Sign in with
Your question

Are ssd's worth it?

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2013 4:33:55 AM

I am thinking about getting a ssd for my pc but I want to know what are the benefits of having a ssd.

My pc parts:

- ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+

- GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB

- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

- AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

- LITE-ON ihas124b DVD Drive

- Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

- Thermaltake Versa II VO700A1N3N Black SGCC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

More about : ssd worth

a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 4:41:52 AM

The obvious answer is speed. An ssd will decrease boot and load times for your programs. The only down side is their limited space. So this means you'll either have to spend a lot of money to get the space to install all your programs/games or be more selective of what you install in your system.

Since ssd don't improve program performance only you can decide if the switch is worth it. But I have had some friends buy good ssd drives and not notice any difference in their rigs.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 4:50:33 AM

PsyKhiqZero said:
The obvious answer is speed. An ssd will decrease boot and load times for your programs. The only down side is their limited space. So this means you'll either have to spend a lot of money to get the space to install all your programs/games or be more selective of what you install in your system.

Since ssd don't improve program performance only you can decide if the switch is worth it. But I have had some friends buy good ssd drives and not notice any difference in their rigs.

If one uses a ssd through caching(smart response was it?) through intels rapid storage technology, the computer will allocate commonly used programs to the ssds cache(not entirely, but a handful of files) so that the files boot quicker without it being on the ssd entirely.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 5:05:52 AM

Yes, I really like Intel's SSD caching. I use it with my gaming drive in my rig. They do make caching SSD's that come with software for use with AMD based systems. Off the top of my head the Sandisk Readycache and the Corsair accelerator.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2013 5:29:18 AM

Getting a SSD makes your system much faster regarding access, these little loading stuttering are gone. Interaction is much faster.
Saying not feeling having a SSD sounds difficult for me, I upgraded over 30 Notebooks last year and the difference was always feel able.
m
l
!