Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful little
pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I picked up somewhere
or part of a semi-official bonus pack.

My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that effect). You
fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent floating skull appeared over his
corpse (or giblets), and you knew you were gonna be toast in about one
second, when that skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I hated
seeing that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least expect
it... expect it.

~ SomeOldDude

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:01:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful little
>pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I picked up somewhere
>or part of a semi-official bonus pack.
>
>My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that effect). You
>fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent floating skull appeared over his
>corpse (or giblets), and you knew you were gonna be toast in about one
>second, when that skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I hated
>seeing that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least expect
>it... expect it.

I had *so* many friends who simply refused to play UT deathmatch
unless relics were enabled, and of those most of 'em went after that
Nuke Skull as quickly as possible. We'd play on a small map (don't
remember names), the skull holder would go to the center of the room
and stand still. After a while we learned not to target that person
:) Of course, people started pulling the trick *without* the skull
and seeing how many frags they could get while nobody fired back at
them. Good fun.

-s-

# SomeOldDude

> Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful
> little pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I picked
> up somewhere or part of a semi-official bonus pack.
>
> My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that effect).
> You fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent floating skull appeared
> over his corpse (or giblets), and you knew you were gonna be toast in
> about one second, when that skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized
> blast. I hated seeing that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway.
> When you least expect it... expect it.
>
> ~ SomeOldDude

Yeah, I remember that, was it part of the bonus pack? PErsonally, I
really miss the grappling hook from Q3A's instagib. That would be great
to try out in UT2K4.

--
Pokemon Box ebay auction
http://tinyurl.com/yw9er

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> Blessed us with

> Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful
> little pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I
> picked up somewhere or part of a semi-official bonus pack.

Yes! These are in one of the bounus packs but I can't recall
which one exactly.

> My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that
> effect). You fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent
> floating skull appeared over his corpse (or giblets), and you
> knew you were gonna be toast in about one second, when that
> skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I hated seeing
> that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least
> expect it... expect it.

It was called Vengeance in the game and it's my least favorite of
the relics. In the script it is called 'RelicDeath'. One should
not have to hunt a place to hide before killing someone, it just
takes the fun out of aiming, moving, and shooting. My favorite
was the Regen relic that increases your health to 150 by 10 health
every second. I also liked the Redemption relic because it was the
best one to have if you encountered someone with the Vengeance
relic and didn't have anywhere to hide, you would then be respawned
without dying with all of your weapons for another chance. The
Vengeance relic also gave rise to snipers because if you were far
enough away from the explosion you didn't get hurt and this also
subtracted from the *fun* of a game IMO. The relics have some
problems though as they will sometimes for no apparent reason pop
out on the floor as if you had thrown them away but they also take
*all* of your weapons away too, leaving you to be a sitting
duck!. :-( Maybe someone will port the relics to UT2k3 or 2k4.
They may have done that already I don't know.

> ~ SomeOldDude

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

On 08 Jun 2004 14:33:49 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

>"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> Blessed us with
>
>> Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful
>> little pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I
>> picked up somewhere or part of a semi-official bonus pack.
>
>Yes! These are in one of the bounus packs but I can't recall
>which one exactly.
>
>> My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that
>> effect). You fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent
>> floating skull appeared over his corpse (or giblets), and you
>> knew you were gonna be toast in about one second, when that
>> skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I hated seeing
>> that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least
>> expect it... expect it.
>
>It was called Vengeance in the game and it's my least favorite of
>the relics. In the script it is called 'RelicDeath'. One should
>not have to hunt a place to hide before killing someone, it just
>takes the fun out of aiming, moving, and shooting.

While I agree in general, knowing that you were coming into a game
with that relic present should alter your playing style. With the
right mindset, the skull was great fun. Yeah, you might die
instantly, but its the same thing in insta-gib. Some of the most fun
and most high-energy games I ever had in UT was with the Relics.

>My favorite
>was the Regen relic that increases your health to 150 by 10 health
>every second. I also liked the Redemption relic because it was the
>best one to have if you encountered someone with the Vengeance
>relic and didn't have anywhere to hide, you would then be respawned
>without dying with all of your weapons for another chance.

My guess is that you tend to play like my own personal preference - I
enjoy the weapon management aspect of FPS's and normally hate going
into combat without a full load of weapons and armor. Other players
are perfectly fine with getting off one or two frags, dying,
respawning, and loop - I prefer to charge up and make 5-10 kills
before dying myself. For that style of player, that relic surely was
a pain. If you couldn't adjust to the different style it was probably
better for you not to play those games at all, it was surely
frustrating. But it *was* fun if you came to the game with the
attitude of "yeah, I'm gonna die much more often than normal, but so
will everyone else if I get the relic first!"

-s-

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> wrote in message
> Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful little
> pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I picked up
somewhere
> or part of a semi-official bonus pack.
>
> My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that effect). You
> fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent floating skull appeared over
his
> corpse (or giblets), and you knew you were gonna be toast in about one
> second, when that skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I hated
> seeing that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least expect
> it... expect it.
>
> ~ SomeOldDude

Here are some for UT2004, I have not tried them yet so YMMV.
http://jolle.se/ut/index.php?cat=ut2k4&sub=mutators

wrote:

>Remember "Relics" from the original UT? Those unusual, powerful
little
>pick-ups? I can't recall whether Relics was a mutator I picked up
somewhere
>or part of a semi-official bonus pack.
>
>My favorite was called "Retribution" (or something to that effect).
You
>fragged a guy, and a big, semi-transparent floating skull appeared
over his
>corpse (or giblets), and you knew you were gonna be toast in about
one
>second, when that skull cut loose with a Redeemer sized blast. I
hated
>seeing that skull appear, but had to laugh anyway. When you least
expect
>it... expect it.
>
>~ SomeOldDude

Hey!

I'm using the UT2K3 version of Relics and they work fine. With the new
non-beta patch, there's even a way to modify how Relics works in the
menu!

Just google-search for Relics for Ut2K3 and you'll find them!

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002