Phenom II 965BE 60C-64C, is it normal?

Hi, I have a 965BE which i overclocked to 3.96 ghz from 3.4 ghz stock. Everything runs stable without any problem, its just while playing games it goes upto 64C and gradually cools down to 50C-60C, the AMD website states 65C as safe temperature but I wanna make sure that its actually safe or not. I'm using the stock cooler and monitor the temp through HWmonitor Pro.

Is the temperature safe or should I downclock till I get an aftermarket cooler? Please advice....
7 answers Last reply
More about phenom 965be normal
  1. Yeah keeping it under 70C under load shouldn't cause you any problems.

50-60C idle seems too high though, you could try refitting your heatsink.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If you are gonna run it at those temps frequently though I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

The Hyper 212+ is cheap and capable unless you want to spend more money.
  2. ^ I am yet to find the spread technique better than the dot technique, maybe I'm not spreading em right. :o
  3. 62C s the max as stated above, so I would say you don't want to see over 55C incase something pushes it over your normal useage. Just my opinion take a bigger risk if you want. Also as already stated the 212+ is great for the money and should get your temps back to where you want them.
  4. I didn't think it was important to cover the whole surface as the core heat is generated through the centre of the sink.

I just give everything a good clean with Arcticlean then a rice grain dot in the middle and slap it on.
    Give it a little wiggle when secured and away I go.

My 555 unlocked to a quad @3.6ghz with a SI128 ides @26C and loads 54C.

Whatever works can't be bad really.
  5. Sorry guys but I disagree.

Something above 55ºC isn't good, more if you keep in mind that exist a 5ºC-10ºC difference between the temps that you see and the real temp.
  6. beanoslim said:
    Yeah keeping it under 70C under load shouldn't cause you any problems.

50-60C idle seems too high though, you could try refitting your heatsink.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If you are gonna run it at those temps frequently though I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

The Hyper 212+ is cheap and capable unless you want to spend more money.

Thanks for the advice mate, I think I'll get a new cooler as soon as I have enough money, better safe than sorry. Just to be clear the normal temp at idle is below 40C, normally 38-39C. What I mean to say was, it gradually cools down to 50C range while the game is still running, not while idle.
  7. Oh, sounds more normal then, the temps are gonna rise with an OC and stock cooling.

Prologed use at 65-70C isn't ever going to do it any good but I don't think its a fatal temp to be hitting occasionally.

New cooler is ya best option, where are you buying from and what can you spend.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Temperature Phenom