Phenom II 965BE 60C-64C, is it normal?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Temperature
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:29:59 PM

Hi, I have a 965BE which i overclocked to 3.96 ghz from 3.4 ghz stock. Everything runs stable without any problem, its just while playing games it goes upto 64C and gradually cools down to 50C-60C, the AMD website states 65C as safe temperature but I wanna make sure that its actually safe or not. I'm using the stock cooler and monitor the temp through HWmonitor Pro.

Is the temperature safe or should I downclock till I get an aftermarket cooler? Please advice....

More about : phenom 965be 60c 64c normal

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 12:38:44 PM

Yeah keeping it under 70C under load shouldn't cause you any problems.

50-60C idle seems too high though, you could try refitting your heatsink.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If you are gonna run it at those temps frequently though I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

The Hyper 212+ is cheap and capable unless you want to spend more money.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:10:18 PM

^ I am yet to find the spread technique better than the dot technique, maybe I'm not spreading em right. :o 
Related resources
a c 104 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:24:16 PM

62C s the max as stated above, so I would say you don't want to see over 55C incase something pushes it over your normal useage. Just my opinion take a bigger risk if you want. Also as already stated the 212+ is great for the money and should get your temps back to where you want them.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:24:17 PM

I didn't think it was important to cover the whole surface as the core heat is generated through the centre of the sink.

I just give everything a good clean with Arcticlean then a rice grain dot in the middle and slap it on.
Give it a little wiggle when secured and away I go.

My 555 unlocked to a quad @3.6ghz with a SI128 ides @26C and loads 54C.

Whatever works can't be bad really.
a c 162 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:34:00 PM

Sorry guys but I disagree.

Something above 55ºC isn't good, more if you keep in mind that exist a 5ºC-10ºC difference between the temps that you see and the real temp.
January 11, 2011 2:43:47 PM

beanoslim said:
Yeah keeping it under 70C under load shouldn't cause you any problems.

50-60C idle seems too high though, you could try refitting your heatsink.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If you are gonna run it at those temps frequently though I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

The Hyper 212+ is cheap and capable unless you want to spend more money.

Thanks for the advice mate, I think I'll get a new cooler as soon as I have enough money, better safe than sorry. Just to be clear the normal temp at idle is below 40C, normally 38-39C. What I mean to say was, it gradually cools down to 50C range while the game is still running, not while idle.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 2:58:25 PM

Oh, sounds more normal then, the temps are gonna rise with an OC and stock cooling.

Prologed use at 65-70C isn't ever going to do it any good but I don't think its a fatal temp to be hitting occasionally.

New cooler is ya best option, where are you buying from and what can you spend.
!