Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bootmgr Is Missing, Cannot get it to repair or move to other drive.

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2013 5:08:30 AM

Hello, I have a problem that has been baffling me for quite some time now, And I can't figure out how to fix it.

Long story short, A hard drive crapped out in my computer while I had Windows 7 and Ubuntu on a dual boot setup, For the last year or two now I've left it plugged in because when I try to remove it, I get the error:

Bootmgr Is Missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL

I must note the hard drive is not completely dead, When I reformatted the other drive, It can still detect the messed up one, And I have deleted the partition and everything, It's just sitting there blank and I'd prefer not to use it.
Back to the problem at hand, I can't seem to repair the bootmgr and whenever I try to remove it I constantly get the error...I have already tried to repair it using a Windows 7 disc, Both automatically and by using the cmd prompt command: bootrec/fixboot

Any help would be much appreciated.

MSI 870-G46
Phenom II X4 B50
8GB DDR3
eVga GTX 460
January 25, 2013 8:01:23 AM

Let me clear myself. You tried to dual boot Win7 and ubuntu and you crapped it. Then you deleted the partition of win7?? And do you now have access to ubuntu??
m
l
January 25, 2013 3:49:43 PM

jayadratha said:
Let me clear myself. You tried to dual boot Win7 and ubuntu and you crapped it. Then you deleted the partition of win7?? And do you now have access to ubuntu??

The dual boot was successful for a few months, Until the hard drive started acting up and finally stopped working properly, It was an old 80gb i ripped out of an E-Machines computer. Anyways, I deleted both partitions on it when I reformatted the other drive so I don't have access to Ubuntu anymore. It's really starting to baffle me that I can't just remove the 80gb, Even though It's not being used at the moment, It has no partitions or anything installed on it for that matter, Whenever I try to repair it using the Windows 7 disc, It detects the drive, Calling it the (D: ) drive for some reason, And it claims there is nothing to repair.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped lol.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 25, 2013 6:31:01 PM

As per I understand you have one choice. Try to install on that partition which is showing as D:. The old windows will be stored in a folder named old.windows. And after install you can delete that folder. All will be fine.
January 26, 2013 12:56:23 AM

jayadratha said:
As per I understand you have one choice. Try to install on that partition which is showing as D:. The old windows will be stored in a folder named old.windows. And after install you can delete that folder. All will be fine.

I'll give that a shot either tonight or in the morning and I'll report back, I just walked in from work.
Thanks though!
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:16:48 AM

Hey Jay, Sorry about the late response, I have been bed-ridden for most of this week thanks to my brother bringing home his flu.. :cry: 

I'm going to give that a try this weekend, And I'll get back to you on it. I just didn't want you to think I forgot about you :kaola: 

Thanks again.

jayadratha said:

m
l
May 22, 2013 12:09:07 PM

jayadratha said:

m
l
!