August 30, 2010 8:53:16 PM

Thank you, guys. You're FAST!

@ Helltech: i cleaned my drivers already because I went with Catalyst 10, then 8, then 9 just to test.

@ sl83r: what is the overall improvement with sp3? i have put it off because i haven't really read anything very important in it but i might be wrong.

and finally, i can verify that i am playing tron 2.0 now thanx to the unofficial patch found here. i tried the offical patch first but it didn't work. the unofficial patch does!

i still have to solve the Bully issue.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 30, 2010 8:57:15 PM

You don't want to go from 10, to 8, to 9. Stick with ten. But you must try 10.4,10.5...10.8.

Also if you didn't clean the drivers "overwriting" them with a different type is not cleaning. You must clean before you install a different driver number.

SP3 is pretty necessary its the last "upgrade" for Windows XP.
Score
August 30, 2010 9:39:18 PM

Helltech said:
You don't want to go from 10, to 8, to 9. Stick with ten. But you must try 10.4,10.5...10.8.

Also if you didn't clean the drivers "overwriting" them with a different type is not cleaning. You must clean before you install a different driver number.

SP3 is very necessary as stated by Helltech, also with sp3 you will continue to get your windows updates, sp2 support for that has either ended or will be ending shortly.
Score
August 31, 2010 12:22:10 AM

Helltech said:

Yeah, that's what I did: install drivers, test, clean... install upgrade, test, clean... until i got to 10.

that 4350 isn't too new. said:
that 4350 isn't too new.
tell me about it, that's I went for "recent hardware" in the post's title. ;)  the reason i didn't get a better card is i got a ps3 system for gaming. but the temptation was too big, specially with tron 2.0.
Score
September 1, 2010 8:17:31 AM

Well, some updates in this matter:

1) i used gpu-z to check the temperatures of my card and lo and behold, the were hitting 100°C when playing some games, at which point any game obviously froze (burnout paradise, in this particular case).

2) i read a little bit about it and, while several games are known for the poor coding and behaviour on pc (such as Burnout Paradise, Bully, Driver Paralell Lines) i thought it wasn't possible that every single game was acting up on my setup.

3) i also read a lot of problems regarding the passive cooling (just a fancy word to say "no fan") of the hd4350 and the quite small and poor cooler. i yanked a processor fan from an old cpu i had, connected it to my motherboard and placed it on top (with a bit of surgery to use the fan's own casing) of my video card and, once again, lo and behold, temperatures idle are 41° (78° previously) and never over 60° while gaming (99° while playing paradise burnout).

i actually am able to play bully now, albeit the program exits unexpectedly and burnout paradise still freezes mid game (and as i read in several forums this is quite common: the nitro bar is still animated, but the rest of the scene just stops), but at least i am able to play several minutes.

this is not a victory, but at least i was able to overcome some problems and learn A LOT in the process. i am still considering switching to a 128-bit hd 4650, only trouble is i cannot find one that has HDMI audio here in mexico, cause i am planning to connect it to my home theater for some audio mastering (i am a musician too and i am on the verge of produce some surround music).

i wish games were written with the care and sophistication (not only technical sophistication, but story-wise) as tron 2.0 was. this game is flawless. it NEVER freezes, never hangs, textures are NEVER missing. and the story, well... for tech guys, the story is just wonderful. but i digress.
Score
September 1, 2010 8:20:26 AM

OH, and of course i installed XP SP3!
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2010 8:41:24 AM

When you mod the fan on the GPU, put the fan on the heatsink itself and have air from the bottom of the case blowing onto the heatsink (cool air should be blowing "up""into" the GPU. Although you have already dropped the temps a lot so thats good.
September 1, 2010 3:54:47 PM

Glad to hear you have a majority of your problems solved Mauf :D  Your temps sound like they are about right, even for burnout as that is a pretty intesive gpu game. And yes Helltech is correct in that the air should be blowing up into the gpu. I've even run into the card temp issue in the past using a dual slot card(the airflow on those come in from the back of the card and pass through the back of the case.) Hope you get the rest sorted out :sol: 
Score
September 2, 2010 2:51:38 AM

Another nail in the coffin for Bully:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/4468

I've been able to play nonstop, glitch-free.

BTW, I am condensing all the workarounds I find because most times, you find a forum topic that interests you only to find that it dies midair, people finding solutions but never reporting them back. I find that very annoying.
Score
September 2, 2010 4:56:16 PM

Thats the best thing you can do Mauf, try all the diff workarounds and use what works best for you, even if it means hitting other forums. Glad to hear about Bullly also. :D 
Score
September 10, 2010 2:07:35 AM

Best answer selected by MauF.
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 2:09:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!