Problem during boot with my new(ish) home build.

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hey TH peoples.

So, I came to this forum a month or two ago with an issue which no-one seemed to be able to help me with.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291790-31-problem-boot-home-build

After giving up on the thread from lack of responses, the problem somehow solved itself.
However, yesterday the issue started happening again.
For those that don't want to read the other thread. I will repost what happens here.

When I boot the computer, it appears to freeze (or pause) during the startup and then continue as usual about 5 minutes later.

Once I press the power button, this screen appears within 5 seconds (as it always has).
Image726.jpg

However, it then pauses for a number of minutes before the rest of the screen loads.
Showing this:
Image727.jpg

What normally (used to) happen is that the first of those screenshots only appears for a few seconds and then the rest of the screen loads.

My system is:
i7 930
Gigabyte
x58a ud3r
3x 2gb of Corsair memory
Radeon 5850 1gb graphics card

Thanks in advance.
-B

Solution
However.
I found a solution.
I unplugged my USB "expander board". I don't know the real word, but the thing you plug into a USB port and it gives you 26 slots in return...
And... It booted perfectly...
Any idea how that could have had an impact?

It comes back to my original theory that your computer was looking for hard drives, 26 possible drives would take a long time to check as it would wait for a few seconds for the ready signal on every possible drive

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Sorry.
To clarify what I wrote.

I know XP only supports 4GB (hence why I wrote, "I assume it only shows the 4 because I am using XP...").
What I wasn't aware of was that that could cause an issue if more than that was installed...

Once I finish using my computer I will take out a stick and try it.
I'm still a very new builder.
Anything to be aware of doing this?

---------------

And any other thoughts?

-B

As has previously been stated it appears that the computer is getting stuck on the memory test. Have you checked the BIOS to see if quick boot (or equivalent) has been enabled? Another cause for the computer to become stuck at this point is a failing hard drive; the computer could be waiting for a hard drive to become ready.

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@ Rolli.
Cool.
Thanks.
Will do.

@ pjm.
I have not.
But I will certaintly do that.
Would resetting the BIOS be a decent idea?
(I have changed very few settings and can always change them back).

Is there a software way to do an HD check?
I hope my 64GB SSD isn't dying after a few months...
:-/

-B

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Ok.
I didn't have Quick Boot Enabled.
And everything else in BIOS seemed pretty normal.
Worth resetting it to defaults?
Or even resetting CMOS?

Haven't taken the RAM out yet.
(Don't have time right now).

Again.
Is there any way to do an HD Check?

-B

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
So.
Reset CMOS.
No difference...
:-(

What I did notice though...
Is that it found 6gb of memory rather than 4 (as in picture) last time it restarted.
Could this mean anything?

-------------------------------------

As another thought.
Could external accessories play a role in this?
Just because I have a rather large number of USB items plugged into the computer...
Or would that not make a difference?

-B

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Thanks for that.
I hadn't read that before I bought it (and I did a LOT of research... Haha).

However.
I found a solution.
I unplugged my USB "expander board". I don't know the real word, but the thing you plug into a USB port and it gives you 26 slots in return...

-B

However.
I found a solution.

It comes back to my original theory that your computer was looking for hard drives, 26 possible drives would take a long time to check as it would wait for a few seconds for the ready signal on every possible drive

Solution

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@rolli.
No...
I have never unplugged it (maybe some specific attachments, but not the whole thing).

And I immediately plugged it back in after I started it without and it still starts normally now with it back in...
So... I'm confused...

@pjm.
Indeed.
It is what you said, just couldnt work out the symptom from the casue.
Haha.

-------------------

Any ideas why it only sporadically happens?
:-/

Thanks guys!
-B