Sign in with
Your question

Win7 64bit upgrade different from clean install?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2009 4:11:14 PM

hey im a weird guy.. i like fresh installs on a Zero'd hard drive... i got win7 64bit but its an upgrade disk only.. i have legit xp64bit right now... my question is this... the option that says " all information will be lost" or somethign like that is that a fresh install where it formats the drive and then installs a fresh windows 7 install? or does it just convert the old files and liek a normal install?
December 28, 2009 4:25:38 PM

sounds like a fresh install to me. Does Win7 64 upgrade from XP64?
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 4:41:02 PM

With Windows 7 upgrade, you have the option of either upgrading your previous windows installation or the preferred method of doing a clean installation in which you can delete your partition/s, then create new partition/s or just format the existing Partition.

The only thing is with the upgrade, if you don't have the original media on hand from the previous installation, then make sure you create backup disks first just in case you ever need them again. (such as in a Re-installation of windows 7 - Again)
Related resources
December 28, 2009 4:57:49 PM

so it isnt some janky upgrade install it is a legit clean install fresh start?
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 5:03:48 PM

As long as you own a qualifying previous version of Windows, then Yes it is Legit. :) 
December 30, 2009 4:30:16 AM

oneofusjustin, i am just like you i like full formatted storage devices and a fresh install when reinstalling the OS. I have win7 x64 Upgrade version. It gives you two methods of installing, it can basically just overwrite your existing OS and do a wierd install or it can do a destructive install where all partitions are deleted, fully formatted into NTFS and a fresh installation(as far as i can tell). So yes its fine and legit, and BTW i have the upgrade version and it never asked me provide any CD key from my windows xp cd or anything it just installed like a normal version idk why...

btw if it doesn't do a full format, download a freeware called ultimate boot Cd and burn to a disk and it has like a 100 different tools for hardware like HDD formatters, testers, memory testers, benchmarking software...etc. Its a simple bootable CD and it has HDDerase on it also ;) 
December 30, 2009 8:16:49 AM

With an upgrade disk/license, can you do a clean install with an already blank/new hard drive?

edit: I have both xp and vista but don't want to install it on an SSD first just to install 7 afterwards
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2009 2:02:30 PM

Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
You get both 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's. You can update in place only 32 to 32 or 64 to 64.
If you need to go from 32 to 64, then a clean install(format, erase all) is required.

There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install windows-7 from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code or activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional OS for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the dvd again, while running Windows and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.
!